It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: I Had No Idea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I HAD NO IDEA HOW GOOD VINCE YOUNG WAS. No idea at all.

The only time I'd ever seen him from start to finish before, as lame as this will appear, was in his sad performance against A&M. As those of you who saw that game might guess, I was unimpressed.

Color me reformed. MY GOD. I can't really compare him to Flutie, so I can't really call him the best "roll-out" QB I've ever seen. And in the same way, it's hard to call him--or Flutie, after what I saw tonight--"the best combination runner/passer I've ever seen." Young's feet aren't nearly as impressive as Flutie's; but if Flutie had tried the stuff that Young does, Flutie would have gotten killed.

Obviously no way to compare them, even though both were 1/2 passer and 1/2 rusher. And I'm saying "both were" because I suspect Vince Young may have ended his collegiate career. What do y'all think?

Anyway, I had NO IDEA Young could do what I saw him do tonight. It was like every time somebody big hit him, you knew he would be down after only 5 more yards. W.T.F.? Reminds me of Steve Young making DB's regret tackling him.

I have seen a lot of QB's try and play that kind of game in college. I have never seen one anywhere near that good, except for maybe Byron Leftwich at Marshall, and that was not exactly the same as playing U.S.C. for all the marbles and having to bring your team from 2 scores down late in the game.

Is anyone else as shocked at his greatness as I am? And for those of you who are a lot more informed than I was, and who expected him to be nearly this great... what do you think about the likelihood of his going pro this year?

B.H.N.

P.S. For anyone who's wondering, NO. I decided at the last minute NOT to make the call and NOT to bet several thousand on the game. I'd have been sweating something fierce half-way through the fourth, but oh how happy I'd be right now.

P.P.S. And did y'all catch Leinhart's remark after the game? "We're better than they are, but they won." He may be correct, but how's that for a spoiled brat showing his classlessness?

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Three Updates:

(1) THE BIG ONE: ESPN.com reports numerous sources, including several close to Young, are saying that based on who has the top 5 or 10 picks this year, he will probably RETURN--yes, you Texas fans and Young worshippers (count me in) read that right--for his senior year. Unlike all but one of his previous regular season games, I promise to watch every second of him that I can next year.

(2) LEE CORSO ON VINCE YOUNG'S PERFORMANCE: I don't know what y'all think of Lee Corso. I think he knows a greaat deal about football, as a result of his many years of coaching, but I find him irritating as a person. Anyway, after the game, the ESPN anchor asked Corso what he thought of Young's performance tonight. For those who haven't heard the exact numbers, Young threw for 267 yards and ran for 200 more, almost invariably running over the first, if not first and second, linebackers who hit him. It left you wondering if your screen was screwed up and the guy was really 6'11" and 410 lbs. This is what Corso said: "This was THE BEST performance I have ever seen by a QB." The anchor, realizing Corso has seen many thousands of college FB games, said "THE BEST?!" Corso said, "Well, THE BEST of anywhere near this magnitude." That's a hell of a statement, but I can't even think of what college QB's performance comes close. Bernie Kosar in the 1984 Orange Bowl? It was great passing-wise, but nothing at all like 467 yards of total offense. If any of y'all are in Texas and see an "I love Vince Young" T-shirt, could you buy a XXL or XXXL one for me? I guarantee you won't get stiffed.

(3) I've told everyone about Leinhart's classless remark in the immediate aftermath of the crushing disappointment. To be fair: ESPN later reported Leinhart and Bush went to the Texas locker room to shake hands with the Texas players. That took class, considering what a huge, brutal loss it was.

B.H.N.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I am young but that was easily the most dominating performance I have ever seen. Like you said, not many people got their hands on him but even those that did couldn't make the play. I could see it in his eyes after the Leinart to Dwayne Jarret TD pass. I don't know if anyone else saw it but I mean he looked hyped and poised and ready to make some plays. I also thought Leinart's remarks following the game were rather classless. He may have made up for some of it by visiting Texas' locker room but, that is a comment I'm sure he would take back if he could. I can't wait to see any of the three of these guys (Bush, Leinart, Young) at the next level. Leinart may translate to a better NFL QB just because of his pocket passing abilities, but Young is a playmaker bottom line and that is dangerous at any level. Bush never ceases to amaze me and he could also make quite the impact in the NFL. He is so explosive and versitile WOW.

join