It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Is reality finally setting in for the Leafs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Admittedly, I am not a Leafs fan. However, I was surprised at how well they started. But is reality finally setting in? The way Toronto played in their last three games was almost exactly what myself and many other hockey fans had predicted the way they would play all year. Granted, it has only been three lousy games and certainly it is rare to get destroyed 8-0. Nevertheless, Sundin or not, these guys look absolutley terrible. For the sake of keeping the Ottawa-Toronto and Montreal-Toronto interesting, I would hope the Leafs improve; but not too much. Or is this sloppy and half-assed hockey what we can expect from the Leafs for the rest of the year?
I know a lot of us hope they remain this way. But their are levels of being pathetic. Even as a non-Leafs fan, I would hope they would step it up to a respectable level of being pathetic, and soon.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I didn't see the game last night as I was working but I heard most of it in the car and it's not difficult to lose a game 8-0 with the vast amount of penalties that they took. The commentators said that TO deserved them but the same infractions were not being called against Ottawa. If that's the case, what are you going to do.

As to the Bruins game, didn't see that one either, only on Leafs TV, it seemed that the Leafs played well but the Boston goalie played amazingly. Don't sweat the Leafs, they'll be fine.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
it's not difficult to lose a game 8-0 with the vast amount of penalties that they took. The commentators said that TO deserved them but the same infractions were not being called against Ottawa. If that's the case, what are you going to do.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what the Toronto coaching staff or commentators have to say about penalties not being called against their opponents. The media and coaches (especially Quinn) are notorious around the rest of the hockey world as being the biggest complainers in hockey. I know that most Leaf fans are not like that and I think even the Leaf fans themselves must admit that the label " Maple Whiners" has indeed been appropriate the last few years. Is it again appropriate in the "new" NHL? So far, I would say yes. But its still early, perhaps the impression of being whiners will go away as the season continues.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Leafs are fine, we just have a few gaps that needs to be filled. Big Antropov is out due to a sore shoulder(est 2-3 games now) and Sundin is possibly coming back on Saturday. Belak is no longer playing defence and shocker our defence improved drastically with him playing as a foward. I actually LIKE him as a Power Foward, he isn't a bad skater and can hit hard.

Bad 3 Games? we went Winless in the first 3 games(2 pts) and then won 3 in a row and then dropped 2 and won another. We're just having our typical slow start which is a good thing as good things happen to the leafs when we build up momentum slowly and under the radar of other teams

[Edited on 11/2/05 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunc7
the label " Maple Whiners"

Whatever. Philly is the biggest bunch of whiners in the history of sports. Bob Clarck and Jeremy "Don't Hit in Pre-season" Roenik.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Monday, Leafs beat 6-4(at the time) Carolina Cats.

They have a rough month ahead though, better get used to it in the division that they're in. Every month will be a hard one.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Reality?

The reality IS the Leafs, regardless of an 8-0 loss, have still earned more points off the Senators then the Habs. So you book your own Tee times, and we'll worry about ours. It's a long season. Sundin takes a back seat to nobody, you want interesting? He may be playing on Saturday.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlsberg
Reality?

The reality IS the Leafs, regardless of an 8-0 loss, have still earned more points off the Senators then the Habs.

what a ridiculous comment. The entire season is not against Ottawa. This is why Leaf fans come off as so unreasonable to the rest of the hockey world. How can you say "regardless of an 8-0 loss"?Trouncings like that have to be addressed. No team should ever disregard an 8-0 loss. And most fans can at least admit that there team flat-out sucked. Why are many Leafs fans so sensitive?

To further prove my point. San Diego State Univeristy in partnership with University of Calgary are attempting to do an anthropoligical study on what effects decades of unsuccessful hockey seasons have done to the culture of hockey in the Toronto area. The results should be interesting if they are given permission to complete this research. What they are trying to get at is, and of course its nothing personal at all, that with Toronto being such an intelligent hockey city, the decades of being a cup-less city has resulted in a highly senesitive and unreasonable fan base along with a very low standard for success (such as Leaf fans saying at least we made it to the playoffs or automatically pointing out the lack of success of other teams when asked about the Leafs winning the cup). This is not to say other cities are not like this, but with Toronto being such a hot-bed for hockey, I think this sensitivity point and low standards point really has some validity.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Oh believe me, an 8-0 loss will be addressed. Maybe we should run our goalie out of town, a la Patrick Roy. I feel it's a much needed wake up call. Just look at Atlanta who the Leafs pounded just a few short weeks ago. Regardless of their lack of a healthy goalie, Atlanta's starting to come around. Sometimes a team needs to be put in it's place. Sure the Leafs sucked that night, nobody said they didn't. But the whole season coming to an end? Please! We don't turn our backs after one game. Ask anyone who's played Toronto in the playoffs in recent history. I believe I already talked to you once about underestimating the Leafs, and we both know what happened then don't we.

Hey, when Mats is back and if everyone stays healthy they'll do ok. A bunch of key injuries and they're done. Same as the rest of the league. So the answer to your queiry is no, the Leafs aren't done yet.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Please note, never did I say that the Leafs are done. Just wondering if the recent slip may foreshawdow the rest of the season.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
where are Johnny Bower and Eddie Shack when the leafs need them?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I guess only time will tell, my friend. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Aren't you just excited that hockey's back! Man, i'm having a great time watching. I really missed this stuff!

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Agreed, so great to have it back. Everything about it is great, including our heated debates in this forum. Even thought there are very few things that can unite us Karlsberg, the love for hockey certainly does.
Cheers

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I sure hope the Leafs are good enough to make the playoffs this year...there is almost nothing more enjoyable than watching them get slapped in the playoffs...

GO FLAMES GO

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Mats Sundin is one of the more overrated players in hockey...when the playoffs coem and the real hockey begins he does not have the grit to make it through 4 rounds of hockey...at least Tie Domi is there to score the goals...hahah...ya right...just send McGratton out to take care of that loser...

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Flames/Habs final

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Timmer
Mats Sundin is one of the more overrated players in hockey...when the playoffs coem and the real hockey begins he does not have the grit to make it through 4 rounds of hockey

I totally agree with you. The Toronto media has always overrated players. Names like Wendel Clark and Daryl Sittler come to mind. Yes, better than average players, but not superstars compared to other great players. Sundin is a very good player, but he is a leader that is a proven loser; at least with the Leafs he is. I think the biggest mistake Toronto made in this "new" nhl was re-signing him. He simply does not get it done, even when the Leafs, i hate to admit this, had such a strong team the past 5 years.
Sundin: very good player that needs a change of scenery; it would be good for both the Leafs and his career. And I know a lot of hockey fans outside Toronto can see this so clearly.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Sundin: very good player that needs a change of scenery; it would be good for both the Leafs and his career.

So are you saying you wouldn't mind seeing Sundin in a Habs uniform?

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Good question. I don't think Sundin would be a good addition to Montreal right now. Everything is working and we cannot afford him. But if a big injury were to happen to a MTL player, yes , I would definitley consider sigining him. Afterall and like I said, he is stilla very good player.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Good question. I don't think Sundin would be a good addition to Montreal right now. Everything is working and we cannot afford him. But if a big injury were to happen to a MTL player, yes , I would definitley consider sigining him. Afterall and like I said, he is stilla very good player.

Let's leave the money out of it.

"He is still a very good player", AND over-rated?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join