It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Just So Everyone Knows....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Dear Gibbs, TRD, Kwy, IA Clonz, Y.R., and All,

I just want everyone to know this:

Most of you are aware I make my living as an attorney, and perhaps most of you are aware that I specifically make my living writing appeals for convicted murderers, mostly ones on Death Row. That being so, I spend most of my day at my computer, doing research and legal writing. And I usually have 2 or 3 or 4 browsers open, frequently including one to this site.

This doesn't mean I'm constantly watching this site; it doesn't mean I'm constantly hawking what gets posted here so I can respond to it; it doesn't even necessarily mean I am in my house, as I may be out on a dinner date or concert date or running my dog, and have forgotten to shut down the browsers and log off of the Net.

So:

(1) I'm not some lifeless weirdo sitting here all day watching this site; and

(2) I'm not sitting here waiting to pounce on whatever someone says with some faux-clever response.

I apologize if I seem neurotic in devoting a thread to this non-topic, but I don't want anyone having any misgivings about the fact it seems like I'm constantly "on" this site. I'm really not.

OK, back to sports topics someone actually cares about.

B.H.N.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Well, I for one am glad you're here contributing regardless of the circumstances. As far as I'm concerned, the site can use all the participation it can get. Especially of the quality you provide.

I'd think with a high stress position, it would be good to take a couple of minutes every once in awhile and focus on something else, like this forum, just to take a little break.

I know that's what I do. My job isn't nearly as stressful as yours must be, but having a chance to focus on something else for a few minutes a day sure helps me get back to focus on the tasks at hand.

So post away. It gives me, and I'm sure others, a chance to see something new. And just because I don't add to a thread doesn't mean I'm not reading it. I look at the trivia stuff, but generally don't have a prayer of answering since baseball trivia's not my forte. Like that question about the triples. I looked up the answer and have never even heard of one of those guys. Anything '60s through early '80s maybe, but obscure baseball stuff earlier or especially later and I have no idea.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Yes, as long as your contributing, I don't really mind. Whether you write essays to post, or a two or three liner, as long as your contributing, then I have no care about how often your on here and what-not.

Now if you were on here often, and not posting anythin, then I'd be kinda mad. During summertimes, I'm nearly on here 24/7, so I know what your talking about. Summer is also when i do much of my "recruiting", much of which comes from MySpace.com, and other things of that nature.

So don't worry, I haven't ever viewed you as a ST Stalker or anything. So take care man.

TRD

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I've spent thousands of hours on here and im no wierdo...

If you love sports then this is the place to be, you cant always talk to your friends about sports so what better way to do it?

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
TRD,

Glad to see you back, man. Missed ya, even during that brief absence. And thanks ALL for the positive feedback. Those posts felt real good to read.

BHN

[Edited on 4/10/06 by BaseballHistoryNut]

TRD

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Good to be back, this fundraising is taking up alot of time, its hard work to get any sort of signed sports memorabilia from teams/players/clubs for the sports event/auction im hoping to put on. I have a few things so far but tons more letters to write and phone calls.. But the list of items donated is growing (some i had to pay a small fee for but i get reimbursed)

So far the inventory stands at:

Celtic team signed football
Wigan team signed shirt/jersey
West Brom signed shirt/jersey
West Ham signed shirt/jersey
Blackburn signed team photo
Chelsea team signed football
Middlesborough pledged trip for 4 to the stadium
Signed Roy Bently photo
Signed Dave Mackay lifting FA Cup photo

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
You know, I haven't been paying attention to this thing. What is the charitable cause here? Please let me know and I may kick something in from the Pacific Coast.

BHN

TRD

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Its for the Cystic Fibrosis trust, im not asking these players/teams ect for money just some sort of signed shirt/football/picture ect to auction.

My nephew Ben, who is two years old, was born with this disease which so far has proved to be incurable. The funds raised at this event im hoping to stage, will enable the CF Trust to take full advantage of the tremendous opportunities in research that are on the horizon. The path to finding a cure for CF is paved with numerous research opportunities - of which any one could have a profound impact on the lives of those with the disease. The only thing standing in the way of a cure is additional money to fund this life-saving research. The donations in the way of any autographed memorabilia, for example, shirts, footballs, pictures, etc, from sports players/teams ect, would allow the CF Trust to give children with Cystic Fibrosis the quality of life and future they deserve.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Dear TRD,

Yes, I found it.

In 1993, Ken Griffey, Jr., signed 1,993 copies of a "Topps pre-production card, limited edition of 1993." Each card is autographed and numbered in blue ink, framed in some kind of hard plastic substance, and has a dark blue base with a plaque which reads as quoted above. The front photo features him dropping his bat after a swing; the back photo is a facial. On the back are his stats through 1992.

I have two copies of this, one of which is #37 and the other of which is #976. I'm keeping #37, but I will give you #976. Since the guy is not only a member of the 500 HR club, but has already passed fellow members Murray, Ott, Banks, Mathews, McCovey, Ted Williams, Foxx and Mantle--and is STILL only 36--this is a guy who likely will hit 600 HR's. And, despite a suspicious 4-year spike in which he hit 209 HR's, he is widely perceived, including probably by me, as someone who hit his HR's legitimately.

I know that when I bought my original card, for something like $200, I thought it was a great investment in the man who would surely break Aaron's record. Well, he surely won't break that record, and the last I knew, the price of the card had fallen a lot, which is why I bought the second one (at a real cheap price, like $50).

I don't know what they are worth now, but given the above HR facts, and given the undeniable fact this guy is #12 on the all-time HR list--and rising, with Mike Schmidt next at 548--I would think a limited edition, autographed and numbered card of his ought to be worth something. No? (If you find out, on the Net or otherwise, that it's worth the equivalent of five hundred American dollars, do me a favor and tell me, and I'll send you something like my Manute Bol autographed card instead, ok? I'm in debt, so $500....)

I THINK I just found a place on-line which is selling it for $179, so I don't think the equivalent of $500 will be an issue. And if it is, screw it. I won't be flying to England anytime soon to sell a baseball card, so if you can get that much, more power to you.

Please send me a U2U about how to follow up on this. I will send you a flood of Griffey stats to help at the auction. And please let me know what this card goes for, since my #37 should go for more.

B.H.N.

TRD

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the offer BHN, im not sure about how much it would be worth or how big it is a collecters field in the UK... I'll search around on the net and see what i can find out about it. I dont want to take your offer and it doesnt fetch a decent amount over here...

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Thanks, I appreciate that and that's a good thought. So I'll wait to see what you find out about its marketability over there. But I think one thing you'll find out is that he benefits from the perception that he, unlike all the other guys with similar career stats from his era, did it the honest way. That may or may not be true, but it's the popular perception.

I will await the results of your research, and appreciate your consideration in finding out whether this will fetch a decent amount before taking me up on my offer. This COULD, after all, be something that's worth a lot more in 35 years, or whenever he passes on, at which time I'll be long gone but my next of kin won't. Then again, it's been just over 35 years since Jimmie Foxx (534 HR's and #2 on the HR list at the time of his death) died, and I don't think his cards are worth a fortune, are they?

BHN

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
All the memorabilia I have is an autographed Pete Rose bat, and an autographed Brett Favre picture numbered 61/104 with a piece of his jersey which is shown Here.

Other than that I have a Jermaine O'neal jersey card. My dad has the rest of my memorabilia stuff with him in Texas, and that's the stuff i think is disposable to me, but unfortunately I can't send it since it is not currently in my possession.

I've been trying to get something from my distant relative, Luis Aparicio, which I'm sure you guys, especially BHN has heard of before. But I've had no luck so far in that category.

I could send you guys my own personal autographed picture. I'm sure that would go for millions

[Edited on 4/10/2006 by GiantsFan]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You may tell your distant relative that Bill James rates him as the 13th greatest shortstop in the history of Major League Baseball. Considering the names ahead of him, that is quite a compliment.

I just pored over his stats. He didn't walk often enough, and of course he had no HR power, giving him terrible career OBP and slugging figures of .311 and .343. BUT, he had an excellent glove, committing almost 25% fewer errors and showing over 10% better range for his career than the average SS of his time. Moreover, he not only stole 506 bases, but only got caught 136 times, giving him an outstanding career stolen base percentage of 78--vastly better than some guys with more SB's. And, while he walked only 736 times in over 11,000 plate appearances, he also only struck out 742 times. That is impressive.

One other thing: He was a right-handed hitter, and since he rarely walked or struck out, and had over 11,000 career plate appearances, I would have expected at least 250 career double plays. He hit into only 184 in 18 seasons [had to edit THAT! "8 seasons!" Yeah, you bet. Lolol]. The guy must have run like the wind. Having been almost exclusively an N.L. fan in my youth, I wish I'd seen him more than the few times that I did.

B.H.N.

[Edited on 4/10/06 by BaseballHistoryNut]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Yea... he is my grandmothers, cousins father or sojmething like that. Haven't met him yet, and I wish I could have seen him play. And yes, I know he wasn't much of a power hitter or anything, but from clips I have seen him playing at SS, I loved it. I've learned many things from him as I play SS also.

Also, BHN... I wonder if you've heard of my uncle. He played Triple A for the Giants with the Fresno Grizzlies back in the mid 80's I believe. His name was John Spellman. From what I understand, he was only weeks from having a chance to play pro, but was struck in the eye, therefore taking away any chances he had as he lost much of the sight in that eye. That is what I was afraid of when I had the line drive to the eye, but he got his while at the plate.

He's now a scout for the Anaheim Angels.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
GIANTS FAN: Nope, sorry, but I've never heard of him, and I almost never follow minor leaguers. I did follow Clemens in the minors, and I've heard of Steve Dalkowski, per that other post, because he threw something like 110 mph--the fastest pitcher in known history--and both walked and struck out 2+ batters per inning. MAN, if he'd ever learned to throw strikes.... Still, I think I'd have found room for him at the end of a major league bench, just to pitch to one guy in the right spot. If he walked him, so be it, but the guy wasn't likely to hit him!

TRD: I think you've got the spirit of this from NYG and me: We will help with what we reasonably can, but not the kitchen sink. I ain't cuttin' loose with my autographed Lefty Grove card (only the best pitcher who ever lived), but one of those Griffey cards is OK, as long as its value hasn't absolutely skyrocketed. You're a good guy and it's kinda hard to deny how good that cause is.

BHN

Ben

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Good to see you back trd, maybe i will catch you on aim shortly to catch up on old times. Glad to see thigns are well.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I THINK I just found a place on-line which is selling it for $179, so I don't think the equivalent of $500 will be an issue. And if it is, screw it. I won't be flying to England anytime soon to sell a baseball card, so if you can get that much, more power to you.

Dear TRD,

Just to be clear:

The place I found on-line was a commercial place, not some person who's unloading his/her baseball cards. So, it's not a card that's currently worth $450, being sold for the bargain price of $179. Rather, it's probably a card I could sell on E-Bay for something like $79, being sold by a baseball memorabilia merchant for a tidy profit at $179, probably after having bought it for $79 off of somebody.

Anyway, go ahead and see if there's a meaningful market for it. A lot may depend on what Griffey does this year. He's not off to a good start, but it's too early for that to mean anything. If it looks at year's end like he's headed for 600 HR's, well, then remember that only 3 other people are credited with HONESTLY having done that: Aaron, Ruth and Mays. The vast majority of people I know couldn't care less how many HR's Bonds and Sosa hit. (I'm not buying that Sosa is in fact "retired," and he's very close to 600.)

Going from his current 537 to 600 would put Griffey past a lot of GREAT home run hitters: Schmidt, Reggie, Killebrew (one-dimensional, but what a dimension) and Frank Robinson, and it would also put him ahead of McGwire, Sosa and Palmeiro. (Lolol.)

At that point, I think, a limited edition, autographed Griffey card might be worth a good deal more than it is now. And we don't necessarily need to wait for season's end to know. By late June, barring injury, we should know if Griffey still has home-run power in that uppercut swing of his. Most of his numbers were up last year, and his slugging average was the highest it had been since the turn of the century.

But what I said stands: Even if you find out you can fetch the American equivalent of $500 over there, as long as it's not worth that kind of money here, I'll send it to you. If you want to send some of the dough back, that's up to you, but the fact I am now in debt is: (a) totally my fault; and (b) totally remediable, and soon.

And you're a great guy and that's a great cause. So let me know how you want to proceed on this, ok?

BHN

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Boy, you guys sure do get touchy feely at this site. Maybe a discussion on naked females would bring us all back to our manliness.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Dear Flounder,

If those are your issues, dude, there are plenty of "babe" threads here and you can ooze testosterone (among other things) all over them. I steer clear of them. Maybe you want to steer clear of my posts, because I'm a guy who's not afraid to express emotions.

B.T.W., though that's how I am as a result of my upbrining in a female-dominated house (my mom, her mom, 2 sisters, no brothers), it pays HUGE benefits with women. You ought to try it.

Not that I don't know how to talk like a caveman and get angry and thump my chest. Twenty-five years ago, there weren't many guys who wanted a piece of me (6'2", over 250 pounds), and most of the ones who did regretted it. But that side of me was never the real one, and I frankly don't feel embarrassed--much less apologetic--about manifesting the real side of me on here.

Now go look at your near-naked, silicone-inflated babes. The rest of us, who've known TRD for awhile and think he's a great guy, are more concerned with his nephew, who only has cystic fibrosis.

Baseball History Nut

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I've spent thousands of hours on here and im no wierdo...

Although there are some who might beg to differ...

BHN,
No need for apologies here, in fact, we could use abotu 50 more memers like you! You've been the main contributor to the site over the past few months, and have stepped in on occasion to help police the joint. Here here!

TRD,
I never put 2 and 2 together before today, a good friend of mine has a son, I think he's 4 now, who has CF. In central Pennsylvania, a fundraiser has been started years ago, selling "Burke P. Bear", collectible bears. Here is a link to the PACFI website - www.pacfi.org...

Another fundraiser that the Central PA CF group has is a local driver has painted his car with the PACFI logo and website on it. I'll try to post a picture this weekend.

Anyway, i don't have any items I can offer, but I can ask around, maybe my friend has something that he can offer.

-Gibbsy

[Edited on 4/12/2006 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

new topics

top topics

join