posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 06:48 AM
San Diego Chargers second-round draft pick Terrence Kiel, shot during an attempted carjacking on July 4, had surgery Wednesday to remove a bullet from
his abdomen and fragments from his left knee.
The surgery went well, general manager A.J. Smith said. Kiel, who had been the leading contender to start at strong safety, will miss at least the
first two exhibition games.
Kiel was shot in the calf, knee and stomach in the parking lot of a Houston mall. He was released from the hospital two days later. Chargers doctors
later discovered he has a fractured bone in his lower left leg and loose fragments in his knee.
The broken bone won't require surgery. But because it will require Kiel to rest for four to six weeks, the Chargers decided to schedule surgery to
remove the bullet from Kiel's abdomen and the fragments from his knee.
"The doctor said it went great," Smith said.
Kiel will miss the first two exhibition games, then be re-evaluated in mid-August. "He certainly should be fine for the opener," Smith said, referring
to the first regular-season game on Sept. 7 at Kansas City.
Although he'll miss practice for the first 31/2 weeks, Kiel will be on the sidelines and attending meetings.
"He'll be doing everything but being on the field," Smith said. "It's very important to not fall behind mentally."