It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Stanley Cup Predictions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Here we are, the Winter Olympics are over and the second half of the NHL season is about to get underway. What teams do you believe will be facing off in the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

My own prediction is Detroit Red Wings vs Carolina Hurricanes.

Being a staunch Red Wing Fan, I think the Wings will win in game six.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I'm not the biggest hockey fan on this site, but what in the heck happened to the Flyers? Thy were tearing things up early in the season, now they are seeded 5th in the East...

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
With the Cole injury.. the Canes have suffered a major set back. I personally see them as the best team in the East right now, but come Playoffs I think Sens will romp. With Chara matching up against the top forward every night, they will have no room to move.

In the west I would love to see the Flames come out, I see it between them and the Red wings. But my prediction is this...

Flames vs. Sens.. cup is coming north of the border!

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I won't go so far as to predict the finals, but here is how I see the Final Four shaping up.

In the west:
Det vs Cgy with Cgy being favored by me in 6 games.

In the east:
Ott vs NYR with Ott favored in 5 by me.

As for the Phi comment, they are lucky to be seeded as good as they are right now. I saw them missing the playoffs this year.

[Edited on 3/9/06 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
I'm not the biggest hockey fan on this site, but what in the heck happened to the Flyers? Thy were tearing things up early in the season, now they are seeded 5th in the East...

just plane simple they didn't stay healthy, they have over 300 man-games missed due to injury, plus Forsberg has been hurt several times

Ben

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I like the rangers taking it in the east. They are playing some very good hockey, especially iwht lunquisk in goalie, who if i might add has won 30 games, in his rookie season. Then one the offensive front you have jagr who is leading the league in points and goals. They are going to be a hard team to face in the east.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
One thing is certain, Calgary will not be in the final. I can't take people picking them just because of 2004. C'mon, this year they are just an average team that really lacks defence; and their defense will kill them this playoff run. Kipper cannot continue to make 35-40 saves every night, not in a playoff run.

I say the final 4 will be as follows.

Detroit vs Anaheim (the Ducks have been on fire, they have solid D and can score a lot too)

Ottawa vs Montreal (if the Canadiens can get the Rangers or Flyers first round, I expect them to suprise many and go all the way to the conference finals on the back of Huet. They have great offence with Kovalev and Koive and solid D with Souray and Markov, if Kovalev and Koive hadn't missed about 12 games at the same time they could be battling for 4 or 5th in the conference rather than just trying to make it, watch out for the red hot Habs)
no matter what happens, it should be fun. And the greatest thing is that the Leafs won't be there!
enjoy all

Ben

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
rnagers have been playing very well this season, they are on a tear lately and weeks, their backup golie, has been very impressive in the last couple of days. Its a good sign just in case lunquist gets hurts later on in the playoffs.

Granted the rangers haven't played well agaisnt the sens this season, but i would look back to the 93-94 stanley cup win by the rangers, Jagr tied the record this season, previously held by graves of 52 goals and graves held that records in 93-94. Tonight teh rangers have the most points since that season. Can it be possible?

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunc7
One thing is certain, Calgary will not be in the final. I can't take people picking them just because of 2004. C'mon, this year they are just an average team that really lacks defence; and their defense will kill them this playoff run. Kipper cannot continue to make 35-40 saves every night, not in a playoff run.

enjoy all

Umm....

Western Conferance Top 3 are....
Det - 116 pts
Dal - 105 pts
Cgy - 97 pts

Cgy's GF is what needs to be looked into, their GA is comparable to the top two.

Det - GF: 287 GA: 196
Dal - GF: 248 GA: 199
Cgy - GF: 207 GA: 191

Cgy has not locked up it's spot in the top three as of yet so that could effect their placement in the playoffs and possibly their performance.

[Edited on 4/8/06 by sardion2000]

Ben

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
will detriot be a better team with hasek coming back, or should they continue with the goalie they have, he has gotten them thus far and hasek is getting a little old.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
I like the rangers taking it in the east. They are playing some very good hockey, especially iwht lunquisk in goalie, who if i might add has won 30 games, in his rookie season. Then one the offensive front you have jagr who is leading the league in points and goals. They are going to be a hard team to face in the east.

I doubt they have locked it down yet. Remember Jagr has a tendancy of choking in the playoffs, as well as Ottawa's depth filled team. Both teams are seeded pretty comfortably and historically speaking the first seeds usually do not win the cup.(Especially the First overall seed) so odds are already against my prediction.

Originally posted by Ben
will detriot be a better team with hasek coming back, or should they continue with the goalie they have, he has gotten them thus far and hasek is getting a little old.

Detriot has really surprised me this season. Their goalie has really started to come into his own. I'd say let the young guy show what he's got in at least the first round. If things start tanking, throw Hasik out there pronto to let the young guy cool off on the bench for the rest of the series or when Hasik starts sucking
I don't really know, that team is so alien to me now with a lot of the usually suspects now gone. I've only been going by stats and stuff so I'll be back after I check more into their team(purely for entertainment purposes of course
)

Food for thought...

here are the year stats of Det vs. Cgy for Det.

sports.espn.go.com...

I see a lot of minusus...

[Edited on 4/8/06 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The Sens better hope they don't have to play Philly. The Flyers dominated them this season, going 3-1-0.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Ok, my take on things. Detroit is strong, logic would dictate they should take it. This is sport though. Anaheim is ending strong, Gigere is know for his streaks of excellent goaltending, watch out for them. Why hasn't anyone mentioned Dallas? Also strong.

In the East, Carolina looks the best to me. Solid club top to bottom. Ottawa is not the Senetors of the first half of the season when they were the best team in the league. Montreal is finishing strong, Huet is playing well in goal. Buffalo is wanning, I still see Lindy Ruff as coach of the year though.

Side notes.

With the few games remaining IF Toronto makes the playoffs the East will be playing the hottest team in the NHL. Since taking over in net Aubin has gotten at least a point in EVERY game. I think his record is 6-0-2(No shoot outs in the playoffs
). Also Sundin has come to life, 6 points just last night.

This is a good one, something everyone NOT a Leafs fan would love to see. If the Canuck make the playoffs, along with the Oilers, Toronto would be the only Canadian club to miss the playoffs.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I'm not sold on Detroit. They're in a weak division. They played Columbus, Chicago, and St. Louis 8 times each this year. The 3 worst teams in the league. Legace is their goalie, not Hasek. Hasek is injured but he plays for Ottawa. Legace is also a playoff question mark. If Ottawa doesn't get Hasek back they aren't winning either. If Dallas stays healthy they could make some noise. Modano had a bit of a knee scare the other day but he seems to be okay. Nashville goalie Tomas Vokoun went down with some kind of rare blood clot disease and won't play for the rest of the year. Which is a shame, I liked Nashvilles chances. Teams that could surprise a few people are Buffalo and Anaheim. Both are really good, young, skating teams with strong goal tending. Miller or Biron are both good for Buffalo, likewise with Giguere and Bryzgalov in Anaheim. Both teams can score too. They're very well coached. I think the Rangers lack of depth will be exposed come playoff time. One line and a goalie does not win the cup. New Jersey and Martin Brodeur. I think anyone that knows hockey knows not to underestimate the Devils. Edmonton, as much as I like them, won't win.

I guess we need a prediction here.

Eastern Conference Final

Buffalo vs. New Jersey

Western Conference Final

Calgary vs. San Jose

I've somewhat explained myself with the East predictions. As for the West. Since Joe Thornton was traded to San Jose and they started playing Vesa Toskala in net they've been fantastic. There's just a really good vibe around the team. Don't take them lightly. As for Calgary they are so much better a team since they went on the Cup run. Their defence is better than anyone else's. As is evident in their goals against. Robyn Regehr (team Canada) Jordan Leopold (team USA) Roman Hamrlik (team Czech Republic) Rhett Warrener and Bryan Marchment (both tough as nails) Oh and I nearly forgot future Norris trophy winner Dion Phaneuf. Who should have made team Canada this year. Don't take them lightly.

The winner of the west will win the Cup.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Toronto spanks Ottawa 5-1 tonight, a team that embarrassed them all year(7-0). TB wins elliminating the Leafs, the East breathes easier. The Leafs record with Aubin 8-0-2.

new topics

top topics

join