It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Origins of the Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Many people speculate as to who is the true father of baseball. Some people (including myself), believe that Alexander Carthright invented the game. Other speculate that it was actually Abner Doubleday who created the game of baseball. What do you think?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
It's hard to tell.. there were reports of games VERY similar to baseball back when George Washington was a general. Baseball developed from this, so you may be correct when speaking of modernized baseball.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Would you agree with me that the whole "Abner Doubleday" thing is a myth, because I certainly believe it is. Baseball's Hall of Fame is in Cooperstown, where it is believed that Abner Doubleday invented the game, though is no actual proof of Doubleday even being to Cooperstown. Baseball's first game was played at the elysian fields in Hoboken. The teams were the Knickerbockers (managed by Alexander Carthright) and the New York Baseball Club. The real Hall of Fame should be in Hoboken, and it was Alexander Carthright who REALLY invented the game.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
when they were in the middle of making ot HOF in 1936-1939 cartright's grandson told everybody that his grandpa invented baseball but it was too late

new topics

top topics

join