It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Enough with the LIES in baseball !!! Time for fan BOYCOTT??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
From Scott Miller, CBSSportsline.com

How stupid are you?

No, really. How stupid? A lot? A little?

Baseball players seem to think we're pretty stupid.

Jason Giambi

He thought he could balloon up like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float without you suspecting anything other than good, old-fashioned weights. Then he thought he could waltz into camp last spring skinny as a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model and you wouldn't notice a thing. Said he only lost four pounds. Didn't know what the big deal was.

Only problem is, this was after he apparently told the BALCO grand jury last December that he inhaled Vitamin S like Vitamin C during cold-and-flu season.

Barry Bonds

He inflated like Popeye after hundreds of cans of spinach. Yet he denied taking steroids, told the grand jury that he used a cream he thought was for arthritis, and then issued more public denials. I don't know about you, but if I was outgrowing my shirts at the rate of four times a year, and if I was rubbing mysterious cream into my "arthritis" spots, I might start asking questions of my trainer.

Gary Sheffield

Gary Sheffield denied any BALCO connection, then flip-flopped and admitted to Sports Illustrated that he used "the cream" (but didn't know what it was).

Sammy Sosa

Sammy Sosa says he left Wrigley Field early, but after the seventh inning, on the final day of the season -- when a Cubs' security camera in the players' parking lot shows that Sosa actually left 15 minutes after the first pitch.

Pete Rose

He comes clean and admits he bet on baseball in a book published last January. Too late! His lies were out at room temperature for so long they were overrun with mold. His belated admission didn't prove he's turned his life around. It proved he's been Pinocchio with an undersized nose for the past 15 years.

For some of these guys -- not all, let's make that clear right now -- entitlement became their constitutional right at an early age. "I love this game" should be replaced as a marketing slogan by "I'm getting mine."

In that it only involved bailing on his teammates, Sosa's season-ending fib might not be such a big deal to the rest of us except ... it was difficult to tell which shrinkage was more significant last season, that of his body or his statistics.

And what about that corked bat incident two summers ago? Sosa says he was never a steroid user and that he only had one corked bat, and it was simply to put on a show for fans during batting practice.

With his Escape From Wrigley lie exposed, anybody care to lay odds on whether Sosa told the truth when confronted with accusations of his juiced body and juiced bats?

www.sportsline.com...

:angry-smiley-034:

What has happened to America's pasttime? I looked up to these guys as a kid growing up who loved baseball and if I had kids now I sure as heck would make sure they didn't follow in the footsteps of these new baseball cronies. Does baseball have any integrity left???

The article is a good read if you get the chance.

[Edited on 12-8-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

TRD

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Excellent PA....

I did read it and i do agree, but where does baseball head now?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I am absolutely disgusted with MLB, the players, the management, just about everyone except the hotdog vendors (they are a different rant, sure i like shelling out 3 paychecks for a hotdog). Some of these guys use the excuse (Mark McGuire comes to mind) that these things they use were'nt banned by MLB, but last time i checked steroids were illegal period, why would they be ok for baseball players to use. MLB's problems are only getting worse under the direction of Bud Selig and there are going to get much worse before they get better. It's time for MLB to do mandatory weekly piss tests and forget about the 5 game suspensions start kicking guys out without pay. I don't care if they have to get rid of all the current players and field AA and AAA teams, i'd rather watch one of those than the current juiced up homerun derby's that the game has become.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
Some of these guys use the excuse (Mark McGuire comes to mind) that these things they use were'nt banned by MLB, but last time i checked steroids were illegal period, why would they be ok for baseball players to use.

I totally agree aegis, these guys think that they are in some find of fantasyland and think that they play under a whole different set of rules than those of us with real jobs. Like you say, they claim that since it wasn't banned by baseball at the time that they shouldn't be punished, but in the "real world" it's as illegal as coc aine. I also agree that the slap on the wrists need to stop and they need to start hitting these guys where it hurts them the most, their pocket.

You're right, Bud's got to go.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The time has come for a fan boycott.

DO NOT ATTEND OPENING DAY GAMES!

Spread the word far and wide.

We've got what, 4+ months? It can be done, if just for opening day.

Talk to all your friends. Call people. Post as many messages as possible on as many sites as possible. Just get the word out. A united front from the fans on opening day of the regular season will send a loud and clear message - straighten this thing out!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
i'm all with the boycott of opening day, and make it even better by going to a minor league game that is not affiliated with MLB, so no A, AA, or AAA games. consider me a warrior in the fight against MLB i've got my protest sign and some markers ready, i'm putting together a posse to picket in front of the Metro Dome on opening day (assuming they have a home game on opening day).

TRD

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Aegis make sure your right www.sportztawk on that banner...

Maybe change the title of this thread to ENOUGH of the LIES BOYCOTT OPENING DAY!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
i'm all with the boycott of opening day, and make it even better by going to a minor league game that is not affiliated with MLB, so no A, AA, or AAA games. consider me a warrior in the fight against MLB i've got my protest sign and some markers ready, i'm putting together a posse to picket in front of the Metro Dome on opening day (assuming they have a home game on opening day).

Alright, who else is in???

I made a quick list of alternative activities -

1. Host opening day parties where you don'twatch baseball.

2. Play football.

3. Spend some quality time with the family

3. Spend a weekend in Vegas.

There is time to pick up momenum on this, and make them notice!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Alright, who else is in???
There is time to pick up momenum on this, and make them notice!

Sounds good to me, where do you even start?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Well, we've started. Now, get all your friends to tell all thier friends, and keep the ball rolling.

I'm thinking of signing on other messge boards, just to spread the idea...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Your right guys, we have to make a stand, and this is where it starts here on sportztawk. We spread the word, and in the fine print or something say that sportztawk started it, there will be so much publicity for this site.

MLB players have done so many things and havent even gotten a slap on the wrist for the fact that they put fans in the seats, and sell those 3 paychecks worth of hotdogs, and beer.

TRD

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Maybe we can get someone to write an article for the news site about fans boycotting opening day and get it hit on google...

Hrmm TRD gets on the case!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Maybe we can get someone to write an article for the news site about fans boycotting opening day and get it hit on google...

Hrmm TRD gets on the case!

Excellent idea, then we can send that thread to everyone that we know...and other media outlets...and the ball continues to roll...

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Anyone making progress on the boycott?

I've told several people, usually most laugh, which is expected, but I honestly think that this could be accomplished.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I just think everyone is in football mode right now and not really thinking that much about baseball. Spring training doesn't even start for almost three months but I'll bet when it draws nearer there will be much more talk about the state of baseball. Most people dont even know what they're doing for New Years Eve, let alone the first of April.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   

TRD

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Anyone making progress on the boycott?

I've told several people, usually most laugh, which is expected, but I honestly think that this could be accomplished.

Yep Ben did an article on it today........

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
You guys on drugs or something?

I read in the paper that in Boston, they sold out almost their entire season already. You can bet that's going to happen with the other big market teams.

You can talk boycott all you want - It just ain't gonna happen. Sports are the new religion in the US and despite all of the really bad stuff, theres is plenty of good exciting stuff to see. And people will not "just say no" to baseball or football or the Olympics.

Don't get me wrong, in many respects steroids have done a number on the sports scene - especially on the high holy record books, but face it, there is nothing to be done but to adapt your way at looking at sports.

As I keep asking you idiots, what do you do when the creeps keep developing 'roids that are undetectable! Tell me?! What do you - what can you - do then? Let me answer for you: NOTHING!!!

Face up to it boys, the future is now.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MingMercil

As I keep asking you idiots, what do you do when the creeps keep developing 'roids that are undetectable!

If you cant make your point without insults, then maybe you should just keep your thoughts to yourself. We're not on drugs, we're not idiots, and your arrogance reeks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join