It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: why the best umps are not in the world series

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
according to this article the umpireing game is a highly political one, the claim is that the umpire supervisor Frank Pulli rewards his friends with the plum assignments

this is sad if it is true but it would go a long way towards explaining some of the calls we have seen in the post season this year

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
It's a start, but you should open a companion thread titled something like, "Why the worst umps are in the post season." This is my 47th post season as a rabid fan (yup, I began with the Chisox in the 1959 Series, which is a longshot). Denkinger still holds the record for the most catastrophic Series call, although if Herzog had been awake and had put Pete LaCock (or ANYONE) at 1B in place of Dick Stuart's iron-glove rival, Jack Clark, Balboni's foul pop would've been caught and Denkinger might've been saved....

Anyway, this is by far the worst post-season umpiring I've ever seen, and it's ruined my favorite sporting event of the year for me. I don't really care now if Oswalt throws a shutout in Game 3 and the umps make 10 atrocious calls in Houston's favor to even it in Game 4.

The whole thing's been a farce. And Joe West, the worst umpire I personally have ever seen (including Eric Gregg), would be the home plate ump for Game 7, if there is one. How apt.

Baseball History Nut

new topics

join