It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Johnny Damon signs with Yankees

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
What a pathetic sight. Mr "I'm an idiot" wins the heart of a region and then the second he hears the cha-ching of a bigger cash register, he performs open heart surgery on the region and leaves them dead on the table. This is the problem I have with professional sports. They all get overpaid and very few have enough loyalty to stay in the region where they have spent their career. Why can't this local faves just realize that they are practically idolized where they are playing and take the pay cut to stay? Let's see: Local notariety and being loved by many, or join Baseball's version of Wal-Mart and be hated by a lot more than you are loved by? Tough choice.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatzCeltzSox
Let's see: Local notariety and being loved by many, or join Baseball's version of Wal-Mart and be hated by a lot more than you are loved by? Tough choice.

LOL, I love your analogy!

It's not about loyalty anymore, so why should fans be loyal?? But, we're idiots enough (At least I speak for myself here) to be loyal to the teams that we grew up idolizing, while we get idiotic owners (that means you, Mr. Snyder) who destroy the team, coaches who get dumped at the drop of a hat, and athletes who search for the biggest cash register.

It's almost enough to make you not want to follow sports anymore.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I exactly agree with you on that one,Gibbs Baby!!!.Also great little post up there to PatzCeltzSox

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
i dont know what any of you do for a living but if someone were to offer me job security and a healthy raise which my current employer was not offering i would have to make the smart decision. the smart decision in this case was to take the offer from the yankees. damon was a vital part of bringing a championship to the red sox. he put everything he had into playing for the sox. it is too bad that free agency is doing what it is doing......

in the world today though loyalty is nowhere near as important to people as money is. forget sports but in the business world people make decisions based on what is going to be best for them and their family. damon got a huge contract and is going to be part of the a great team giving him an opportunity to win another world title. he was qouted as saying that the decision brought mixed emotions. give the guy a break and ask yourself a question. What would you do in his shoes? and dont give me any of that loyalty bull**** because i wont buy it.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The really funny part about this whole thing is: I am not even a big baseball fan....Living in NH, I follow the Red Sox, and the only reason I have really done that is to talk about it with my brother-in-law, friends, and colleagues at work. So I know 2 things: Love the Red Sox, HATE the Yankees...

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Yeah, this is one that hurts my heart. I think Damon's a bit overrated, personally, because I wasn't that impressed with his play when he was here in Nor Cal and played for the A's. But this was a guy I thought stood for a few things. And playing for the Evil Empire, a team owned by a petty, spiteful, malicious little mountebank who inherited all his wealth--and doesn't have a redeeming quality that I've ever noticed--well, Johnny, this is one thing I thought no amount of money would get you to do.

Reminds me of the old joke. Incredibly rich Texan pulls up to an incredibly beautiful young woman and, from the back seat of his chauffeur-driven Rolls Royce, says, "'Scuse me, ma'am. Would y'all spend the night with me for ten million dollars?" In nothing flat, the woman replies, "Ten million dollars?!?!?! Well, of course!!!"

The fabulously rich old Texan then says, "How 'bout for ten dollars?" The bombshell indignantly answers, "Of course not!!! What kind of woman do you think I am?!?"

Says the old man, who did NOT inherit his money, "Oh, we've already established that. Now we're just haggling over a price."

I guess they found yours, Johnny. But if I'd had anywhere near the amount of money you already had, I don't believe I'd have sold my soul for any amount, least of all when your loyal team with its loving fans was still willing to pay plenty.

This really IS the kind of thing that has made so many fans lose interest in the game that was, when I was a child in the late '50's and early '60's, the unquestioned king of American sports. And as someone who just lives, eats and breathes baseball at times, Johnny, wh0res like you really get to me.

B.H.N.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
i can understand that. im a cubs fan and if sammy would have gone to the cardinals i would have been a lot more upset than i am.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
iaclonz,
Put myself in Johnny Damon's shoes: Hot wife, house that has been featured on cribs, one World Championship Ring, helped break curse. The team that I broke "the curse" from basically pulls a dumptruck full of cash to my house and says "Forget Boston. Leave the local comradry behind. Come play with us." If I'm already sitting pretty and my option is to go to a team that can't win the championship, but has to BUY it, then sure, if I sold my soul to the devil and don't give a crap about my afterlife, then, yes, I would take the dumptruck load and run.
BUT, I hold loyalty above cashflow. Here's how I prove that "bull****":
I currently work for big telecom company and have for the past 5+ years. I have sat here for the past 34 years watching people left and right get laid off and worry about their jobs, and I currently watch so many people around me talk about how the company is gonna fall soon, and how much the place sucks. I could give up like everyone else and seriously look for a job. But I don't. Why? Loyalty. I have worked hard and put myself in a position where I am needed, and learn just about anything new that comes down the pike. I know people here that are training just to update their resumes. I update it so I can support and know more things within the company. Loyalty.
If I was playing for a local sports team, and knew how much I meant to a franchise AND was sitting on a mound o' money as is, I wouldn't leave. That's just me though.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
professional athletes normally have very high living expenses and must maintain that level even after their careers. just because a player already has a lot of money doesnt mean they dont need to take the best offer both from a financial stand point but wanting to win comes into play also.
boston is a mess right now and i wouldn't want to play there either.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Pro Athletes have very high living expenses because they created that situation. I think what every pro athlete needs to do before signing a huge contract is live like a bum for a month. That way, when they see 8 million for 4 years, to run, kick, hit, tackle, dribble, shoot, pass, whatever, they will have a feeling for what it's like to be the dregs of society and possibly give some back or at least bank it, so if in year 4 of the contract the knee goes out, they have more to show for it than a repossessed house, 7 BMWs, an alimony settlement and their mom's basement!

Boston is a mess. But if nobody wanted to play for a team that's a mess, then even the elite would be mediocre

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
regardless of why their living expenses are high they are and that means they have to do what is best for them and their loved ones. i agree with you that they are overpaid but we are the ones that contribute to the very revenue that pays them.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well, now all I hope is that the Yankees still fall miserably on their collective faces. Talk about a team that could take teamwork lessons from the Patriots!!
Jeez

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
PUH-LEEZ.

A guy who's made $45,189,000 already, in an overrated career, and that's not counting advertising endorsements? Now he needs to make a zillion more, instead of a jillion more? Adam Smith might have liked that argument, nearly 2 centuries ago, and I'm sure Ayn Rand would have loved it, but not me.

The dude is set for life, no matter what sane thing he and his family want to do. For Chrissakes, he has a career OBP of .353, which is mediocre at any position except pitcher and maybe catcher, and is pretty much lousy for a leadoff hitter. He has a .431 career slugging average, and considering the bandbox he's played in for the past four years, that's all you need to know about his "power." He has a career walk-to-strikeout ratio of 598 to 704, which is execrable for a leadoff hitter and unforgivable for a non-HR hitter.

Basically, he has one big attribute--a truly great stolen base percentage since going to Boston--and that's about IT.

As a fielder, he has average range, but well above average fielding percentage--a stat which casual fans grossly overrate with outfielders, since it only saves one or two errors per year, and is nowhere near as important as his offensive stats.

So what we're talking about is a guy with cr@ppy slugging figures, absymal on-base figures for a lead-off hitter, and great stolen base percentages since he came to Boston (83%, 83%, 70% and 94%). His Runs Created per 27 Outs--a major stat--are very mediocre.

In other words, this is a guy whose main value has been as a TEAM LEADER. No, he's not a joke and fraud of a player, but anyone who ever tries comparing him to great leadoff hitters needs a muzzle. And now, he wh*res himself to Steinbrenner for a huge payday when he already had more money than he and his family could ever have needed, and when the Sox were going to give him another slightly-less-huge pile of money.

Some frickin' team leader. Do you think he'll be perceived as a leader by any but the dumbest of players on the Yankees? Do you think Jeter and A-Rod will cede their roles on their team to this quisling?!

I hope he goes into a prolonged slump at the start of the year. Then he'll find out what "not worth any amount of money" means.

B.H.N.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
ia, this is one where I think you seriously need your head examined. Why should we feel compelled to think that Pro Athletes need to maintain that lifestyle? That is just absolutly ludicris, like the speed on Spaceballs! And you support that line of thinkning? What kind of work are you in? I am basically a burecrat, and make a comfortable living. I in no way sympathize with these outlandish contracts that are given to the players. What would they have done 50 years ago, when the guys were getting paid closer to what the average Joe made?

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It's official: He has become assimilated. Just saw a report on local news website showing that he passed his physical and immediately brought over to some SALON to have a shave and a haircut to comply with the code of Steinbrenner...

BHN, You are just hoping for a slump? I was hoping for like career-ending injury(nothing major or painful, just enough to keep him out o' baseball) or something so the Yanks have to pay AND they don't even get to use him.....

Damon was also quoted as saying he could only dream of being part of the powerhouse hitting rotation. NIce that the "dream" is for tons of extra cash..

What a dirtbag...Damon officially makes me sick...

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
when Damon returns to fenway Park this year and for the rest of his career he will know what it feels like to be hated by millions, he will be booed and jeered as mercilessly as Arod still is in Seattle, i would like to see Varitek feed him some leather like he did to Arod 2 years ago, Jason would be a hero in my book

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
"He could only dream of being part of the powerhouse hitting rotation?"

!?!?

#*&@#!$@#

He actually said that???

If you look at the career slugging percentage list, and you eliminate guys who haven't played/didn't play at least 10 full seasons (Hank Greenberg, Albert Pujols, Todd Helton), and guys who obviously cheated and had impossible rebirths after age 35 where they turned into the second Babe Ruth (Barry Bonds), do you know how many you have ahead of Manny Ramirez, with his .599 career slugging average?

How's this? Babe Ruth, .690. [Enormous gap.] Ted Williams, .634. Lou Gehrig, .632. Jimmie Foxx, .609. And that's IT.

And most Red Sox fans will tell you that for the past two years, Manny has not even been the best hitter on the team.

Oh, and Johnny? Your Red Sox led the A.L. in runs scored last year. Now, I'm not going to bother to research what other stats Boston led the A.L. in, and what stats the Yankees led the A.L. in, because guess what? When the game ends, they only look at one stat: runs scored. And you guys led the league.

And oh, yeah, you led the league in 2004, too. And in 2003.

So basically, Johnny, you're not only a whore, you're a disingenuous one spewing out a bunch of bull to try and justify the way you've whored yourself.

You know, REAL streetwalkers are at least honest about themselves. They call themselves "ho's," their patrons "tricks" or "dates," and don't try to pretend they're anything but what they are. You're a high-priced one, but spare us all the pretensions, the transparently false excuses and everything else. You are now a Hessian in the Evil Empire. If you're not ashamed of that, then take your money and be prepared to face the music in Fenway, cuz brother, it's gonna be loud. But in the meantime, if these rationalizations are the best you can do.... STFU.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
BHN,
I LOVE your posts...

I loved the whole last paragraph about streetwalkers at least being up front about what they are..

The exact wording is:
He said being part of their powerful lineup was something he could only dream about.

So I was close....

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
okay guys as i already said i dont agree with the amount of money any of these athletes make. i dont really think it was the coolest thing to do on damon's part. but i cant really complain about it because i fequently enjoy professional sporting events on tv, i like to where clothing bearing the logo of my favorite teams, and i like to talk about sports. i mean you cant say you are against killing wildlife yet wear a fur coat.
i suppose none of you would feel the same if maybe your child, spouse or yourself were in the position to make that kind of money.
finally maybe some of you have heard the saying "dont hate the player, hate the game" thats just it. dont hate damon for simply making the same decision that most of us would make. he took advantage of an opportunity given to him by the one you guys should really hate. and that man just so happens to be a vital part of making the game the way it is today.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
No. That man is a cancer on the game. And before he was that, he was a convicted felon who had illegally funneled money to, of all people, Richard Nixon. Daddy's money, of course, because the little punk has had that 24K spoon in his mouth for his whole life.

And I most certainly would NOT have made that decision. Damon had already made over $49,000,000 in his career, not counting commercials. He needs MORE? And Boston was going to give him, oh, 100 tons more. He needs 110 tons more? That counts for more than being an (overrated) idol?

He's a whore, and guys like him ENABLE a cancerous mountebank like Steinbrenner to poison this great game that was, as I said, once unquestionably recognized as America's game--a game that drew ALL the great athletes, because it was where all the popularity and money was, not football or hoops.

In her famous antiwar anthem, "Universal Soldier," Buffy Sainte-Marie said of the Universal Soldier, "But without him how would Hitler have condemned them at Dachau? Without him Caesar would have stood alone. He's the one who gives his body as a weapon of the war, and without him all this killing can't go on."

I'm obviously not going to suggest that Steinbrenner, as horrible an excuse for a human as he is, should be compared to Hitler. But if zillionaires like Damon, and all the others already hired in mid-career for hugs sums by "The Boss," would tell Steinbrenner that they're not going to take his fortunes because they're not going to swallow his s---, that team would collapse and die. Isn't that a wonderful thought?

So yeah, if some young player who's "only" made 4.5 million in the majors gets that kind of offer from Steinbrenner, I can see why he has to take it. Damon? Or, for that matter, A-Rod? Or Jeter? Or Sheffield? Or a whole lot of others on that team who'd already made zillions before coming there? Whores.

And Damon for the reasons lots of us have stated, is the biggest quisling of the bunch. Reminds me of the Stones in the mid-60's, pretending to be bad boys and revolutionaries, while driving Rolls Royces and racking up huge fortunes, basically spitting in the faces of their fans, who believed they stood for something.

That's you, Johnny. And you suck. And now we all know it, and we're never gonna let you forget it.

B.H.N.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join