It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Astros cut Clemens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
the Houston Astros decided decline salary arbitration to Roger Clemens effectivly cutting him loose from the team, Clemens has not decided wether to pitch again next year or retire. we may have seen the last of the rocket, one of the games all time greats

sports.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AuGxU7MMTw8gX3wE0TUrnfo5nYcB?slug=ap-astros-clemens&prov=ap&type=lgns

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I have said this here before, but I want to say it again:

In my fairly educated opinion, Roger Clemens is the greatest right-handed pitcher of all time, pending the completion of Pedro Martinez' career. Martinez is far ahead of Clemens on an inning-for-inning basis, but I think their overall stats will favor Clemens when all is said and done. And I don't think any other right-handed pitcher--Tom Seaver, Greg Maddux, Juan Marichal, Jim Palmer, Robin Roberts, Walter Johnson, Bob Gibson, Phil Niekro, Cy Young, Mike Mussina, etc.--can match Clemens when all is said, done and evaluated.

Pedro MAY eventually, and appeared headed that way for sure five years ago, but I think it unlikely now. I don't know who else is a realistic candidate among current pitchers. SEVEN E.R.A. titles, which is otherworldly unless you're the otherworldly Lefty Grove, the game's greatest pitcher. A ton of Cy Youngs. More wins than any Live Ball Era (i.e., real) pitcher except the timeless Warren Spahn.

I hope I haven't seen him for the last time. I hope he can win another 33 games, so he passes everyone except Young and Johnson. Hell, while I'm dreaming, I hope he wins two more E.R.A. titles and ties Grove, albeit in many more seasons and in some less unfavorable parks. And yeah, I know he's a Texan.
I couldn't care less, nor could I care what his political views are like. I admire the hell out of him as a pitcher and guy who covers his teammates in all kinds of ways.

There I go being politically incorrect again. If I get run out of Northern California, is one of y'all ready to take me in?

B.H.N.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
It was announced today that Boston has contacted Roger and he was pleased to hear from them. Possibly some action on this front. Manny for Tejada, then sign Roger. Go Bo Sox!

join