It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Cechmanek leaving Philly?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Flyers goaltender Roman Cechmanek probably will not return to the team following a disappointing finish in the playoffs.

"I think it'll be very difficult to bring Roman back,'' general manager Bob Clarke said Monday. "I don't think he wants to come back. I think he feels it's not a good place for him.''

� I hear what people say. They hate me. I don't know why they hate me, hate our team. We do what we know. � � Roman Cechmanek

espn.go.com...

I think Cechmanek is a good goalie, his problem was consistency. One night he looks like a Vezina goalie and the next night he is swiss cheese, and inconsistency doesn't cut it in the playoffs. The Flyers have the funds, I hope they go out and get a good veteran goalie to lead this team to a Stanley Cup, its about freakin time.

Bye-bye Roman!

Ben

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Roman will be definatly leaving Philli. Two questions come to mind though. Where will Roman go now that he has left the Flyers? And what veteran goalie are they going to get? Last season was when all the big goaltenders were in the free agency, they might have to trade to get a goalie.

Like you said PA Roman was great one night and bad the other and inconsistancy like that won't get you far in the NHL.

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm not surprized by this.But you can't blame the goalie for everything.The other team has to go through 5 other guy's.

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
Two questions come to mind though. Where will Roman go now that he has left the Flyers? And what veteran goalie are they going to get? Last season was when all the big goaltenders were in the free agency, they might have to trade to get a goalie.

Its a little early to speculate, but I have heard it's possible he might return o the Czech Republic. I'm sure GM Bobby Clarke will try to trade him and get something in return. There were some big goaltenders in free agency last year, they just might have to make a trade for a veteran goalie. I heard Barry Melrose say that he thinks the best available guy might be Sean Burke from Phoenix, but I'm not a big Burke fan, not to mention he's no spring chicken. He actually played in Philly for a couple of months a few years back, he came here as a trade deadline "rent-a-goalie". We traded one of our great young prospects last year for Adam Oates, another rent-a-player in Philly.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday traded goaltender Roman Cechmanek to the Los Angeles Kings for a second-round pick in the 2004 draft.

Clarke said this month the Flyers would pursue a new goaltender through a trade or free agency. He expects backup Robert Esche to be a starter in the league, but isn't certain the 25-year-old goalie is ready.

Cechmanek was 33-15-10 with a 1.83 goals-against average in the regular season, helping the Flyers finish just one point behind first-place New Jersey in the Atlantic Division.

Cechmanek has a 1.96 lifetime goals-against average in three seasons, lowest among goaltenders with at least 150 regular-season games since 1943-44.

espn.go.com...

I thought he was worth much more than a second round draft pick!

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
great trade, the Kings needed to replace Felix Potvin... ever since he was a hot goalie in the playoffs 3 years ago he's just disintegrated

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 02:19 AM
link   
PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Flyers are in no hurry to replace Roman Cechmanek.

One day after trading the No. 1 goaltender to the Los Angeles Kings, Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said he'll probably wait at least another month to find a replacement.

Among those expected to become free agents are the Kings' Felix Potvin, Boston's Jeff Hackett and St. Louis' Chris Osgood.

The Flyers still have Robert Esche, who they expect to develop into a No. 1 goalie.

espn.go.com...

Ben

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 10:09 AM
link   
There are some good goalies out there, maybe the will pick up somebody in the draft. Like you said PA they have developed Esche into a number 1 goalie. So i would have to say let the kid have his shot in Net. The Blues might re-sign Osgood, he did do a very good job with them the time that he was there. I would look for Hackett and Potvin to go into the free agency.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
I would look for Hackett and Potvin to go into the free agency.

Do you think either of these goalies are Stanley Cup material? I'm not so sure they are, there aren't many options available.

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Potvin is a great goalie, although watching a few games earlier this season he didn't get much defensive support from the Kings

its time for a change I think

[Edited on 04/10/03 by Cannon]

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

Originally posted by Ben
I would look for Hackett and Potvin to go into the free agency.

Do you think either of these goalies are Stanley Cup material? I'm not so sure they are, there aren't many options available.

neither of those goalies are stanley cup material at all

top topics

join