It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: bertuzzi too violent to play in europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Bertuzzi barred from playing in Europe

December 17, 2004
ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) -- Vancouver Canucks player Todd Bertuzzi was barred from playing in Europe by the International Ice Hockey Federation on Friday because of his violent conduct on the rink.

Bertuzzi was charged with assault after slugging Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore from behind and driving his face into the ice during a game March 8. Moore was hospitalized with three fractured vertebrae, facial cuts, postconcussion symptoms and amnesia.

Bertuzzi was suspended indefinitely by the NHL, missing 13 regular-season games and seven postseason games while losing nearly $502,000 in salary. Several European clubs appeared to show interest in Bertuzzi this season.

``The violent nature of Mr. Bertuzzi's action with the severe injuries inflicted to the opposing player, as a result of his deliberate act, were regarded as an extremely serious violation of the rules, putting the sport into disrepute,'' the IIHF said in a statement.

IIHF rules allow the governing body to ban players from competition on grounds of the sport's wider interests, and denied his application to play until his case was resolved in court. Bertuzzi can appeal the decision to the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport, the governing body said.

Bertuzzi's trial is set for Jan. 17. He faces a maximum sentence of 18 months if convicted.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I could make a nice crack on Europeans here... But I'll keep my mouth shut.:approve:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well hockey is a violent sport.

Everyone agrees that what he did to Steve Moore was just awful, but anyone that has followed his career knows that he doesn't usually take cheap shots. He is very agressive and will hit or fight anyone but usually does so within the rules of the game. Looks like that one cheap shot will continue to haunt him though.

new topics

join