It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Hockey's Back! Thoughts after opening night?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
hey everyone! i was so happy to see hockey back, although i'm not sure how much i like oln's coverage, hopefully they get better. anyone who has directv has free nhl center ice for a week, so make sure to take advantage of it. anyone have thoughts after the first night? it looks like scoring is going to be up a lot. i don't know if it's the goalie's pads or what but it seemed like the puck was just flying in...i guess players have been itchin to score for a while, lemme know what ya'all saw

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I've never really been that interested in Hockey, so I didn't see anything beyond SportsCenter highlights. Perhaps the new rule changes and higher scoring will draw more interest, and maybe even my own.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The First Leafs game was very entertaining even though we lost in a shootout....

Got a glimse of some other games and it looks like that if you got a goalie with a bad glove hand you better have a good defense or else the other team will just keep scoring.

I seen that in a couple games already and I am hopefull about the crackdown, if they continue to go this way players will just stop obstructing other players. 0 Tolerance has to stay effect at all times even in OT. It will piss allot of people off but it's necessary.

Okay onto my controversial part of this post, Sundin is out for 6 weeks because he didn't wear a Visor or any type of face protection whatsoever. The owners and GM's of the league should really push to protect their investments(eg the players) by mandating full facial protection for ALL players. They will adapt or they will retire se la vi. When could this realistically be done? After another Berard incident? Phaw.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Well, the little I saw of the Flyers first game, they looked like crap. But, at least they won tonight!

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
about that facemask thing. another option could be a clause in the contract that they lose money if they don't wear a facemask. like if they got hurt they wouldn't get paid. then they could do it at their own risk. would that work?

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Well if you could get Insurance companies to not cover players who don't wear Visor's as well then yeah I guess it could work, but as a Fan who saw the Berard injury first hand in person I don't want to see that happen ever again in the NHL. It should be manditory so all that Chauvinistic BS doesn't even become an issue with the players who have them vs the players that don't. If everyone has them then mostly everyone has to adapt(except for those that already have them that is)

Oh yeah anyone else watching this terrific Mtl vs Tor game? 3-2 Mtl now but the Leafs actually look competitive!
They are really surprising me this year. Need more speed though.

EDIT: Dam the Leafs lost 5-4 but what a game

[Edited on 10/8/05 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm actually surprised at how well the Leafs are playing with skating teams. Not bad at all.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
I'm actually surprised at how well the Leafs are playing with skating teams. Not bad at all.

Yeah I hear that. All we have to do now is find suitable replacements for Belak and Berg, they single handedly handed this game to the Habs....

And Lindros was definately the best Leaf on the ice all night, he's just fun to watch.

[Edited on 10/8/05 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Berg and Belak were awful. I can think of a few other Leafs I'd have passed on in order to keep Leetch. Marchment is better than Belak.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
"Yeah I hear that. All we have to do now is find suitable replacements for Belak and Berg, they single handedly handed this game to the Habs...."

What a ridiculous comment. All 4 goals scored by Toronto were terribly weak. Theodore had a brutal game. The final really should have been 5-0 or maybe 5-1. The Habs out played them on every level. It may not be pretty and granted it's still very early, but this Montreal team finds ways to win. Koivu, Ribeiro, Perezhogin were the only habs who skated well and had great games. Imagine how dominant the Habs would have been if a few more players had a decent game.

It's not a hard prediction to make, but the Leafs could easily be 0-4 when they visit the Bell Centre next saturday. And I know it's is hard for Leafs fans to face, but Toronto is just simply not a very good team anymore. They had over a decade to get it done, now the dark days are back for at least a couple of years. Face it and stop making excuses. If only we had different defencemen, if only Belfour wasn't old, if only Sundin wasn't injured , blah blah blah. It seems fans of other teams are at least willing to admit they aren't any good from time to time, why are Leafs fans so unreasonable when they talk about there team? Nothing personal, just a question. Cheers.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Belak and Berg were a combined -6 while on the ice. Berg kept chasing the puck into the corners and Belak just stood there like a stump.

I guess Steens and Stajins goals were "weak" goals too eh? Atropovs goal came from hard work a goalie can only do so much on his back you know, he ain't no Hasek.

The only weak goal(on the Leafs part) was Domi's which even he was laughing about.

You were watching the same game I was right? The top four defencement on the leafs were +5 on the night(combined).

You're a diehard Habs fan aren't you?
Koivu's line was scary though I'll give them that, their defensive zone coverage was just as horrible as the leafs. The Habs outplayed the leaf barely not throughout the game as I remember distinctly long stretches of time on even strength where the Habs were penned into their own zone. Leafs had that happen to them as well.

My opinion on the Habs hasn't changed yet. I still think they will choke when it counts(the playoffs) but I'm none too optimistic about the leafs chances either.

why are Leafs fans so unreasonable when they talk about there team?

??? Check out all my posts on the leafs on this board, you will realize I'm much more realistic then you think. I don't believe anyone is gonna touch Ottawa this year, they are gonna win the Cup.

MTL Could barely stand up to our power lines.

TOR Could barely stand up to MTL's speed and skill lines.

With Sundin the matchup would have been even.

BTW Complaining about "Weak" goals is an even more rediculous excuse. There is no such thing as a Bad goal they all count

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yes, I am a Habs fan. And with that said, I will live up to the sterotypes of Habs fans and be very tough on Theodore. I think its unacceptable for a goalie at the calibre of Theodore to allow those goals. I find it surprising that you think they were good goals and that you would not expect better play from a goalie seeing as though you are used to have great goltending (much respect to Belfour, over the years he has been stellar). Contrary to what you said, I think Montreal had a decent game on defence, you have to rely on your goalie to stop those shots. And to say Montreal hasn't changed when you have guys like Perezhogin stick handling and skating all over Boston, New York and somewhat over the Leafs, I think that is a gross understatement. Montreal has definitley improved, Bob Gainey would not allow them to get worse. The main difference between the two teams from that game was at times you can see a real 'pop' in the skating, passing and stick handling of the Canadiens, yet, in my opinion, I didn't see any spark like that from Toronto. Yes, the odd nifty pass by Lindros, but nothing to get entirely excited about.

Anyways, I enjoy the give and take, its always fun with Leaf fans. Should be a good game next week too. You said , "My opinion on the Habs hasn't changed yet. I still think they will choke when it counts(the playoffs)" I really don't think Leafs fans should be ones to talk about choking in the playoffs, its been going on for 38 years for you guys. Sorry for that "low-blow," but I had to defend myself.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I don't see why you gotta defend your team or be overly hard on Theodore, I have barely defended my team and I just stated what I honestly thought about MTL.

Expectations for Goaltending all across the league is way too high with the new rules allthough I thought the Refs sort of dropped the ball last night as both D cores took some liberties in front of the net(Crosschecking and Holding mostly).

I've never been impressed with Theodore for some reason and I'll stick by my opinion of him as someone who likes to Choke. Trust me as you stated I'm a leaf fan and I know how to spot players that like to Choke

Why should I be hard on Belfore? He had a bad game but he will come up with an excellant game next time, he's like Cujo like that. Also I'm not one to make wild predictions based on a few games. What I've seen by the leafs has exceeded my expectations and as I've stated above I still don't think they are contenders. They will make the playoffs but they'll lose in the second round for sure. MTL will do the same IMHO. MTL is in a similiar position that Tampa and Ottawa was a few years back, just one or two more trades towards contendership IMHO.

The leafs did good against an awesome D core in Ottawa and did allright against what I would consider an average D core in MTL. We just need to make a few moves like firing Berg and Belak and call up some young guys permenantly.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You've just gotta love it. Mont./TO, it doesn't get any better in hockey. My take on the game but I didn't see all of it, in and out. I think the Leafs made the Habs look clumsy, like they did to the Sens. Think Devils.
And they did it with the liabillity of 2 AWEFUL defensemen.

I have no problem with Theodore, he's a good netminder.

As to the Sens, 1 injury to Hasek at the wrong time and it's over.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
As to the Sens, 1 injury to Hasek at the wrong time and it's over.

Defense is still one of the best in the entire league though, Hasik is an amazing goalie still but he does not carry his team like he did in Buffalo. He doesn't really have to lol.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Should be a great game tonight in Montreal. The best two teams in the north east . This will be the first game in a rivalry that will be very intense for the next few years. I could see these teams meeting up in the playoffs a lot now that Toronto will not be a factor. Let's just hope Jose plays a decent game.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunc7
I could see these teams meeting up in the playoffs a lot now that Toronto will not be a factor.

I'm going to hold you to that. Toronto isn't as bad as I or anyone else expected. If it wasn't for the shootout TO's record would be 0-1-2. Not much different than the Sens, picked by many to win the cup, 1-0-2.

Ya gotta love the Mon/TO fans.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
just a little tidbit to think about: the opening night game between ottawa and toronto i think it was? ottawa and someone i think. was viewed by like, 2.1 million viewers in canada. third highest viewership ever. pretty incredible huh?

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Yeah Highest viewship TSN has even recieved for an NHL game and the 3rd highest NHL game ever. Hockey is back with a bang.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
wow, just got back from the Sens Habs game. What an incredible atomosphere! Even though MTL lost is felt like a play off game the entire time. This game MTL proved that they can indeed play with Ottawa. It could have easily been 4-2 Habs. However, I do, unlike Leaf fans, graciously accept defeat. Ottawa was outstanding and deserved the 2 points. But MTL still gave them a great game until the 4 minute penatly late in the 3rd. Even after that they played well. I have been to important NHL games in Pittsburgh, Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary , Edmonton, Boston, New York, Vancouver and Buffalo, but nothing compares to a game in Montreal. The intense atmosphere and the unbelievable knowledge of the game and players really adds to the excitment of the game. Even though I am certainly biased, I must say there are no better hockey fans in the world than the ones in Montreal. So smart, so loud, so enthusiatic, so ready to boooo yet so ready to sing when the occassion arises, so appreciative of the history of the sport and so in love with the game. MTL fans are unlike any other fans in the NHL, they are distinctly exceptional. It was truley and incredible home opener; and imagine if they would have won. Wow, way to go Montreal hockey fans!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join