It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Johnny Damon signs with Yankees

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
i also hate steinbrenner. i hate the yankees and i wish that i could experience what i have only read about or seen documentaries about. that would be when players played for salaries no where near as inflated as they are today, they played for a team and the fans of that team. that is what every baseball fan wants to see but times have changed.
take gas prices, a person who lived through the 60's and 70's probably will gripe and say that gas prices are outragous now and want it to return to day of old. this is not possible and we have no choice but to pay the 2+ dollars per gallonl. but this is totally different you and i have a choice if we dont believe in the way that baseball is being run we have the option to not watch. we have the option to not buy paraphernilia of our favorite team. this is the way baseball is now.
any person in any profession has a goal, and that is to be the most successful they can possibly be. sure damon has made a lot of money in his career. but his expenses are probably HUGE. when you have money you spend it. you have an enormous home with enormous property taxes, ect. and if you have visions of maintaining that lifestyle you need to maximize your income.
i wish it were different but it is not and i enjoy baseball for the game no for the overpaid babies.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
So, in other words, if you'd already made $49,500,000 in your career, through 2005 (actual figure), and the Red Sox who'd made you a cultural icon were offering you $40,000,000 more for four years--for a staggering total of $89,500,000, not even counting god knows how many endorsements--you would turn that down to get another $12,000,000?

First of all, you'll be an also-ran in Yankee Stadium, behind guys like Jeter and A-Rod. And you'll get the hell booed out of you if you don't deliver. Even if that doesn't happen, you'll lose a bunch in endorsements, though probably not $12,000,000, so let's split the difference and say the signing costs you $6,000,000. You have a chance to make $89,500,000 total, if you continue playing for the Red Sox, plus whatever you get for endorsements. Does that extra $6,000,000 really matter to you?

If it does, you are a very different person than I am. I say that without judgment, because unlike preposterous remarks justifying Barry Bonds' literally incredible feats, this is not something I am qualified to make judgments on. But it's a broad difference.

Baseball History Nut

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I guess to concede a point I will say that you are correct. The extra $6,000,000 is a drop in the bucket. The amount of money Damon has made in his career is crazy, as it is with many. When I was saying his expenses were higher and therefor he needs to maintain the highest level of income possible it was simply speculation. As you can see I provided no figures and even though B.H.N was able to, the more important figures for this discussion are ones only Damon and his accountant see.
Money has not been the only reason cited as ones that would factor into my decision. Sure Damon will not be a superstar in NY but honestly he wasn't in Boston either until he made himself look like Jesus. If I'm in baseball looking to win another World title, I like my chances in four years with the Yankees. IMO he did what he thought best and I will not place judgement because in his position I don't know how I would react.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
oringinally posted by PatsCeltzSox

If I'm already sitting pretty and my option is to go to a team that can't win the championship, but has to BUY it, then sure, if I sold my soul to the devil and don't give a crap about my afterlife, then, yes, I would take the dumptruck load and run.

The championship is the World Series. The World Series is the world title for Major League Baseball. (PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL) It is a business and that is the goal, to form the best team and WIN. I HATE the Yankees and Steinbrenner but he has the money to spend. He spends the money to achieve the goal I spoke of. Free agency sux, not havng a salary cap sux, and my team not achieving the goal since 1908 sux.
I love baseball, I hate some of it's policies but IMO its tolerable because baseball IS Americas game.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join