It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Forsberg returning to Sweden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Colorado Avalanche center Peter Forsberg is heading back to play ice hockey in his home country next season, according to a Saturday newspaper report in Sweden.

The newspaper Aftonbladet said that because of the likelihood of a prolonged NHL lockout, Forsberg has committed to play next season for MoDo, the Swedish Elite League team in his hometown of Ornskoldsvik.

Forsberg, the MVP last season, is playing this season under a one-year contract with Colorado, and it has been speculated that he was positioning himself to have the option to return to play for MoDo during an NHL labor dispute.

During the last NHL lockout in the mid 1990s, scores of European NHL players headed back to their native countries in Sweden, Finland, the Czech Republic and others. Wayne Gretzky's All-Stars toured Sweden, Finland, Norway and Germany, drawing sellout crowds for exhibitions during the lockout.

The 30-year-old Forsberg played four seasons for MoDo before joining the Quebec Nordiques in 1995, following the last NHL work stoppage.

sports.espn.go.com...

This is bad news for the NHL, Forsberg is arguably the best player in the NHL and it's sad to see him returning to Sweden to play hockey. I hope the NHL can get its #e together and make sure that there is a season to play next year. Otherwise Forsberg will have many more followers.

Ben

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
How come he is wanting to go back to sweden?

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Forsberg is making sure that he can play hockey next year. If he signs with the Avs and there is a lockout, he cannot play for any other club. Since his contract is up, I believe this is the best move for him. Makes sense to me. Obviously he wants to play hockey, and with the uncertainty that there will be a 2004-05 season, why sign a contract that will cause you to not play hockey for a season?

He has also wanted to be closer to home. There have been rumors before the CBA stuff that he might return to Sweden and play hockey there. I believe his dad is there, and that might be a huge factor, specially if his dad is passionette about the game and supports his son 100%.

I don't blame him. He will be one of the few people in the NHL that if there is a lockout and 1 year missing from NHL hockey, he will be ready to come back for the 05-06 season. Assuming there is an NHL.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Colorado Avalanche center Peter Forsberg denied Monday he has committed to play next season in Sweden.

The Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reported Saturday that because of the likelihood of an NHL work stoppage in September, Forsberg will play next season for MoDo, the Swedish Elite League team in his hometown of Ornskoldsvik.

"There's no truth whatsoever to what they wrote," Forsberg said. "I haven't talked to that newspaper in a while, so it came as a shock. I have not talked to MoDo at all about any contract."

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Then how did this come about?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkeye8424
Then how did this come about?

I see two possibilities

1. A newspaper just trying to sell papers.

OR

2. He really did say it, but didnt want it to go public and is now backtracking.

Thats what I think.

Ben

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
HE could be saying it and denieing it because he wants to keep it a secret and not rush to any conclusions and realyl give a thought about it.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I bet he wouldnt tell anybody cause he woudlnt want his teammates rebeling agaisnt him

new topics

top topics

join