It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Will Jason Varitek return to Boston?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
GOD I FREEKIN HOPE SO! Not only has he been one of my absolute favorite players, i believe he is the support and base of the team that holds it together. He has been a member of the red sox for many years since coming over in 1997. He is a veteran player who unlike Trot Nixon has not been getting injured much in his position. Will this new guy the sox picked up replace Varitek? or just be a backup catcher? will Varitek Return to Boston?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I agree, Varitek is a great super solid player and a real leader on that team. But the Sox shouldn't break the bank for him and I do not think they will. Did you say they picked up another cather? I had not heard that. Some say Mirabelli has earned a shot to be the day to day catcher if Varitek prices himself out of the market. He put up some pretty good numbers in limited action. If Tek goes, the only good news is the Yanks alreaady have Posada, so he won't go there. By the way, Pudge Rodriguez was a steal for the Tigers. Take a look at his numbers - they are incredible. I don't understand why he didn't get a bigger contract than he did.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
mirabelli is good, but i don't think he's the vocal, switch-hitting, team leader that varitek is. varitek is worth at least as much money as pedro is, and tek is worth it, and i don't think pedro is. 40 mil over 3 years is already too much for pedro, but tek is worth every single penny. i LOVE mirabelli, but i gotta say that tek was pretty darn close to our mvp, and he has been for a number of years now. break the bank for him, he's worth it.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Actually, I agree that Mirabelli is no Varitek and may not be up to the task, although I wonder how he would do if given a shot. Everyone seems to say he is a great back-up catcher - did he get special training for that kind of role in the minors? - I do not see why he couldn't be any everyday guy. In any case, I truly believe that this new regime will not overpay for anyone: not Cabrera, not Pedro and not Varitek. My best guess is that in the end Tek will be signed by the Sox because I think that's where he wants to play. Epstein seems to be a blend of Belichek and MoneyBall guys - quality people at fair prices. Superstars, maybe but no more overpaid superstars. If you have to break the bank, let them walk. Interesting I haven't heard a peep from the Sox in resigining Lowe.

top topics

join