It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Denver Broncos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   
DENVER -- The Denver Broncos touted Brian Griese as the replacement for future Hall of Famer John Elway.

Instead, he's about to become another victim of the salary cap.

The Broncos are expected to release Griese on Monday, a move that will save the team $6.3 million in salary cap space over the next two years.

Griese could end up in Dallas, where new coach Bill Parcells might want to add a veteran quarterback, but Miami appears to be the best fit.

espn.go.com...

The Dolphins want a backup for Jay Fiedler after releasing Ray Lucas in April, and Griese grew up in Miami, where his father, Bob, was a Hall of Fame quarterback for the Dolphins in the 1970s.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I used to like denver but I really dont know what they are doing now...I hope they pick up someone decent.

Ben

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It seems like ever since Elway left the Broncos, they have put high hopes on their quaterbacks. And they can't do that because nobody is going to be able to replace Elway he is to great of a quaterback, it would be very hard to try to live up to those expectations.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
It seems like ever since Elway left the Broncos, they have put high hopes on their quaterbacks. And they can't do that because nobody is going to be able to replace Elway he is to great of a quaterback, it would be very hard to try to live up to those expectations.

I agree 100 percent...I used to love watching elway play

TRD

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The Broncos are happy to have Jake Plummer as their starting quarterback, and they seem to be equally as glad Steve Beuerlein will stay for at least one more season as the backup. Beuerlein had a faint hope he could be the starter in 2003, then thought he might have to retire when Plummer signed with Denver. But the next day, coach Mike Shanahan visited Beuerlein at his Charlotte home and told him how much the team needed him. "That went a long way for me in making my decision. It meant the world," Beuerlein said.

TRD

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Brian Griese followed in his father's footsteps and joined the Miami Dolphins, signing a two-year contract with the team after passing a physical.

Griese will be listed second on the team's depth chart, behind starter Jay Fiedler and a. of Sage Rosenfels, the team's No. 3 quarterback a year ago.

The team announced Griese's signing at an afternoon news conference. He had agreed to the contract June 6. His father, Hall of Famer Bob Griese, led the Dolphins to two Super Bowl wins, including their perfect season in 1972.

"It feels very nice to come back home. ... I've learned a lot, I've grown a lot and I'm looking forward to a new chapter in my career," Griese said. "I couldn't think of a better place to do it than here in Miami."

TRD

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 04:15 AM
link   
The Denver Broncos selected Kansas State linebacker Terry Pierce with the 51st pick.

A strong tackler, Pierce is probably a two-down player in the NFL because he lacks the speed and cover skills to stay on the field in passing situations.

He had 104 tackles and five sacks last season.

Pierce is the second Kansas State player taken after the Dallas Cowboys took cornerback Terence Newman fifth overall.

TRD

posted on Oct, 18 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Denver Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer will be out for at least three weeks due to a foot injury.

Plummer missed last week's 17-14 victory over Pittsburgh with a shoulder injury.

He fell on his right shoulder during a 37-13 rout at San Diego on September 14, and aggravated the shoulder injury and injured his foot against Kansas City on October 5.

Steve Beuerlein will start for the second week in a row when the Broncos visit the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

Beuerlein went 1-2 as a starter last year, with a win over the Arizona Cardinals and two overtime losses to the Indianapolis Colts and Chargers.

Plummer, in his first year with the Broncos after he was Arizona's starter the last six seasons, took a painkilling shot before Sunday's contest that would have allowed him to play in case of an injury to Beuerlein.

TRD

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Veteran quarterback Steve Beuerlein's 17th season in the NFL is officially over.

The Denver Broncos have placed Beuerlein on injured reserve for the rest of the season after he broke a finger in the defeat to the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

Beuerlein, the Broncos' backup quarterback who was starting in place of the injured Jake Plummer, has been replaced on the 53-man roster by offensive lineman P.J. Alexander.

Meanwhile, the Broncos re-signed quarterback Jarious Jackson, who will back up current starter Danny Kanell until Plummer recovers from a broken metatarsal bone, which is expected to take at least three more weeks.

The 26-year-old Jackson was waived by the Broncos on August 31 in the final cut of the pre-season.

He had spent his first three NFL seasons with Denver, appearing in two games in 2000 and one each of the next two campaigns.

TRD

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Danny Kanell will make his first start in nearly three years when the Denver Broncos visit the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday.

Already without starter Jake Plummer due to a broken foot, the Broncos also will be without backup Steve Beuerlein for the rest of the season due to a broken right finger.

Now, the starting job falls on Kanell, who nearly rallied the Broncos against the Vikings after completing 12-of-18 passes for 104 yards and a touchdown.

Kanell signed for the Broncos in June after being out of football for two years but was released on September 1 when coach Mike Shanahan decided to keep just two quarterbacks.

Kanell made his last NFL start on November 12, 2000 while with the Atlanta Falcons. He has also spent time with the New York Giants in his career and went 7-2-1 as a starter in 1997, when they won the NFC East title.

In his five-year career, Kanell has completed 52% of his passes (450-of-871) for 4,791 yards, 29 touchdowns and 30 interceptions.

With Kanell likely to be rusty, Shanahan may opt to rely on running back Clinton Portis, who already has four 100-yard games this season.

new topics

top topics

join