It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Interesting No-Hitter Stats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I had always wondered if someone had pitched a no-hitter, but had still lost the game. Well, When I lookd it up, I found these people had pitched No-Hitters and still lost their games:

On April 23, 1964, Pitcher Ken Johnson (Hou) lost to the Cincinnati Reds 1-0 after pitching a No-Hitter.

On April 30, 1967, Pitchers Stu Miller and Steve Barber (Bal) lost to the Detroit Tigers 2-1, after both combining for a No-Hitter.

On July 1, 1990, pitcher Andy Hawkins (NYY) lost to the Chicago White Sox 4-0 after pitching a No-Hitter.

On April 12, 1992, Pitcher Matt Young (Bos) lost to the Cleveland Indians 2-1 after pitching a No-Hitter.

There were many No-Hitters that pitchers threw that were broken up in extra innings eventually leading to losses.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yeah, and those guys used to get credit for no-hitters. Ernie Shore, a teammate of Babe Ruth's on the Boston Red Sox, got credit for a perfect game for decades. Ruth walked the game's first hitter, then got ejected for arguing with the empired. (Only Ruth...) Shore then came in, picked the runner off first, and retired the next 26 men. Until about 15 or 20 years ago, he was credited with a "perfect game" for that. And lots of guys who won 5- or 7-inning games were given credit for no-hitters.

Then one day the stodgy folks at MLB decided to get uptight about all of this. And they said a "no hitter" or a "perfect game" is one which is thus for at least 9 innings, AND to the game's conclusion. Bye-bye to Harvey Haddix's TWELVE innings of perfect baseball, which ended with a 3-run HR and a defeat. Bye-bye to Shore's "perfect game." And bye-bye to a lot of truncated no-hitters.

I believe Ernie Shore was already dead by then, but what a rotten thing to do.

BHN

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It seemed that every other No-Hitter, especially back in the day, was from a game called short to 5 to 7 innings.

join