It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: The death of NFL HOF'er Frank Gatski

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Dear TOEJAM,

You're the dude who posts the breaking news stories here. I see on the "news stories" page that we peons can do it, too, but I'm not sure of the proper procedure. So I'll do my best....

I just now saw on ESPN.com that a Hall of Fame NFL center, the Cleveland Browns' great blocker Frank Gatski, who played in 10 consecutive championship games for them, died of congestive heart failure near his home at the age of 83. He was center to the immortal Otto Graham, and by his career's end was a linemate of both Lou Groza and Mike McCormack.

When the Browns failed to make it to the Championship Game in 1956, Gatski went to the Detroit Lions, who in 1957 promptly went to the championship game and slaughtered the Browns, 59-14. Gatski played in that year's Pro Bowl, then retired. He joined the Hall of Fame in the same year as Namath, Rozelle, Staubach and a USC Heisman winner who wore #32.

Those of you who are older than me and have followed football like I've followed baseball undoubtedly regard this guy as one of the all-time greats. Perhaps two of you can start a debate about whether he's the greatest center ever. But it certainly sounds like he was ONE OF the all-time greatest centers.

My respects to his survivors.

B.H.N.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
i must admit that i have never heard of Mr Gatski but he sure played on some great teams with some great players

by the way BHN....you did fine with your post....jump right in and post any breaking news or threads that strike your fancy

[Edited on 11/24/2005 by toejam]

new topics

join