It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Fight night in Philly!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
WHAT A GAME!!!

This was an exciting game to watch as the Flyers beat the Senators 5-3 in Philly. There were over 10 fights in the last two minutes, even the goalies fought each other. I dont have much of a voice left right now as everytime they dropped the puck, about three fights would break out and this happened five consecutive faceoffs! Lots of sticks and gloves spewn everywhere, blood all over the ice, just like OLD TIME HOCKEY!! Reminded me of the Flyers teams of the '70's, better known as the "Broad Street Bullies". Nowadays you'll see the occassional fight but not like tonight, goalies and all. At the final buzzer there were 5 players left on each team, each team starts with 20.

PA's rant
If the NHL wants to keep decreasing fighting, then they should have looked at the 23,000 people in the Wachovia Center screaming and jumping up and down. That is entertainment, thats what the fans like to see and WE pay the BILLS! Scoring is down, fighting is down, they're taking the fun out of it and I enjoyed every minute of this game, 8 goals and well over 300 penalty minutes. I know they have some proposals to try and increase scoring and I wish they would go back to letting the players police themselves. That is if there even is a season next year, but thats whole different story and a future rant.

/rant

After falling behind early in the game, the Flyers scored four unanswered goals en route to a fight-filled 5-3 victory over the Ottawa Senators at the Wachovia Center.

With 1:45 left in the game and the Flyers leading 5-2, a six-on-six brawl erupted that included a fight between the goaltenders. It began after Donald Brashear and Rob Ray fought, with Ray getting pounded and leaving the ice with a bloodied face.

Soon after the conclusion of that fight, every player dropped his gloves, and Lalime skated the length of the ice to grab a hold of Robert Esche, who was in the middle of it.

Fight upon fight occurred for the remainder of the game, and at the conclusion, just six players were left on either side.

The bad blood between the teams stems from Senators forward Martin Havlat hitting Recchi in the face with his stick in a game last week. Havlat played his first game after being suspended two games by the NHL for the incident.

After the game, Philadelphia general manager Bob Clarke, captain of the Broad Street Bullies teams of the 1970s, went toward Ottawa's dressing room, but was stopped by Flyers officials. The officials still hadn't sorted out the penalties nearly an hour after the game finished.

sports.espn.go.com...

CLICK HERE to see the 3rd period penalties. That's hockey baby!

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
sounds like a good one, you are right, this is the type of game that will fill the seats every time the teams play, nothing like hatred to build a good rivalry....

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Sounds like it was a good game. Nothing better than watching Hockey fights! Almost as good as boxing.

Ben

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
PA's rant
If the NHL wants to keep decreasing fighting, then they should have looked at the 23,000 people in the Wachovia Center screaming and jumping up and down. That is entertainment, thats what the fans like to see and WE pay the BILLS! Scoring is down, fighting is down, they're taking the fun out of it and I enjoyed every minute of this game, 8 goals and well over 300 penalty minutes. I know they have some proposals to try and increase scoring and I wish they would go back to letting the players police themselves. That is if there even is a season next year, but thats whole different story and a future rant.

I couldnt agree with you mroe about that PA i hope that fighting grows more. Where are all the enforcers?

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
419!!!

The Flyers and Senators set an all-time NHL record with 419 penalty minutes.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Yes thats excellent! Fist's flying and that makes great viewing!

Ben

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I was jsut catching teh action on Sportscenter just now. O woah that was some fun stuff. And the Goalies going at it. In the final mintues of the period there was litterally nobody on the benches. And when they got out to the ice they just fought and fought and fought some more. that is what im talking about.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
i see where these teams play again on april 2nd, will be a sell out for sure, get your tickets early

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
i see where these teams play again on april 2nd, will be a sell out for sure, get your tickets early

Funny you said that. Immediately after the game I was checking my schedule and looking for tickets, I think my brother and I will be there that night.

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
great game all they did was fight lol even the goalies started to

Ben

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
To bad that there isnt more games like these.

new topics

top topics

join