It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Coyotes shopping Burke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
As talented as Quebec Major Junior Hockey League standout Marc-Andre Fleury is, he's not the best available goaltender at this Saturday's NHL draft. The goalie who could immediately change the fortunes of an NHL team is Phoenix Coyotes netminder Sean Burke. The Coyotes, needing to reduce payroll, continue to welcome inquiries about Burke, though nothing is imminent.

Sean Burke saves a shot against Russia while playing for Canada during the World Hockey Championships last month.
By Sven Nackstrand, AFP

"We have three proven NHL goalies, and rather than lose one in the waiver draft, it behooves us to listen," Phoenix general manager Mike Barnett says.

The Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers seem to be most in need of a front-line netminder, and since arriving in Phoenix, Burke has proved himself to be a difference-maker.

"I don't think there is a goaltender in the National Hockey League that has played at a higher level than him consistently over the past three years," Barnett says.

A high ankle sprain limited Burke to 22 games last season, and the Coyotes, who missed the playoffs, lost only six of his appearances.

The Bruins seem like a good fit, particularly if Mike Sullivan gets the coaching job. Sullivan played with Burke in Phoenix, and they are good friends.

posted on Jun, 21 2003 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeflonDon

The Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers seem to be most in need of a front-line netminder, and since arriving in Phoenix, Burke has proved himself to be a difference-maker.

"I don't think there is a goaltender in the National Hockey League that has played at a higher level than him consistently over the past three years," Barnett says.

Haha, what a joke. Typical salesman trying to shop around his goalie, but the most consistent goalie over 3 years? Please.

I hope he doesn't come back to the Flyers, he made a stop in Philly about 5 years ago and I was far from impressed.

Ben

posted on Jun, 21 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well if the flyers don't pick up Burke, what goalie are they going to get?

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
Well if the flyers don't pick up Burke, what goalie are they going to get?

Good question Ben, I have no idea.

I hope Bobby Clarke pulls someone out of his sleeve, I'm tired of musical goalies.

top topics

join