It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Who will wear the "C" on his jersey for the Red Wings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
With the retirement of Stevie Yzerman, the end of one era has been marked and, at the same time, a new era will begin. But before that happens, one thing has been on my mind. Who will be the new captain for the Detroit Red Wings?

I know that after twenty-two years of Yzerman being the Captain, it is difficult to even conceive of another wearing that "C" but, nevertheless, a new captain will be selected. Who will that someone be?

My own bet will be Chris Cheliios. I know that a Datsyuk or Zetterberg might be a fan choice but, at least as an interim captain, Chelios would be perfect. After all, he was the Blackhawk Captain before he came to the Wings. And it is difficult to imagine anyone on the current roster who has as much drive and "team spirit" for Detroit as Chris Chelios. If nothing else, it would be a great way to reward this indominable spirit for the energy, drive and commitment that he has shown for Detroit and "my" beloved Wings.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Its a no brainer IMO.

Lidstrom

He has served longer than Chelios, and will stay longer than him as well. Norris trophy winner, leads by example and just a rock on the point.

Not to discredit Chelios whatsoever because he is a very close number two pick in my thoughts, but Its gotta go to Lidstrom at this point in time.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
chissler, I probably would have gone with Lidstrom too but I am thinking in turns of leadership on the bench and in the locker room. Whereas Lidstrom is an amazing defensemen -- the best -- I just don't see him as carrying the younger players in the same way that Chelios does. You just gotta know that the younger players all look to Chelios, as the "old man".

I don't see a zetterberg or Datsyuk getting the C......at least not now.....
Filling Stevie's shoes is next to impossible. The legend is too immense. But in an interim position, they will give the C to someone for a few years. But I will agree with you in part. I certainly can't discount Lidstrom. Still, I do see them giving the C to Chelly.......

oh well, i guess we'll both find out when it happens. But man, what a decision. Those are tough skates to fill!

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Lidstrom seems a no-brainer BUT, there are others.

Cheerios, maybe, his best days are behind him AND has he ever worn the C?

Others that could:

Kris Draper
Kirk Maltby

That being said, there's 3 spots left on the roster, you never who could fill those spots, IE: Someone like Messier.

NO ONE could fill Yzerman's shoes though. A given.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Yes Chelios wore the "C" when he was with the Chicago Blackhawks. Chelios is a great motivator. He can be tough on others but no tougher than he is on himself. Have you ever heard about his personal excersize regime.....he can run much younger guys into the dust.

new topics

top topics

join