It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Yankee newspapers hit out!

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
"Hell Freezes Over" said the New York Daily News, which featured an image that must have been sickening for die-hard Yankee fans Red Sox pitcher Pedro Martinez celebrating on the field at Yankee Stadium.

Even the sports pages of the normally circumspect New York Times screamed: "Monumental Collapse".

"Damned Yankees" read the headline on the New York Post tabloid, showing dejected Yankees star Derek Jeter with his head bowed after the Red Sox's 10-3 win gave Boston the American League pennant.

Boosted by the pitching of Derek Lowe and two mammoth home runs by Johnny Damon, the Red Sox became the first team in major league baseball history to come back from three games down and win a seven-game playoff series.

The Post saved special rancour for Alex Rodriguez, the big-ticket third baseman bought by the Yankees in the off-season by paying $12 million more than the Red Sox to help make a run for the World Series.

It said "A-Rod" was "the symbol of the greatest Yankee failure ever" and that his previously solid play had "disappeared" in the series.

"So did (his) mystique and aura probably forever," the Post said.

As for $15m pitcher Kevin Brown, knocked out of the game in the second inning, the tabloid said: "The Yankees tried to save Brown from himself, but this isn't a guy worth saving."

The Daily News added: "With Brown, you never know if he's going to pitch or commit hara-kiri (suicide) out on the mound."

The New York Times said: "The Yankees (management) should stop the practise of assembling teams through the pipeline of ageing icons and insecure superstars, many of which are too old or too wealthy to alter their individual instincts."

[Edited on 21/10/04 by TRD]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
the east coast papers are vicious....this will give them fodder for weeks, the more lurid the headlines, the more sales, it is like buzzards picking over the roadkill....

Sir

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It's great when the so called BEST team fall and to get a right roasting by the press.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Keep those headlines rolling!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
i gotta say that i love it!!! way to be sox.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
i especially like it that they have singled out arod for abuse, from the penthouse to the outhouse....gotta love it

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
So, does anyone feel bad for Yankees fans?

I emailed and printed out some Sox symbols at work yesterday, I may have made some enemies...

new topics

top topics

join