It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: 2004 NFL Draft

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yeah, San Diego takes Manning. I'm looking for a trade to happen here, I bet the Giants take Phillip Rivers.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Giants trade QB Philip Rivers, 3rd round pick this year, 1st and 5th round picks in 2005 with San Diego for Eli Manning.

[Edited on 4/24/2004 by crayon]

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon
Giants trade QB Philip Rivers, 3rd round pick this year, 1st and 5th round picks in 2005 with San Diego for Eli Manning.

[Edited on 4/24/2004 by crayon]

Way too much. So why in the heck didn't they make the trade before the draft started?

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
We won't know if it is too much until they play. Manning could suck in the NFL. There are other players that shined in college but could not do it in the NFL.

I am just glad SD does not have him. I don't want to see a Manning play against my Chiefs twice a year.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon
I am just glad SD does not have him. I don't want to see a Manning play against my Chiefs twice a year.

Yeah, but now my team's gotta face him twice a year

hopefully he does suck...

Ben

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Well i got news for you guys He isnt going to suck. he has a talent of WR and a Te in the named of Shockey.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
F*** Shockey and his piss poor attitude. He thinks he should be listed as the best TE just because of who he is. He has yet to prove his potential. And he is a hothead, that does not make you the best. Show me that you can do it game in and game out for 10 years. Then we can say you are the greatest.

Sharpe. Currently the greatest TE to have played the game.

Gonzalez. Could very well end up being the greatest TE to play the the game.

Shockey. What have you done for me lately? Hows that injury?

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Here is how the first round played out. Lots of interesting trades.

PK(OVR) TEAM NAME POS SCHOOL
1(1) San Diego ELI MANNING QB MISSISSIPPI
2(2) Oakland ROBERT GALLERY OT IOWA
3(3) Arizona LARRY FITZGERALD WR PITTSBURGH
4(4) NY Giants PHILIP RIVERS QB NORTH CAROLINA ST
5(5) Washington SEAN TAYLOR S MIAMI (FLA.)
6(6) Cleveland (from Detroit) KELLEN WINSLOW TE MIAMI (FLA.)
7(7) Detroit (from Cleveland) ROY WILLIAMS WR TEXAS
8(8) Atlanta DEANGELO HALL CB VIRGINIA TECH
9(9) Jacksonville REGGIE WILLIAMS WR WASHINGTON
10(10) Houston DUNTA ROBINSON CB SOUTH CAROLINA
11(11) Pittsburgh BEN ROETHLISBERGER QB MIAMI (OHIO)
12(12) NY Jets JONATHAN VILMA ILB MIAMI (FLA.)
13(13) Buffalo LEE EVANS WR WISCONSIN
14(14) Chicago TOMMIE HARRIS DT OKLAHOMA
15(15) Tampa Bay MICHAEL CLAYTON WR LSU
16(16) Philadelphia (from San Francisco) SHAWN ANDREWS OT ARKANSAS
17(17) Denver (from Cincinnati) D.J. WILLIAMS OLB MIAMI (FLA.)
18(18) New Orleans WILL SMITH DE OHIO STATE
19(19) Miami (from Minnesota) VERNON CAREY OG MIAMI (FLA.)
20(20) Minnesota (from Miami) KENECHI UDEZE DE USC
21(21) New England (from Baltimore) VINCE WILFORK DT MIAMI (FLA.)
22(22) Buffalo (from Dallas) J.P LOSMAN QB TULANE
23(23) Seattle MARCUS TUBBS DT TEXAS
24(24) St. Louis (from Denver through Cincinnati) STEVEN JACKSON RB OREGON STATE
25(25) Green Bay AHMAD CARROLL CB ARKANSAS
26(26) Cincinnati (from St. Louis) CHRIS PERRY RB MICHIGAN
27(27) Houston (from Tennessee) JASON BABIN DE WESTERN MICHIGAN
28(28) Carolina (from Philadelphia through San Francisco) CHRIS GAMBLE CB OHIO STATE
29(29) Atlanta (from Indianapolis) MIKE JENKINS WR OHIO STATE
30(30) Detroit (from Kansas City) KEVIN JONES RB VIRGINIA TECH
31(31) San Francisco (from Carolina) RASHAUN WOODS WR OKLAHOMA STATE
32(32) New England BENJAMIN WATSON TE GEORGIA

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I want to know WTF the Cowboys were thinking when they passed up on the best RB in the draft in Steven Jackson and ended up with Julius Jones from Notre Dame and a first round from Buffalo next year. Do they think they're still rebuilding? Heck, they made the playoffs this year, i dont like the trade-down by the Cowboys at all, I think they should have scooped up Jackson or at least Kevin Jones.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Yeah I don't get that move by Dallas either. They need a running back, badly. I think it was a mistake. Maybe there is something else behind the scenes that we are not seeing.

Only time will tell. But I think it was a bad move. Quincy Carter needs someone in the backfield to take the pressure off of him, and the Cowboys did not do that.

Ben

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
They did get a good running back from Notre Damn. He has great balance and h as a great career in the college level, i wouldnt under-estimate this kid at all.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a bit long but a great read from the seattle times

Sunday, April 25, 2004 - Page updated at 12:00 A.M.

Steve Kelley / Times staff columnist
Selfishness shines more brilliantly alongside sacrifice in NFL draft

ED BETZ / AP
Eli Manning was much happier yesterday after the New York Giants made a trade with the San Diego Chargers for the ex-Ole Miss quarterback.

E-mail this article

Print this article

Search archive

Related stories

Eli Manning gets his wish in the end

Eli Manning picked a bad week to manipulate the draft.

In the same week former Arizona Cardinals safety Pat Tillman made the ultimate selfless sacrifice, surrendering his life fighting for his country, Eli Manning was the ultimate in selfishness.

In the same week Tillman was killed in the hellish desolation of Afghanistan, Manning whined to the Chargers that he wouldn't play for them. He said he'd sit out the season and make himself eligible for the 2005 draft rather than play for San Diego.

So when San Diego took Manning with the first pick in yesterday's NFL draft, he refused to smile and petulantly held the Chargers' jersey as if it were toxic.

He ignored the offer of the Chargers hat and looked as uncomfortable on the midtown Manhattan stage as Rosie O'Donnell in "Grease."

An hour later Manning was all smiles.

He no longer was a Charger. The New York Giants drafted Philip Rivers and traded him and a gaggle of prime draft picks for Manning. And Eli's smile beamed across the country as if he were named the winner on "American Idol."

"I don't think so," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren answered when asked if he would have let the Mannings — Eli and his father Archie — manipulate him as they did the Chargers. "And after I got off my initial shock and maybe my stubbornness, well, I can't imagine that happening. I really can't.

"I'd think there would be some way I could fix that. I think I'd kind of dig in my heels. I don't know the whole story on this one, but on the surface I don't understand this one too much. I would think San Diego would be a pretty cool place to play."

Yo, Eli. A little perspective here.

Pat Tillman died Thursday and his death touched every American, football fan or not. He believed in his country's war on terrorism so much he gave up the good life, gave up his three-year, $3.6 million contract with Arizona to be part of that war.

Tillman believed in something other than himself.

"Every time you see a player get busted for drugs or a player getting arrested for beating his wife, I believe it reflects on all of the NFL," former NFL quarterback Hugh Millen said yesterday. "But now we take so much pride in what Pat Tillman has done, his sacrifices. He is the best the NFL can offer.

"People will remember him. People will know about Pat Tillman. I have kids who are 1 and 3, and I'm going to put a picture of Tillman on my desk and tell them he's the finest example this league has ever had."

Tillman believed in loyalty so much he once turned down a five-year, $9 million contract offer from the St. Louis Rams and accepted the Cardinals' $3.6 million deal because he thought he owed allegiance to the team that drafted him.

The draft meant something to Tillman. He understood how important it has been to the league's success.

The draft has helped make the NFL enormously profitable and, in part because of the draft, you will be offered a $15 million signing bonus by the Giants. Before you take your first snap, you and your family will be secure for life.

A little perspective, Eli.

Tillman was motivated by a personal challenge. He believed in a call to duty. He believed he hadn't done enough for his country.

Apparently all you believed was the Chargers hadn't done enough for you.

So now you're going to New York, where Friday night the fans booed Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter. You're going to New York, where a newspaper headlined a story on the struggling Alex Rodriguez, "Alex in Blunderland."

Remember the boos you heard yesterday? They were a mere harbinger of your life to come as a Giant. You're going to play in Boo York, where the fans will jeer your every incompletion. You're going to a city that expects the Giants to be in the Super Bowl every year.

When that doesn't happen you will be the focus of everything that goes wrong. Every talk show will be questioning the three draft picks the Giants gave up for you. You will be in the center of a quarterback controversy that won't disappear.

Kerry Collins? Eli Manning?

You'd better hope you're the next John Elway, who refused to go the Baltimore Colts in the 1982 draft. My guess is you won't be.

The league is littered with first-round QB flops — Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Cade McNown.

You could have made it easy on yourself. After the announcement of Tillman's death you could have called a news conference and said you had rethought your decision.

You could have said that you wanted to stand on the same kind of principles as Tillman. That you would accept your fate, go to San Diego and help turn around a franchise.

"I will tell you this," Holmgren said yesterday. "The Manning family — and I know Archie and I know (Indianapolis quarterback) Peyton — that's as classy a group of people as you'll ever meet."

But this week, the Manning family's timing stunk.

Steve

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
You guys aren't saying that you feel bad for the Cowpokes, are you?

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by toejam

Selfishness shines more brilliantly alongside sacrifice in NFL draft

Excellent article, TJ

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join