It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Former Olympic coach Herb Brooks dies in car wreck

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Herb Brooks, who coached the U.S. hockey team to the ``Miracle on Ice'' victory over the Soviet Union at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics, died Monday in a car wreck, a state official said. He was 66.

Brooks coached the 1980 Olympic team that won the gold medal in Lake Placid, N.Y. He returned to lead the 2002 U.S. Olympic hockey team to a silver medal.

Brooks was killed when his car rolled over at a highway intersection north of the Twin Cities, according to the state official, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. Weather didn't appear to be a factor.

Brooks coached the Minnesota North Stars (1987-88), the New Jersey Devils (1992-93) and New York Rangers (1981-85), where he reached the 100-victory mark faster than any other coach in franchise history. He also coached the French Olympic team in Nagano 1998.

He was inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in 1990.

Last season, Brooks was the director of player development for Pittsburgh Penguins. He rejected a multimillion dollar offer to coach the New York Rangers last summer, saying didn't want to be away from his wife and family in Minnesota.

sports.yahoo.com...

R.I.P. Herb Brooks

I'll never forget the Miracle on Ice, probably the biggest victory in United States sports history.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Man, thats bad news.........

I still get chills when I think about the "miracle on ice".

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
I still get chills when I think about the "miracle on ice".

So do I! I can still hear Al Michaels saying "Do you believe in miracles?!"

This is an unfortunate way to remember that great game. Brooks retired from hockey last year to spend more time with his family, this is so sad.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Herb Brooks will forever be a hockey legend. hopefully he's up there somewhere in hockey heaven, still doing what he does best.

[Edited on 04/10/03 by MorningtonCrescent]

Ben

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 11:59 PM
link   
This was some coach....i wonder why he didnt coach more often.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 01:42 AM
link   
America DO love an underdog, don't she?

I remember my whole family, who exept for one, could give a rat's arse about hocky, SCREAMING, and CHEERING, and CRYING during every game these rag-tag, no-name, mutts, led by a crusty, young, no-name, mutt of a coach played. From game one, no less. Not after they had advanced to the medal round. You didn't have to be a hockey fan to know these guys were just special. At my house, you'd think UK was playing Uof L in the NCAA championship game! It was one of those times that being American just made you tingle, like electricity. I'm missing that feeling....
Coach, I know you're up there, cause Zambonis just don't work in Hell!
:
Salute!
Killdick of the Bluegrass

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Hey, I did picked the "halo" smiley on that last post, not "popeye"! WTF?

the Killdick

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by killdickvital
Hey, I did picked the "halo" smiley on that last post, not "popeye"! WTF?

the Killdick

yeah, I had that problem too. that's why I had to edit my post. I think something's wrong with it. 0

top topics

join