It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

government tracking our computers?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Speaking as another IT insider (like William), no. They don't have the resources or manpower to do that.

And furthermore, there's little here of interest to them (as I keep saying.) The "news" we post here is old to them; they got the intelligence reports on NASA tech long before we did because they're directing the development of that tech.

Are they interested in rehashes of conspiracy websites? No. They'd look at the original source. They'd monitor some of the white supremecist sites, but only the very high profile ones.

One or two might come here for links, but they'd be more likely to want to investigate the people on the Janes subscription list than to monitor us.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysteriousbob
Well, they can very well track our computers....but I doubt they are.

As previously mentioned, they are deffinatly tracking people more often than not. The only thing you need to worry about is whether or not you got enough protection on your comp. I got 3 firewalls and I run BlackIce Defender...i'm safe for now!
3 Firewalls!? I've never heard of that before! I've only got one I purchased, not including the one that comes with my Windows XP.

Why would you need so much protection?

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sftprez
i was just wondering about all of your opinions about whether or not the government keeps track of all of our computer files, the ats message board and emails, and all of the other things on our computers. In my opinion, I think they are almost definitely watching our computers, because with the internet, it is so easy to track other people's computers, as i have heard because people are constantly doing it.

So what do you all think??...
I think that the government only tracks certain people who they consider worthy of their time, whether they are criminals, or people that they need to get intelligence from.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   

As previously mentioned, they are deffinatly tracking people more often than not. The only thing you need to worry about is whether or not you got enough protection on your comp. I got 3 firewalls and I run BlackIce Defender...i'm safe for now!

no you're not

your confidence is sickening,

dont give me that crap on how "black ice defender" kickz ass....please

i run windows 2000, 3 firewalls, and i still get cookies' accessed...you see, complete privacy is virtually impossible today, unless you are able to invent new IP technology(ie: an ip address entering the web with smthng like 659.338.451.965) an ip configuration superceeding the 255.255.255.255 barrier would ultimately raise some eyebrows, no doubt

and you are not likely to be tracked, since most programs do not allow you to enter the randomly wrong digit, therefore, you'd leave a virtually mind-boggled gvrnmnt agent dumbstruck and powerless.

as for a mac address(if you're using your network card instead of a usb for broadband then you're in luck).
there are tricks with mac addresses, some1 is bound to get blamed once the illegal ip address is triangulated and the location is traced....but how the hell does' one prove it was you, if you are able to change your mac address to any other imagineable before actually going through with whatever the hell you wanna do... your mac address is likely to be found immediately after the IP,(firewalls are only claimed to secure a mac address, but in fact, it is relatively easy to send packets to the card itself forcing it to send this information...this is built into every card, even realteks!!) you are likely to be tracked by mac address since it is a much more reliable source of information, since IP addresses have a high chance of being dynamic(or so it seems).
this information is for educational purposes only, i hold no responsibility WHATSOEVER for it's misuse.
Cyrus

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL

3 Firewalls!? I've never heard of that before! I've only got one I purchased, not including the one that comes with my Windows XP.

Why would you need so much protection?

haha i dont think i even have one fire wall.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
For cryin' out freakin' loud! Do you really think they have the horsepower to do that? They can't even keep track of federal spending, and they are the morons doing the spending!

Hehe good point

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
With all the spyware I am constantly deleting from my hard drive, is it not possible that some spyware may be activated upon certian key searches? If the FBI is keeping tabs on certian library books, I don't think having an activating spyware is that far off...

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Interesting though

I have heard that if you got your hands on an origional Anarchists Cookbook that you were recorded on a log with the FBI.(taking that you had bought it from a store or something) so I think your thoughts about library and keywords are very possible

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sftprez
i was just wondering about all of your opinions about whether or not the government keeps track of all of our computer files, the ats message board and emails, and all of the other things on our computers. In my opinion, I think they are almost definitely watching our computers, because with the internet, it is so easy to track other people's computers, as i have heard because people are constantly doing it.

So what do you all think??...

Of course I believe that they are watching us.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
For cryin' out freakin' loud! Do you really think they have the horsepower to do that? They can't even keep track of federal spending, and they are the morons doing the spending!

hahahah thats so true...and damn hilarious!

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:50 AM
link   
1. Firewalls don't "block" cookies. You have the option to allow cookie or not, in most browsers.

2. IP changes often (unless you have a static one) but you're MAC address stays the same.

3. Having 3 firewalls doesn't mean you're more protected than just one well-configured firewall.

4. They're probably not even "out to get you".

5. Relax people.

Edit: 6. That thang in windows XP is BY NO MEAN to be considered as a firewall. It's just check for incoming connection and it plain suck.

[Edited on 3-12-2003 by m0rbid]

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Too paranoid,Yes they probably can track computers & certainly track whom they please.But really,are we that important to warrant their attention]These agencies are fighting terrorism on a global scale.Unfortunatly one little guy pulling his plum in da bedroom ain't going to get that much attention.(unless you be a terrorist)

But yes i think THEY'RE capable of tracking your every move.

Slan
Robbie

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bazza
Yes they probably can track computers & certainly track whom they please...
Unfortunatly one little guy... ain't going to get that much attention

Hope you forgive my editing your speecg here... just taking a few words to add to your thought:

Wether or not they use spyware to determine where we go with our internet connections, or track our reading habits at the library... someone is tracking us. Just turn off your pop-up stoppers, and witness the effects; the government (or corporations) don't need to track us; we notify them about our activities! Hell, a couple months back on ATS there was a thread which, when you went there, would show you where you have been. You can even go to (I think it is called) Microsuck, an anti- Microsoft web site, which will tell you, and show you, where there are hidden files on your hard drives which Microsoft keeps track of.

Everything we do, everything we purchase is tracked. Why do you think we get so many "consumer specific" catalogs in the mail? Even if you purchase something with cash, most of the time the cashier lady will ask for your zip code so they can "update their mailings".

Grocery stores keep tabs on our eating habits as well... does anyone have on of those automatic coupon cards? For department stores, do you have a discount card for them as well? No matter where we go, or what we do, we are setting off some kind of tracking measure (marketing or other-wise).

Why is it so hard to believe the government isn't doing the same? I don't care if ISP servers change daily, or they don't "have the time or resources" for such a large scale event (even though department stores seem to have a hold on things). The use of keywords and spyware are doing the work for them; they don't need to actively search everybody's system. We hit an illegal site, inquire too much or too deeply into sensitive areas, and we will raise flags. THAT is when they will start to follow our proceedings.

It isn't even restricted to the computer. Does anyone remember the big push to get computers and internet into every home, every school? Why? Has anyone noticed a similiar trend with cell phones? I am not saying the government is tracing all our calls... especially since speech is as individual as there are people, it would be rather hard to make sense of all the conversations. But the cell phone companies are tracking us, if at the least, by our locations.

Maybe there is something here. Maybe the government isn't keeping tabs on us. From everything I've stated, it seems more likely that big business and corporations are the ones that we have to be worried about. That's why I don't use credit cards (even for hotels... talk about a pain in the ass when they "need" major credit card), I don't have a cell phone, and I don't shop with discount cards (unlike the thread Walmart is Evil, or whatever, I happen to like that store).

But then again, if all these businesses are doing the tracking, then couldn't it be feasible that the government is utilizing that information? Or at least, when it gets to the point where we get flagged?

Somewhere, somehow... someone is keeping tabs... on... oh, crap, hold on... someone's knocking at the door...

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
hahahahahaha
well I agree with you on a lot of things. And I do agree that voices would be very hard to trace over the phone.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 08:53 AM
link   
cool... somebody understood my last line! And here I was afraid no one would catch it...

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
They do not care who knows, and they will track people.Tracking devices are so small now, and are hard to find if you do not know where they are.
While in Hawaii, and very recently this was, on a two- year contract in Telecom, I worked for a company that was based in Alaska with a branch in Hawaii, and we had the contract for the digital upgrade for Honolulu Police Dept and the upgrade for University of Hawaiis' interisland video project(they hold live class on all the islands, from Oahu via live transmission). Right after I arrived to Oahu, our warehouse was broken into, and several server computers were stolen, ones that were for the UH Project For the next year, I guess I was a suspect, I was constantly followed and surveilled by about 5 different parties in different vehicles,at any given time. And let me tell you, they wo'nt be confronted. I tried. When it gets to the point that they are holding large manilla document envelopes over the side of their head so you ca'nt see them as they constantly drive by your home one kinda tends to get tired of it.
But I never even was interviewed. I had dsl and cell, my phone was one of those nextel phones that did it all.
wierd things happened on these all the time. They had their capabilities extending into my home...Imagine you are at home, sitting on the couch after a long day at work. I got up, went to the john, and relieved myself, came out, and set back down on the couch. Imagine my surprise when then I saw myself , on tv, going through the motions I just mentioned. It was like an image from a FLIR system, in monochrome, let me tell you, I flipped when this happened. I guess they screwed up and kicked the image back to me.
After a year of this, I had enough. I went back to Alaska. Almost a million people on Oahu, and about twice as many cars.It did not follow me here. Even though an FAA employee, who was very stone faced, sat next to me in first class as I returned.
As we took of out of Oahu and we were banking back around, I flipped a bird to that island through the window I was sitting next to.
I have tracking devise if anyone wants to analyize u2u me.
They can do whatever they want....

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 05:45 PM
link   
im sure if you want yo kill a tracking device stick in in the microvave for awhile

I would think if it was a none govermental anegnsy following you, you could go to the fbi for some help

unless there into it too

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I got 3 firewalls and I run BlackIce Defender...i'm safe for now!

I also have three firewalls. One that came with my OS, one that came with my sbc yahoo dsl, and blackice. I haven't got an attack in a while. the thing I love about blackice is that it gives me their IP's...*evil laugh*

*edit- ive been thinking all this time I have three. But,I just realised my OS didn't come with one. so,mark me down as two.

[Edited on 12-11-2003 by theshadowknows]

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:09 PM
link   
my outpost gives me atleast 3 IP's a day when im not playing anygames

when im playing games i get a few more prou8bly just fals alarms

but anyway

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
What do you think all that defense money is spent on?
400 billion a year is gotta be hard to spend.

And then there is the issue of the 3 trillion recently found missing from the Pentagon.

They are most assuredly spying on us.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join