It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Mark Mcgwire's Hall Future In Doubt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Let's say Jose Canseco's accusations of shooting steroids in a bathroom stall with McGwire and Jason Giambi while they were teammates in Oakland aren't simply the rantings of a baseball outcast who is trying to sell books. Let's say more credible information emerges before McGwire becomes eligible for Cooperstown in 2007, indicating that he indeed used illegal performance-enhancing drugs. Chances are, we'll never know the truth about which players used, nor the influence drugs had on their performance. But McGwire will be the first prominent slugger under suspicion to draw consideration from voting members of the Baseball Writers Association of America.

LINK....

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
will it really surprise anyone to hear that Mac used 'roids?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
i wouldnt be surprised at all

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
You know, When I looked at McGwires stats, I saw he weighed a little over 260 pounds. Just curious to see what other "Steroid" suspects weighed, I found nearly all weighed in the upper 200's. I wqas surprised, however, to find Bonds weighs just under 210. If McGwire made the hall of Fame, I wouldn't really care.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
There's no doubt in my mind that he's guilty, but thats just my opinion.

Look at the pics, they look like two entirely different people.

McGwire as a rookie in '87.......

smr

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Where do you get ' a little over 260' ?
At most he was 250,and when he started in the majors,he was 225.
He gained 25lbs.
I gained 25lbs in 6 months,guess I did roids without knowing it

Big Mac is fat.Look at images with his shirt off.
Baroids is all cut up and has vains popping out his arms.

In a statement to 60 Minutes, McGwire said: "Once and for all, I did not use steroids nor any illegal substance. I feel sorry to see someone turn to such drastic measures to accomplish a personal agenda at the expense of so many. The relationship that these allegations portray couldn't be further from the truth. Most concerning to me is the negative effect that sensationalizing steroids will have on impressionable youngsters who dream of one day becoming professional athletes."

49 home runs rookie year
4 straight seasons with 50+

Everybody is suspect I guess today.If you hit home runs,you must be on the juice

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Anyone can add 25 pounds, just become a regular at an Old Country Buffet. Do you have ANY idea how long it would take someone to put on 25 pounds of MUSCLE naturally?

And Big Mac is not fat, I have seen pics of him with no shirt. If it's not at least surprsing to you that his forearms are now bigger than his thighs were when he was a rookie, I dont know what to tell you.

And just because he is denying it, doesn't mean he's innocent.

We're all entitled to our opinion and based on what I've seen and read, I dont believe him.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
What was that stuff he was using a few years ago, it was legal, and then it wasn't? Don't you think that makes him suspect, he was using *some* substance, legal or not, he was looking for artificial help...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
he has admitted he used "andro" a food supplement that was leagal at the time and since has been taken off the market

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The players need to understand that, though strength can help, Hitting the long ball does not need the assistance of steroids. I found that in order to hit the long ball, you need just good timing and a quick bat speed. I just turned 16 and I can hit the ball about 380 or so... and I'm fairly weak upper body. It's all about technique. As for McGwire he is not fat, he is very muscular. And I had a little typo on my last post, I meant 250, not 260. I've heard some talk about Luis Gonzalez too. Though he too is very muscular, on TV he seems really thin. They just had a poll on ESPN a day or two ago asking if the steroids stuff will cause you to lose interest in baseball. If I remember right, I was 1 of the 58 percent that said no.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I've never been much of a baseball fan, and every time I try to get into it, it seems something like this happens. So I'd be part of the other 42 percent, GiantsFan...

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Although I strongly believe steroids is cheating, GiantsFan brings up a good point. You can do all the 'roids you want and get as big and strong as you want, but they wont help your hand-eye coordination or ability to hit a 90 mph pitch.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
McGwire as well as Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmiero and other potential hall famers that Canseco named still will make the Hall of Fame, even if his accusastions are true. Techniquely, steroids were legal in the late 80's and early 90's, with no written rule in baseball banning them. However, that would not be the main reason why they would make the Hall. Back in the early days of baseball, its was not illegal for pitchers to throw spit balls, shine balls, ect. Eventually, a ban for these pitches went into effect, but that didn't mean the pitchers who threw them were banned from the hall, let alone have an asterisk next to their name

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeddyBallGame9
Techniquely, steroids were legal in the late 80's and early 90's, with no written rule in baseball banning them.

This argument I still dont understand, I've heard others bring this up before. Steroids have always been illegal in the "real world" so I would assume that goes for baseball players as well. Steroids back then were about as legal as heroin, not at all. Just because they didn't name steroids as illegal in baseball, being just plain illegal in society is enough. It's no different than coc aine or crack, if our government says it's illegal then baseball doesn't have to specify every single illegal drug out there. Baseball players are people too and should abide by the same set of laws that we do.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Although I said they will make the Hall of Fame, that dosen't mean i felt they should be in the Hall of Fame. In my personal opinion, they shouldn't if Canseco's accusastions are true. It is true that no person should be exempted from the law, no matter who they are. I was just stating how the Hall of Fame electors may look at it. Maybe they will take the other stand, saying it was illegal and because if this, McGwire and the Injectin' crew will not be elected to the Hall of Fame.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Problem is they can't really prove Mcgwire took roids or anything else at all. Unless they have concrete evidence or proof then they have to do there job without being baised as to what they personally think and let him in the hall of fame.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I couldn't agree more -

McGwire, on the other hand, is who I want to see answer tough questions. He admitted to taking various legal supplements while he played the game, but made a quick exit out of the limelight in 2001 when the heat began to come down. During the 1998 season, a few sportswriters suspected he might be the perfect target for a steroid probe, but it never got any further than just speculation because he wouldn’t let anyone get close to him.

source

MSNBC

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Let's see what you McGwire "defenders" think about this.

Probe links McGwire to steroids in '90s

ESPN.com news services

Five days before the House Government Reform Committee is scheduled to question current and former major-league baseball players about steroids, one of the subpoened players, Mark McGwire, has emerged as a prominent figure of a month-long investigation by the New York Daily News.

Citing FBI sources, the newspaper reported that McGwire's name came up several times in a landmark anabolic steroids investigation that led to 70 convictions in the early 1990s.

While evidence against McGwire was never collected and he was not a target in the investigation, two steroid dealers caught in the probe told the Daily News that another dealer provided McGwire and Jose Canseco, among others, with illegal anabolic steroids.

According to one of the informants, who the FBI said provided credible information throughout its probe, McGwire's regimen reportedly included injecting himself in the buttocks once every three days with two testosterone substances and weekly with another.

sports.espn.go.com...

Now I'm all for innocent until proven guilty, but this sure makes my presumptions that much stronger.

[Edited on 3-12-2005 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
if the newest allegations of mark's steroid use are proven to be correct i doubt if he will be given any serious consideration for the hall, in fact if it were up to me his name would not even be considered for a vote

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
if the newest allegations of mark's steroid use are proven to be correct i doubt if he will be given any serious consideration for the hall, in fact if it were up to me his name would not even be considered for a vote

Here, here!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join