It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Shave the Fish....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Now that the Florida Marlins have trimmed their payroll, facial hair is next.

New manager Joe Girardi wants to see no goatees, mustaches or beards when players begin reporting for spring training Feb. 18. A former catcher with the New York Yankees, Girardi liked owner George Steinbrenner's rule that permitted neatly trimmed mustaches but no beards or shaggy hair. Girardi's policy of no facial hair will be even stricter, and a first for the Marlins.

Sporting News

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
hmmm... i doubt this is going to improve performance

Maybe part of his ideology is that if the players are nice and tidy facially wise, they will feel better and hence better performance

Is there any players in this team with a big beard or moustache? that this rule will affect?

anyways, i guess this rules you out of trying for the team TRD

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think the rule is aimed more at making the players look more professional, instead of like thugs and homeless people. I personally like the idea, when you get paid as much as baseball players do you should at least take a little pride in your appearance.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
do you think maybe the manager is getting told to get this rule in order from higher up the ladder.

I see what you are saying Aegis

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
do you think maybe the manager is getting told to get this rule in order from higher up the ladder.

I don't think that's the case. the new manager is Joe Girardi, a long time Yankee. he probably just got very used to the idea and it seems to work well for the Yanks, it's one less distraction for the team if everyone has to be clean shaven, and have a haircut.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
I think the rule is aimed more at making the players look more professional, instead of like thugs and homeless people. I personally like the idea, when you get paid as much as baseball players do you should at least take a little pride in your appearance.

But Aegis, I am a criminal appeals attorney who has won more homicide appeals than anyone I've heard of, and two of them were national news, which I've for sure never heard of anyone else's doing. I take pride in the fact my hair hasn't been cut in nearly 10 years and goes well down my back. It's part of my personal identity and most love it.

Also, courts don't mind, even though the legal world is a great deal more reactionary and tradition-bound than baseball is.

Am I missing something? Have I been looking like a thug and a homeless person without realizing it?

B.H.N.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut

I take pride in the fact my hair hasn't been cut in nearly 10 years and goes well down my back. It's part of my personal identity and most love it.

Am I missing something? Have I been looking like a thug and a homeless person without realizing it?

B.H.N.

I'm gonna guess that when you go into court, you are dressed in a nice suit, hair tied neatly in a ponytail and look respectable, i'd also guess that you don't have the unkempt beard of a caveman hanging off of your face also, you know the kind i'm referring to (Johnny Damon anyone?).

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
AEGIS FANG,

A very good response, devoid of irrational anger or misplaced stereotyping.

YES, you're correct about how I go into court. I do wear boots, but they are $450 Justin lizard-skin boots, burgundy in color, and they go great with my suit. The suit is a nice one, professionally dry cleaned immediately before I fly down from my remote paradise to perform oral argument in S.F. or L.A. And yes, I get a woman (they're much better at it than we are) to tie my hair up nicely right before court.

You're right on the beard, too, though I don't know whether that's of necessity or not. I am one of those guys who can grow a thick, luxurious mustache in two weeks, but couldn't grow a comparable beard in two years. I've tried a few times in my life to grow beards, and the result is so scraggly, stubbly and pathetic that it looks like I'm making believe. Like a person in his/her 80's with jet black hair. Now that a lot of gray has sneaked into my mustache (but somehow not my scalp hair), I stay completely clean shaven in the normal meaning of that expression.

If I COULD grow a good beard, I would, but yeah, I'd keep it well-trimmed and nice looking, not looking like a magnet for exotic insects. And, for the sake of my client, I would shave the beard before I went into court, because that PLUS the real long hair is more than some of those judges' stomachs would swallow, and my client's interests are more important than my sense of identity--especially now that I do only capital appeals.

Good response, dude.

B.H.N.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
thanks BHN, i could tell that i struck a nerve with you, and after closer examination i realized how my first response could be considered inflamatory. i have a problem with that alot of times and end up digging myself out of some pretty deep holes, but after years of experience i've come to be sort of an expert at it. I can be pretty blunt and straight forward, usually just saying the first thing that comes to mind, which usually isn't the proper thing to say. thanks for your cander in the matter. i don't know where i'd be without good attorneys like you in this world, most likely prison. can't wait for baseball season, pitchers and catchers report in 2 or 3 weeks if i'm not mistaken.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
less than 2 weeks to go now :party-smiley-018:

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I don't think the hair is a big issue, as long as it looks tidy then i can't see why it would be such a problem. What would happen if there was a muslim baseball player as most you see have facial hair?

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Now if you would just apply that to your hatred oF Bonds.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by HOOTIE

From what i've read i don't think that he hates Bonds, just what he has done over the last couple years, ruined the integrity of baseball. I could be wrong though.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The integrity of bb hasn't been ruined by Bonds. The last 3 weeks Bonds played last year, SF attendance increased. MLB also set a attendance record last year. Bonds used a little cream, Mays, Aaron, Maris, Stargell were pill poping druggies. Pick your poison.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HOOTIE

Sorry, guy, but everyone else who's voiced an opinion at this site agrees with me about Bonds' being a cheat, in the face of mountains of circumstantial evidence. And they're right.

Yeah, his stats are second only to Babe Ruth's. Have I not made that clear a billion times? And he has seasons which surpass Ruth's best, IMO, when you take the 2 ballparks into account. But he's a cheat.

Yeah, I hate the guy for being an insufferable pr*ck, but that's not why I want to put an asterisk by everything he's done since mid-2000. You simply aren't listening, probably because YOU don't want to accept the obvious truth. You know.... "Say it ain't so, Joe."

It is.

BHN

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
And would you PLEASE quit with your ludicrous analogy between taking pills that keep you awake and/or give you energy, and using cr@p which turns you into Godzilla? NOBODY at this site buys that analogy, and for the very good reason it's a preposterous one.

"You cheated on an exam in 8th grade and I embezzled $600,000 from my corporate employer. We're both cheats."

That is how ridiculous it sounds. And not just to me.

BHN

BHN

Sir

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think its a good idea to smarten up a bit, boost team morale and all that..

And... Even i know Bonds is a cheat and i dont follow baseball that much.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   

And would you PLEASE quit with your ludicrous analogy between taking pills that keep you awake and/or give you energy, and using cr@p which turns you into Godzilla? NOBODY at this site buys that analogy, and for the very good reason it's a preposterous one.

"You cheated on an exam in 8th grade and I embezzled $600,000 from my corporate employer. We're both cheats."

That is how ridiculous it sounds. And not just to me.

BHN

BHN

Cheating is cheating. Your example is ridiculous. A hand slap for cheating on a test, versus prison time. No one knows how much less Mays, Aaron, Maris, Stargell would have done, had they played tired everyday. Hundreds took roids, many have been suspended. 99% of them didn't hit 50 hrs. Bonds is going to the HOF, plain and simple. Some voters won't vote for him, but he's going in, to join the hundreds of other cheats in there. And i'm not the only person sharing my views. I have seen some HOF voters say they won't hold it against him.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
No one here can really dispute that he is deserving of Cooperstown. He will go in first ballot almost certainly. But what sux is that he has not had to pay for it at all.(his reputation was already not the greatest) Here I go again but Pete Rose surely PAID for "cheating", which I don't think he ever did. This is a comparison we can make because if anything it is unfair for Rose, considering he only did things that could have hurt his team.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Other than you, I am the ONLY person I know who thinks Bonds belongs in the Hall of Fame. That's a fact. The difference is, I would take everything from the day he hit that 493-foot home run off of Seth Etherton (6/7/00)--the first OBVIOUSLY phony, steroid-produced home run--and erase it. I mean, what can one say? In his whole career to that point, Bonds had hit only 3 balls over 450 feet, and all three were wind-aided. This one wasn't, and he's since hit THIRTY more. In law, one would say "res ipsa loquitur," which means "the thing speaks for itself"--all too eloquently.

As I've said before (until I'm getting tired of having to say it), you have to believe in the Easter Bunny to believe something like that isn't BIG-TIME cheating. Your comparison to greenies is ludicrous. I experienced Maris's season the first time, and have watched film clips of it since, and to compare pep pills to making oneself into Godzilla is either: (a) to have my ex-wife's powers of logic; or (b) to want desperately and passionately to redeem Bonds' feats because one admires him as a hero.

Either way, it's a no-go. The guy's a flagrant, brazen, undeniable cheat.... The difference between Bonds on the one hand, and McGwire and Sosa on the other, is that since Bonds was an enormously better player to begin with, the Godzilla stuff has helped him more than it the others.

I know it's nice to believe once is seeing all these wondrous, Babe Ruth seasons--as if 1920, 1921, 1923 and 1927 are happening all over again. But Bonds never came within 100 miles of this stuff until he was nearly 36 (an age when everyone else falls apart), and this b.s. is for people who believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

The difference between me and most people I know is I realize that if you take everything Bonds did prior to the Etherton HR, he rates ahead of Rickey Henderson, Yaz and Goose Goslin (whom James badly underrates), and behind only Ted Williams and Stan Musial, among all left fielders in MLB history. And I would put him in the HOF on his first year of eligibility, despite all these years of cheating.

Virtually everyone else I know would BAN him from the Hall. I think that's unfair, because just as the long-distance HR evidence nails him cold from mid-2000 on, it pretty well exonerates him before that, and he'd already had one hell of a career before the Etherton HR--one of the Top 20 ever.

I think everyone can see which of us is striving to be fair-minded and rational about this, despite his visceral feelings about Bonds, and which one of us is being irrational and gratuitously nasty, having gone out of his way to pick today's squabble on a thread that had nothing at all to do with this.

Oh, well. It's nice to know Bonds will have one person at his funeral. Too bad you're not an MLB person. Ty Cobb had three of those at his funeral, two of whom were Hall of Famers. I don't think Bonds will do as well.

B.H.N.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join