It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Philly Chicago trade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The philadelphia phillies have traded first baseman Jim Thome and cash to the Chicago White Sox for center fielder Aaron Rowand and two prospects

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I just dont' understand why they had to supply the cash. Thome is still a great player, don't you think?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
you would be surprised but most phillie fans are glad about the trade, Howard can hit just like Thome

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I also am a Phillies fan (in the S/E PA area), and would say that the reactions to this trade are mixed - but on the balance, positive. A few points -

Jim Thome has consistently been well-liked here, and except when he was injured, consistently performed. His production and attitude will be missed - no denying that.

Ryan Howard was a great surprise last year, and will continue to be a dominant force - I think eventually moving up a slot in the lineup, giving additional "protection" to Bobby Abreu.

Now let's look at the other half of the trade - not yet mentioned on this thread - Aaron Rowand. This is a HUGE windfall for the Phillies, and I am very happy about it. We have needed a steady CF for several years, and while several have had their moments (or a limited, but useful set of "tools"), none has emerged/ survived. In a hugely important position on the field, Rowand is more than we could have dreamed for. I hope he is here for the rest of his career.

"Why did Philly have to give cash?" I am not expert in this area, but I think part of the difficulty in "shopping" a player like Jim Thome - huge proven resume, but very costly and not young in MLB terms - is the burden that is assumed in the salary department. So I think this was in part compensation to Chicago for this component. In effect, the trade spreads the salary liability that comes with Thome over both teams.

So in my opinion, it is a "win" for the Phils - in three ways (Howard, Rowand, and financial). Thome will surely be missed. HEY INDIANS FANS - are you getting any sleep?? THE BIG GUY just landed back in YOUR division, playing for your #1 rival! He is good for 8-10 dingers against Cleveland alone, I figure. Hehe

[But what will the ChiSox do with THEIR first-base logjam? Ahhhh... the beauty/fun of the hot-stove league... and subject for another thread, perhaps.]

3BCE

[Edited on 12/1/05 by 3BCoachExtraordinaire]

[Edited on 12/1/05 by 3BCoachExtraordinaire]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
... about this trade, and people's reactions to it: the quick and decisive start of our new GM (Gillick), completing the blockbuster deal, is seen as a huge positive.

Now if only we could have kept Billy Wagner, and kept him out of a division rival's bullpen. Too bad - he is a great competitor. But based on the first big deal, Philly fans are optimistic. I am ALSO optimistic that maybe one of the "kids" can step up into a closer role - my favorite is Aaron Fultz. (Again - fodder for another thread/day/lunchbreak.)

Happy Thursday to all Sportzfanz, and especially, true baseball fans.

new topics

top topics

join