It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: A Quick Steroids Rant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Ok... After posting on boards on MySpace, it has come to me that people are making any player that has a good season a "Juicer". They say anyone that big HAS to be a juicer. My Uncle was a body builder. Bigger than any of these guys in baseball. He even won Mr. North Carolina a long time ago. Did he use Steroids? No. His work Ethic was unbelievable.

I don't have a problem with people blasting players that have tested posotive, for they have reason to. But when people want to accuse people such as Bonds or Pujols, and now recently Andruw Jones... That is when it makes me mad. Here is a post I made on MySpace about people bashing Bonds:

First off... the Steroids Issue needs to be dropped until he's proven guilty. Hell, when he's proven guilty... I'll join in the Bashing (Not really). But when he's proven guilty... bash his ass all you want... but he'll still be one of my fav players like Palmeiro is to some others. Bonds hitting 73 HR's isn't necessarily due to Steroids. Roger Maris and Ruth both hit 60 w/ out steroids. A young man, which I can assure 99% of you have never heard of, by the name Of Joshua Gibson hit as many as 84 HR's in a single season, playing in the Negro Leagues in Parks like the Polo Grounds where CF was 500+ feet. Also, I think his name was Grenwell... anyways, he holds the HR record for the Minor Leagues with 75. He was not on steroids. These guys hit monstrous totals in ages where Steroids weren't even used. So please drop it until it is proven.

I want to here your thought. I want to see if your views are like mine. Whether it's a, "You're an Idiot" or you're own perspective. Let's here it. And if you call him a "juicer", then please back up your claim with facts. I have done so, though I could have gone more in depth. I showed how other people, before Steroids were around, put up monster Home Run totals. If you respect my thoughts, I will thoroughly respect any

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
OK, you're an idiot.

That may just be the leftover Captain Morgan speaking in me, though.

I see your piont, innocent until proven guilty. But, Look at the pictures. Bonds gained an incrdible amount of mass over the years, and it seems the bulk of that was in his noggin. That is a telltale sign of steroid use.

Will he ever pop positive on a test? Not likely, as he may never play again, an dif he does, he's gonna have at least a year for his system to flush out anything that may be in his system. So that is very unlikely.

The only one who knows the absolute truth is Barry himself. And personally, I don't trust the guy.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I agree with you that he will probably never test posotive. And I too, do not trust him in saying that he never took steroids. He admitted to takinh Creatine years ago, so there's no telling what other thngs he used. I just think it's wrong for people to bash him, when they do not know for sure he took them. I mean, it's gotten to the point where anyon that has a good season, has been accused of being on Steroids. I'm starting to hear a lot of accusations that Andruw Jones took them. Which makes me even madder being a Braves Fan.

My uncle was a bodybuilder in NC, adn was bigger than any of these baseball players. He NEVER used Steroids. They were not available to anyone where he lived. He had won the Mr. North Carolina completely clean. His work ethic was unbelievable. You had to see it to believe it. That's why I don't really see that deep into a players bulking up over during the off-seasons.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Steroids have ruined baseball forever, like what giantsfan is saying everyone that has a good year is being accused of steroid use, and that is just a horrible thing, I loved rafael Palmeiro because of him being a quiet guy that worked his way to the top, but then you see that he used steriods, i have no sympathy for him or any other steroid users, they are trying to taint americas pastime!!

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Steroids is overblown imo. They have been around for awhile. MLB encouraged them by turning their heads on them. Why? Because fans were coming out more for the extra offense (hrs). Everyone looked away till Congress stepped in. Now you have a few scapegoats. There's no proof how much roids have helped anybody. After all, Ryan Franklin, Alex Sanchez, Marvin Benard, Benito Santiago, Randy Veladre, known roid users, have not improved, in fact they may have regressed. BB has cheated forever. It's in it's nature. Ruth was found to have a corked bat. Gaylord Perry threw a spitter. Aaron. Maris, and many greats took greenies (uppers), (amphetamines), which MLB still refuses to ban. Face it. BB has cheated, and continues. Palmeiro is a scapegoat, but many have cheated.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
During baseball games and baseball talk shows all of the announcers and analysts have been saying we can't take away the steroid using players all-time records because you can't go back an decipher which home runs were hit with steroids and which ones weren't. Well these guys broke one of the biggest rules and should be banned because of it. Joe Jackson and Pete Rose aren't in the Hall of Fame for things that are not as serious as steroids. I agree with Frank Robinson in saying that the steroids using players should have all of their records banished from the Major Leagues.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnosSlaughter
During baseball games and baseball talk shows all of the announcers and analysts have been saying we can't take away the steroid using players all-time records because you can't go back an decipher which home runs were hit with steroids and which ones weren't. Well these guys broke one of the biggest rules and should be banned because of it. Joe Jackson and Pete Rose aren't in the Hall of Fame for things that are not as serious as steroids. I agree with Frank Robinson in saying that the steroids using players should have all of their records banished from the Major Leagues.

One of the biggest rules? MLB didn't ban them until a few years back. And MLB turned it's head on them until last year. If you ban any roid users records, you need to ban corkers (Ruth), spitters (Perry), drugs (greenies) Aaron, Maris, and tons others. MLB uses uppers as we speak.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Throwing bb games (Jackson), and betting on them (Rose), is tons worse then taking a drug (roids). Not even a comparision.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
"Throwing bb games (Jackson), and betting on them (Rose), is tons worse then taking a drug (roids). Not even a comparision."

I agree with your comparison to the records with Gaylord Perry and the others. Thank you for giving me a better perspective. But do you really think betting on sports(never against his own team) is worse then using drugs to unfairly give yourself an unfair advantage? I think the betting issue is mostly an "out of baseball" thing. Well maybe it's a good idea to penalize Rose by not letting him coach again, I still believe he should be in the Hall of Fame for his accomplishments "on the field." If you have any other ideas please comment back!

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

"Throwing bb games (Jackson), and betting on them (Rose), is tons worse then taking a drug (roids). Not even a comparision."

I agree with your comparison to the records with Gaylord Perry and the others. Thank you for giving me a better perspective. But do you really think betting on sports(never against his own team) is worse then using drugs to unfairly give yourself an unfair advantage? I think the betting issue is mostly an "out of baseball" thing. Well maybe it's a good idea to penalize Rose by not letting him coach again, I still believe he should be in the Hall of Fame for his accomplishments "on the field." If you have any other ideas please comment back!

Yes, betting is bb biggest no no. Go into any clubhouse, and it's posted on the wall. Rose bet on bb while managing. He could adjust his pitchers, hitters , on his bet that night. He could use his team to help his bet. Betting puts the integrity of every game on the line. Fans won't come for that. Many players have taken roids like i mentioned. What unfair advantage has Ryan Franklin had? He flat out stinks. There's no proof on how much roids help a bb player hit or pitch. With all this roids talk, mlb is on pace to break their attendance records. The fans aren't too upset over roids.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
From past research in Health classes and such, A lot of players in the old days used a drug called Speed. This was their equivelent of Steroids. And I disagree with banning anyone from the HOF. From playing or coaching yes, but not the hall. The Hall of Fame is exactly that... a Hall of Famous baseball players. The best players in history should be allowed in, no matter what they did. Ty Cobb is in and he killed a guy. They should be banned from playing and coaching, but NOT from the Hall of Fame.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan
From past research in Health classes and such, A lot of players in the old days used a drug called Speed. This was their equivelent of Steroids.

It still happens today. MLB refuses to test for greenies (amphetamies), which are uppers (speed).

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   

I don't have a problem with people blasting players that have tested posotive, for they have reason to. But when people want to accuse people such as Bonds or Pujols, and now recently Andruw Jones... That is when it makes me mad. Here is a post I made on MySpace about people bashing Bonds:

I thought it was an addmitted fact that Bonds took steriods but he didn't know. He was never tested. Baseball I feel gave Bonds a second chance, using his injury as a cover to get clean. Anyways didn't Bonds have a similar surgery last year and was back within a couple of weeks. He doesn't have the Juice Now to quickly recover.

Throwing bb games (Jackson), and betting on them (Rose), is tons worse then taking a drug (roids). Not even a comparision.

It is hard to say that Jackson threw the game...He took money no doubt but he batted .375 with 6 RBI and 3 doubles. Those are pretty good stats for throwing a game. Imagine what he would have done If he would have played hard.

Anyways Betting on a pro sport or trying to throw a game I believe yes is the worst thing. But this steriods crap is nearly just as bad. These guys are taking an Drug that is Illegal for ANYONE to take. And with the attendance records and stuff I hate 12-10 baseball games. I used to be a pitcher and like to see the games 1-0 or 2-1. It hurts my fantasy team but I like to watch the pitchers duel.

The fans aren't too upset over roids.

Yes they are...Why does Palmero wear ear plugs in batting practice now? And he gets boooooooooooooooed big time. People understand and they aren't going to let a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck...Bonds is guilty as all get out, he should be banned and his stats erased, just like all the other roid users past, present, and in the future

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
i agree toejam.....back to the joe jackson thing he hit 375, didn't make an error and hit the only Home Run out of both teams in the whole World Series and Eddie Collins who was supposedly trying his hardest hit in the low 200's. I wouldn't blame those players who wanted the money either, Charley Comsikey promised them bonuses that he didn't give them. The players back then really needed the money to survive and feed and clothe their families because of greedy owners.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I just read the first couple posts but GiantsFan is both both right and wrong in my opinion.

I agree it should be innocent until proven guilty but the fact is that there are so many drugs/techniques that improve play that they are impossible to test for with the simplest of drug tests and there are even some types of steroids that cannot be found in any test. There is no way to know for sure, but i think that any time someone gains muscle mass in a short period of time they are probably using something more than just good old-fashioned weight lifting

[Edited on 9/6/05 by 777kckbxr]

new topics

top topics

join