It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Jets

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 04:52 PM
link   
espn.go.com...

The Jets already lost Coles, Hall, and Thomas and know they losed Chad Morton, all of these players going to the Redskins

What other players are the Jets going to lose, i know this for sure they arnt going to be the same team.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Wow, I cant believe all these players went to the Redskins. I'm really surprised that the Jets didnt match the offer for Laverneus Coles, he is one of the best young up and coming receivers in the game, he has incredible speed. The Jets certainly wont be as good this year unless they go out and get theirselves a few free agents of their own. I'm sure Pennington was sad to see Coles go, is Chrebet his top receiver now?

Ben

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Iam sure that Pennington was very upset with that, they are going to have a huge draft this year to be able to contend. They didnt sign that many players in the off-season so far. Either Chrebet or Moss will be his top receiver. I guess we will have to see what Broadway Chad can do.

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   
i dont like the jets but i like the way they play and i think that they might do some damige

Ben

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
they might do some damage but they lost a ton of guys in the off-season so far. They have to have a huge draft. They have to get somebody to replace Coles, and i dont know how they are going to do that. They need a new kicker, replace Thomas on the line, get another running back, and the list goes on.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Wow, thats a big risk, I wonder who they're eyeing up at #4 ??

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

I wonder who they're eyeing up at #4 ??

This is from the link I put up in my last post on this thread:

An official with the Jets told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio the club will use the fourth pick to select either defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson from Kentucky; wide receiver Andre Johnson from Miami; wide receiver Charles Rogers from Michigan State; or cornerback Terence Newman from Kansas State.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I would like some encouraging words about the new season. I'm not feeling postive and I really don't like Herman Edwards.....Never did.

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 01:02 AM
link   
It's hard to say how the Jets will do this season. They certainly lost more players than they signed, I was really surprised to see them let Laverneus Coles go. Could be a long season for Herman and Chad.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 12:57 AM
link   
NEW YORK -- Defensive tackle Josh Evans worked out with the New York Jets on Friday but refused to talk about a report that he tested positive for marijuana and could face an indefinite suspension from the NFL.

Evans was among 80 players on the practice field at the Jets training camp at Hofstra University, participating in offseason team activity.

The New York Times said three persons familiar with his situation confirmed the positive test and said Evans has appealed the finding with the league. He won a similar appeal last year.

Evans was suspended twice by the league for violating its substance-abuse policy during six seasons he spent with the Tennessee Titans. He missed the first four games in 1999 and was suspended for all of the 2000 season.

Because of those suspensions, Evans is subject to random testing 10 times each month. Last summer, he faced an indefinite suspension for a positive test, even as he was negotiating a free agent contract with the Jets.

espn.go.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 01:06 AM
link   
espn.go.com...

The biggest offseason acquisition the Jets made was drafting mammoth defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson from Kentucky. Robertson has been compared to Bucs All-Pro Warren Sapp, and the Jets traded up to snatch him, swapping their No. 13 and No. 22 picks in the first round with the Bears for the No. 4 selection.

The Jets will get an opportunity to go right at the Redskins, the team that poached so many of their players away, on the opening night of the NFL season, Thursday Sept. 4. They go on to play a tough schedule, in perhaps the most competitive division in football. It won't be easy to return to the playoffs, let alone repeat as division champs.

The Jets still have plenty of talent -- but their offseason losses add up to more than one might think at first glance. Their fate will likely fall on Pennington and his right arm -- Will he suffer a sophomore swoon, or enjoy another breakout season? Time will tell.

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
espn.go.com...

The Jets already lost Coles, Hall, and Thomas and know they losed Chad Morton, all of these players going to the Redskins

What other players are the Jets going to lose, i know this for sure they arnt going to be the same team.

Well whats wrong with the Redskins thats my favoutite team so its good news for us.....:bounce:

TRD

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 04:44 AM
link   
New York Jets defensive tackle Josh Evans was suspended indefinitely by the NFL on Friday for violating the league's substance-abuse policy for the third time.

The suspension comes nearly a year after Evans won his appeal to have his third substance-abuse suspension overturned.

Because of the previous bans, Evans is subject to random testing 10 times a month.

While negotiating a free agent deal with the Jets last summer, he tested positively and faced an indefinite suspension.

NFL executive vice-president Jeff Pash upheld the appeal last year and Evans signed two weeks later. He had a solid season with New York, recording a career-best six sacks and 58 tackles.

posted on Jun, 29 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I think the Jets in for a long season.

Herm's hair will be gray after this year.

TRD

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The New York Jets, looking for an infusion of youth and speed at linebacker, selected Victor Hobson of Michigan with the 53rd pick in Saturday's NFL draft.

Mo Lewis, the starter on the strongside, turns 34 in October, and James Darling, the back-up at all three linebacker spots last year, signed with Arizona.

The 252-pound Hobson was the best player on Michigan's defence last season. He was an All-Big Ten conference selection last season with 99 tackles, six sacks, four passes broken up and two interceptions.

TRD

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   
With Josh Evans suspended indefinitely, the New York Jets signed free agent defensive tackle Chester McGlockton on Tuesday.

McGlockton, 33, played exclusively for teams from the AFC West - the Oakland-Los Angeles Raiders (1992-97), Kansas City Chiefs (1998-2000) and Denver Broncos (2001-02) - in an 11-year career.

The 6ft 3in, 334-pound McGlockton started 15 of 16 games with the Broncos last season and had 63 tackles, two 1/2 sacks, three pass deflections and a fumble recovery, but was waived for salary cap purposes.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The New York Jets hope Chester McGlockton can help beef up their defensive line.

The former Pro Bowl tackle signed with the Jets on Tuesday, giving them added leadership and depth on a depleted front that is missing two key players with the start of training camp less than a week away.

Starter Josh Evans was suspended indefinitely by the NFL last month for violating its substance-abuse policy for a third time. His projected replacement, first-round pick Dewayne Robertson, is unsigned and could start his rookie season as a holdout.

The Jets started looking for help and found McGlockton, a 12-year veteran who was released by the Denver Broncos in February for financial reasons. Though McGlockton is above his playing weight of 334 and nowhere near ready for training camp, the Jets needed a big body to bolster their defence.

"He's at a point in his career where he understands his role," general manager Terry Bradway said. "The contributions he can make with his experience and leadership will help us up front. In light of what happened with Josh, we feel like we've been able to improve our depth at the defensive line position."

The Jets do not know when to expect the return of Evans, whose reinstatement will be determined by commissioner Paul Tagliabue in consultation with medical experts.

And contract negotiations with Robertson have crawled. The Jets open training camp Monday, a week earlier than many teams, because they travel to Japan to open their pre-season opener Aug. 2 against the Bucs.

Bradway said the lines of communication between the Jets and Robertson's agent, Hadley Engelhard, are open. But he does not know when the rookie will sign. Engelhard has not returned phone and e-mail messages.

"My hope is that at some point in time, sooner than later, Dewayne will get done," Bradway said. "I can't tell you whether that will happen by Sunday. ... I wouldn't say we are close. A lot of these things happen in the 11th hour. There's a chance that he won't be there."

McGlockton will be there Monday, but he is not ready to practice with the team. He is out of shape and has not been part of a conditioning program for the last three months.

Bradway nor coach Herman Edwards would say how much McGlockton weighs, saying only that he is a "big man." Edwards said the Jets will not rush McGlockton, and he does not know who will replace Evans as the starter on opening day, Sept. 4 against Washington.

"It's going to work on a rotation basis," Edwards said. "When we line up, we play the best guys so we'll see what happens."

new topics

top topics

join