It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: I'm giving MLB another chance.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This sport has broken my heart thrice. Let me preface, I'm not a Jays fan but those are the games I'll see the most, living where I do. I was an Expo's fan. The first heartbreak was Rick Monday hitting a home run in 1980(?) in the National league finals. That was OK, at least it was on the field. The Expo's were SMOKING the league in 1994, would have won the World Series easliy, except for the strike/lockout.
Thirdly, the S'pos are gone, playing in DC, right?

OK, a dozen years later and I'm giving them another chance. Hey, let's face it, I'm a Canuck, I can forgive a hockey strike/lockout much easier than a BB one.

So, why the thread? I haven't a clue as to the state of MLB. I will have questions, here's the first.

How strong are the Twins?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
HEY, WELCOME BACK, GUY!!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The Twins? If they were any stronger, they'd be Triplets.

Good to see you back TN. Just in time for countdown to football season.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Twins won three consecutive division titles, before finishing in the middle. They have some young players, so they may have gotten slightly better. I expect a 2-3 finish for the Twins in their division.

And welcome back to baseball!

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Welcome back to baseball. As far as the Twins all the news i get is spun to make it sound like the Twins are going to win the World Series. They do have some promising young players it's yet to be determined if they can live up to the hype, also the pitching is almost always an issue for the twins. Santana is a great pitcher but when he sucks he really sucks. If they can keep their pitchers in line i wouldn't be suprised if they took the Central division.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
The Twins? If they were any stronger, they'd be Triplets.

Good to see you back TN. Just in time for countdown to football season.

Thanks for the welcome guys. BTW did Ming ever come back?

Next year start this month with the draft. Prediction for my Niners is that they will draft some stars that will be promptly let go once the begin to perform.
I picked laugh rather than cry.

The reason I asked about the Twins is because there's a lot of hype here about the Jays, I want to see if it's warranted and I saw the Twins/Jays game with Santana on the mound. I enjoyed it.

Now I just have to find a team to get behind.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth

Thanks for the welcome guys. BTW did Ming ever come back?

Not with the Patsies losing...

Now I just have to find a team to get behind.

Why don't you be foolish like me, and try supporting the Phillies? It's guaranteed that they will never win again, with the curse of William Penn hanging over the city like a shroud...

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Why don't you be foolish like me, and try supporting the Phillies? It's guaranteed that they will never win again, with the curse of William Penn hanging over the city like a shroud...

I think i heard about this curse, is it the one that says no buildings in Phillie can be taller than the statue?

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I wonder how I could have forgotten Ming!

Lookin forward to his return.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I've just recently been learning about Ming. A few of his more, um, memorable posts have been sent my way.

He's one of this's place's, um, singular (in both senses) individuals, isn't he? I hope I get a chance to "meet" him.

Anything you can do, NYG (or anyone else), to hasten his return?

BHN

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
He usually is gone for long periods of time, especially when football season is over. He should be back sometime soon since Football Season isn't too far off.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The Mingster actually only made about 4-5 posts during all of last season. I think he'll shy away again until the Patriots are dominant, so that may be a while...

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

I think i heard about this curse, is it the one that says no buildings in Phillie can be taller than the statue?

Yeah, that's the deal there. The law was repealed in I beleive 1983, and no Philly team has won a championship since.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Ok, saw my second game this year and I'm having a hard time picking a team. The Twins looked good, the Jays looked good, today the Chisox's looked good. I found out today that they won the WS last year. WHAT? Last time I looked the black sox were a joke. AND the Bosox won it the year before. I heard about that one though, Curse of the Bambino stuff.

Maybe I'll be lucky, just watch some good ball without a fav.

Oh, even though I grew up watching the NL, I still hate the Yankies.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
You know.. you could always go for the Braves (14 consecutive division titles) or the Giants (Nothing overly impressive to add here)

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan
You know.. you could always go for the Braves (14 consecutive division titles) or the Giants (Nothing overly impressive to add here)

Can't be a Braves fan, remember, I was an Expo's fan. That would be sacriledge.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I saw a couple of more teams this weekend, Angels and Orioles. Man, I'm enjoying the game. I might just end up in the enviable position of enjoying the game without backing a team, same as hockey.

Of note, look at the AL East, .500 ball gets you LAST place:

Boston 9 4 .692 - -

Baltimore 8 6 .571 1.5

Tampa Bay 7 6 .538 2.0

New York 6 6 .500 2.5

Toronto 6 6 .500 2.5

Man, that's tight.

The NL Central seems almost that tight too.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
You could always go with the Devil Rays, nobody would call you a band wagon jumper, and if you manage to watch a couple games it would be like going to your kids T ball game, so it would be fun to watch.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
AL east is gonna be the most exciting thing to watch this year. Every team is pretty challenging (at least against the Red Sox), so it should be all god times. I'm sorry I forgot what I was posting about. But yeah those Red Sox off to a great start eh? Curt Schilling 4-0 start, what more can you say (probably a lot).

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
If only they'd kept the guy who, when his career is over, may displace Lefty Grove as the greatest pitcher in baseball history. (And I'm not even talking about Clemens, whom that guy may displace as the greatest RIGHT-handed pitcher in baseball history.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join