It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: hot stove league

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
here it is Super Bowl Sunday, with less than 2 weeks till pitchers and catchers report to spring training i thought it would be interesting to see how everyone feels their team did in the off season, what teams are moving up and who is headed down

Seattle Mariners

i think that the Mariners will be a better team than the last 2 miserable seasons but not by much, the addition of Kenji Johjima, a gold glove catcher from japan will hopefully solidify a position that was a huge black hole for the M's last year, Jarrod Washburn should give us some quality starts and bring a bit of maturity to a woeful starting pitching staff. Carl Everett will be the new DH and should add some power to the lineup.....the M's farm system was once thought to be strong with quality pitchers who were ready to be plugged into the starting lineup but that proved to be not the case, i think that if Seattle has a .500 season they will consider it a success.....another frustrating rebuilding season for fans in the northwest

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Chicago Cubs

The Cubs made a very important move in the offseason. They got a good lead-off hitter, which should translate to more runs. With no consistancy in front of him D. Lee had a stellar season. Adding CF Juan Pierre to the mix should help his and the teams production. The Cubs have announced they will start a 22 year old SS, Ronny Cedeno. Cedeno hit .300 in 80 at bats in 2005. At second base there is going to be a battle. All three guys have been regular starters for the Cubs at some point. Todd Walker, Jerry Hairston and Neifi Perez will all be vying for that spot. My early favorite is Perez and his defense. It will come as no suprise but Aramis Ramirez will start at 3B and Derrek Lee will be at the other corner. Matt Murtoner, another young player with some promise will play LF. In 140 at bats he hit 7 homers and batted .321. In right Jacque Jones will hopefully provide some more power somewhere in the line-up.

Now for the biggest questionmark in the last few years for the Cubs. What is going to happen with the rotation? If history repeats itself we can count on having no idea what the answer to that question is. Right now we know this, Carlos Zambrano, Mark Prior, Greg Maddux, Glendon Rusch and Jerome Williams are ready to go and make up the rotation. As I said we can count on that changing. If for no other reason being the fan I am, I want to hope Kerry Wood will return to the rotation. Kerry is starting his throwing exercises, but will take it slow hoping to be ready to pitch soon. The Cubs have not laid out a time frame for his return and are uncertain where he will make his return. (could and probably will be in the minor leagues)

We all know Zambrano and Prior can bring it. Prior's health has also been an issue but he is healthy right now.(knock, knock, knock) Zambrano is very fun to watch and is overly emotional. Greg Maddux keeps getting older and more wylie. His fast ball tops out at 85 but it also moves 8.5 inches. LOL. Rusch has had quality outings but him and Williams are definately #4 and #5.

All in all, I think we have a real opportunity to make an impact. (but I always say that, I am a blind, die hard fan) Honestly, if the rotation can get/stay healthy we will see what can happen. We haven't really seen a healthy rotation, the last time we did the Cubs came within 2 outs of the WS.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Sorry, typo on the Cubs' LF's name it is Matt Murton. I don't know where the er came from.

iaclonz

join