It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sri Lanka

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   
"The leader of ethnic Tamil rebels said Thursday that the region controlled by his movement will declare itself independent if Sri Lanka's government does not grant autonomy to Tamil-majority areas."

ABCNEWS

"The power struggle between the two leaders has resulted in the destabilization of the state and the peace process has come to a standstill."
Vellupillai Prabhakaran

This could also apply internationally.

[Edited on 27-11-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
That is a lot of Tamil people! When you say that this could apply internationally, do you mean other countries getting involved with the tension? It's kind of bad when rebels get dubbed as terrorists, when they are just trying to liberate their own people from that discrimation they claim goes on. That is my opinion, becuase I don't know much about this Sri Lanka country.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
"The leader of ethnic Tamil rebels said Thursday that the region controlled by his movement will declare itself independent if Sri Lanka's government does not grant autonomy to Tamil-majority areas."

ABCNEWS

"The power struggle between the two leaders has resulted in the destabilization of the state and the peace process has come to a standstill."
Vellupillai Prabhakaran

This could also apply internationally.

[Edited on 27-11-2003 by ADVISOR]

What a frokkin mess. I've been following this since the Gulf war.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
What a frokkin mess. I've been following this since the Gulf war.

You said it.

If only international powers would intervene more efficiently. It is like Israel, both sides hate each other.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 02:20 PM
link   
First, I don't believe the Tamil Tigers are terrorists, although they're getting slammed with that. And second, I think the government should treat them more equitably. For example, why shouldn't the Tamils be able to speak their own language/dialect within their own indiginous areas? It's bOle#.

[Edited on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Sri Lanka is messed up. It is supposed to be a beautiful place, it no longer is from all the bombs and dead bodies.

We must support the Tamil's, but many don't. They fight for something they deserve - Freedom.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
Sri Lanka is messed up. It is supposed to be a beautiful place, it no longer is from all the bombs and dead bodies.

We must support the Tamil's, but many don't. They fight for something they deserve - Freedom.

Man, I bet in its natural state, it's gorgeous. I would love to go see it.

Unfortunately, I think the current U.S. administration supports the Sri Lankan government and is inclined to view the Tamil Tigers as Terrorists. And in turn, most people don't understand the situation on the grround. It's very sad.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Man, I bet in its natural state, it's gorgeous. I would love to go see it.
Unfortunately, I think the current U.S. administration supports the Sri Lankan government and is inclined to view the Tamil Tigers as Terrorists. And in turn, most people don't understand the situation on the grround. It's very sad.

Ignorance is everywhere.

U.S. officials don't even know what is happening there, yet they support the government blindly.

Do you know why the Tigers originally took up arms?

To fight against Sri Lankans oppression. Plain and Simple.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yes, I strongly got that impression. I even wrote about it while I was in Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield. Imagine that, waiting for war with Iraq, dreaming of Sri Lanka. I remember reading about the freedom fighters who went there to fight for the Tigers independence. There were actually women soldiers among them. I never imagined the fight would still be raging...

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 03:01 PM
link   

There were actually women soldiers among them. I never imagined the fight would still be raging...

Women? There are children fighting there.

If no one intervenes, the fight will go on till one side wins or losses.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The U.S. will probably give more and more support to the Sri Lankan government and they will win. The Tamil Tigers will be known the world over as being related in some way to Al Qaida. I've already heard the beginning of it.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   

The U.S. will probably give more and more support to the Sri Lankan government and they will win. The Tamil Tigers will be known the world over as being related in some way to Al Qaida. I've already heard the beginning of it.

Doubt that U.S. will give more support to Sri Lankan government.
U.S. has its hands full with its own issues.

Sri Lankan gov't won't win nor lose.

Has U.S. sent arms shipment to Sri Lanka, I know India has sent an army unit and her prime minister was assasinated for that.

I lived somewhat close to the assasination spot.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm sure we have some kind of element working there. And it is folded into our regional plan in the war against terror. Anywhere U.S. forces can stage out of is in our benefit. There's a covert war going on in the Philippines right now, which is racheting up our involvement there. Rogue elements in their military are faking terror attacks to gain more military support and money from Uncle Sam. It's the same shyte.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   

There's a covert war going on in the Philippines right now, which is racheting up our involvement there.

What cover war in Philippines? Do you have any more info on that matter?

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

There's a covert war going on in the Philippines right now, which is racheting up our involvement there.

What cover war in Philippines? Do you have any more info on that matter?

Thanks.

Here's something to begin with:

Q: Why did the White House rescue and hide Michael Meiring, the CIA-linked American "terrorist" bomber now wanted in Mindanao?

A: The Pentagon wants new bases in Asia, and it is killing civilians to get them.

US FAKING TERROR IN PHILIPPINES
Meiring case unmasks covert campaign to justify intervention
By Craig Hanley, October 10, 2002.

Filipino media can't keep up with American spook sightings. Despite official denials, one story from Mindanao will not go away:

American blast victim in Davao tagged as terrorist.
Jun Bersamin, Radio dzMM, September 27, 2002.

www.abs-cbnnews.com...

DAVAO CITY - The City Prosecution Office on Friday tagged the American victim of an explosion in his hotel room four months ago as a terrorist.

City Prosecutor Raul Bendico said findings from the investigation of the case indicated that Meiring apparently attempted to set up explosives intended to blow up Evergreen Hotel when the accidental explosion went off, mangling his lower limbs.

Michael Meiring, 65, of California, was rushed to Davao Medical Mission Hospital on May 16 after the blast inside his room at the hotel located on Ramon Magsaysay Avenue here.

Meiring was charged with illegal possession of explosives and reckless imprudence "for failing to practice proper attention and diligence regarding the handling of explosive materials."

But he was reportedly whisked away by agents of the US Federal Bureau of Investigation and brought to the United States.
the rest:
www.defendsison.be...

It's the oldest trick in the book, dating back to Roman times; creating the enemies you need.
article:
www.whatreallyhappened.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Wow, I thought the Tamil Tigers lost their battle a long time ago.
The Tigers aren't (at least they weren't) terrorists, but are good warriors fighting for freedom. I'm glad they are still in the game.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The Sri Lankan government wants in on this war on terrorism game. They're making the Tigers out to be terrorists in order to gain our military/financial support.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   

The Sri Lankan government wants in on this war on terrorism game. They're making the Tigers out to be terrorists in order to gain our military/financial support.

Your above quote tells me that you don't know what is happening in Sri Lanka for sure.
Recently, there was a assasination plot against Sri Lankan President by Tamil Tigers.

The fight has been going on for more than twenty years, unlike the terrorist game.

top topics

join