It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Carolina Hurricanes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The Carolina Hurricanes went from the Stanley Cup finals to the NHL's worst record.
And their 61 points were the fewest one year after a trip to the finals since the league's 1979-80 expansion.
A long list of reasons for Carolina's problems include a lack of scoring, porous defense and goaltending, and injuries to Rod Brind'Amour (hand surgery) and Erik Cole (broken leg) at midseason.

They also lost their goalie Kevin Weekes for awhile with a concussion and Arturs Irbe struggled all year, they even tried to trade Irbe but there were no takers so he was eventually sent down ot the AHL. I think they still have a long way to go to contend next season.

Ben

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It really shocked me that a team like the Hurricanes could fall so fast in just a short amount of time. They were a very good team last year, and they did very well in the playoffs. I still haven't quite fiquered out why they fell so fast, maybe it was lack of motivation. Every team in the league has injuries. But the main problem was Goaltending, Kevin and Irbe were one of the best combinations of goalies last season, and where why the Hurricanes went so far. They have a long way to go before they are going to be contenders again.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 09:57 PM
link   
if irbe gets back to his palying ability they could very well contend again. Every team has problems with injuries all season - but it's when the goalie goes down that things go really badly. They still have the ability to get back in the race next year, but it'll be a tough year for them to overcome.

join