posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:05 PM
lwts try this again and see if i can get it right this time
Botched fireworks show causes problems at football game
The Associated Press
Last Updated 7:27 am PDT Monday, May 17, 2004
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) - A fireworks show before an indoor football game went awry and filled the coliseum with smoke, sending everyone outside
trying to catch their breath. Two people sought treatment for respiratory problems.
The Corpus Christi Hammerheads game was delayed 45 minutes Sunday because of the smoke.
"It felt like I was choking," said Denise Gipson. "As I tried to take a deep breath, it felt like I couldn't get any air."
Players were sprawled on the grass outside the coliseum trying to catch their breath. Emergency officials administered oxygen to several players and
some fans with asthma. At least two fans were carried out on stretchers and treated in a waiting ambulance.
The pre-game show was approved by fire officials, but Assistant Fire Chief Mike Hernandez said the pyrotechnics group didn't follow the plan.
"They said they would just use a few, but they ended up using a lot more than that," he said.
Chad Dittman, Hammerheads owner and Intense Football League founder, disputed Hernandez's claims. "I can't explain what happened, but it's
unfortunate, and it will be the last time we have fireworks," he said.