It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Importance of Managers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I havn't seen a thrread like this so I will give it a try.

What does everyone think of the importance of Managers? Are they really good or is it the players? I can only think of one instance off the top of my head that a manager really decided the outcome of a game. That was Boston vs. Yankees when Pedro should have been pulled out. In all reality a catcher can make that call.

And the teaching aspect. You can't teach god given talent. For the most part especially in professional either a player has it or he doesn't. A pro can help fine tune himself by more repetitions. He can do that without a coach.

I would like to give a manager the benefit of the doubt. But it is hard. Maybe Eric Wedge played an important role of keeping the Indians focused after a horrible start...I really don't know. I see the manager being a babysitter who we can all point the finger at when there is a loss. He can't control whether a player is swinging the bat well or pitching the ball well. He just has a really good seat to watch it. GM's are FAR more important to a team than managers.

Here is an example how a team could do it without a manager:

Boston

Varitek of course the player manager. He decides when a pitcher is done. Who ever is on the bench can keep pitch count and call the bullpen when Varitek tells them to. It doesn't take a genious to figure hey there is a lefty up next so I will pitch him a lefty. Also, it doesn't take a genious to figure a lineup. You know who is your speed and who is your power before the season starts. ( Example: the hardest decision this year for Boston...WHO IS GOING TO BAT 4th??? Ortiz or Ramirez). Who cares, they will both smash the ball.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I think only a few managers make a difference....Bobby Cox, Tony LaRussa, and Lou Piniella....in sports like Football and Basketball coaches make a huge difference.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
In a way... I think Managers are a bit overrated. But despite this, I still think Managers are necessary. While you say Varitek could make pitching decisions and such, who do you think would make the better decision? Varitek or a manager whos only job is to make these decisions.

new topics

join