It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: "Juiced", What a joke.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Just wondering if anyone has read "Juiced", Jose Canseco's controversial book. If anyone has I would like to hear what others think of it.

My opinion of it was that Canseco is NUTS. He is sending a message to our youth that is terrible. He says that using steroids "properly" can be beneficial to your health and actually lengthen your life. Isn't that a contradiction to everything we have ever learned about steroids?

Canseco says himself that without steroids he would not have been near the player that he was. To me that says that he is nothing special at all. I have known some pretty good ballplayers that never made it to even the minor league level. It also tells me that some of those guys could have made it if they would have juiced. So why should we respect a guy that only did something that a lot of others could do if they cheated. I respect players for 2 main reasons. 1) Because they are great ballplayers and 2)because they a great guys off the field. From what I gathered Jose is neither one.

I don't know what Jose was trying to accomplish, but I don't think he accomplished it. In my eyes all he did was further discredit his career and attack other players. Most people will see that some of what he stated was true. We all know that Big Mac didn't just go to McDonalds and eat a bunch of Big Macs, he clearly juiced. For instance, he says Tajeda (spelling?) inquired about 'roids. Then he says that he never actually saw him use them or provided them to him. So why write that about a guy? It's simple, to make waves and sell books. And to me that tells us what type of guy he is.

iaclonz

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I wonder what Ken Caminiti's widow and children think about Canseco's thesis concerning the benefits of steroids.

You know, I and a lot of others at this site have ragged on McGwire, for the obvious phoniness of his transmogrifying himself from a very tall and fairly strong slugger into a circus strongman freak, and for his pathetic refusal to "discuss the past" in front of Congress.

But give McGwire this much: When he found out high school and junior high school kids were using the same cr@p he'd been using, and when he found out about its potential medical consequences for those kids, he very publicly stopped using at least that substance, and just as publicly urged all kids who'd been emulating him to KNOCK IT OFF IMMEDIATELY.

That doesn't make him a legitimate Hall of Famer, and I personally will never accept him as such.

But I surely give him a lot of credit for what he did there, for the sake of kids who were harming themselves as a result of his bad example. It reminds me of Mickey Mantle, in the final 2 or 3 months of his life in 1995, when he told kids not to follow his example about lifestyle, and added that he was a "terrible example," as his liver slowly took his life. I wish the Babe had done the same over the 2+ years it took for his throat cancer to kill him.

As you suggest, IA Clonz, Canseco has done exactly the opposite. And since this book has almost certainly been translated into Spanish, there is no way of knowing how many tens of millions of kids in both North AND SOUTH America he has hurt in the process.

It gives a whole new breadth of meaning to "selling one's soul to the Devil," doesn't it?

B.H.N.

join