It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Hurricane has Devil Rays stuck in flordia

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The Tampa Bay Devil Rays remained in Florida on Monday morning, just 3 1/2 hours before they were scheduled to play a doubleheader opener in New York against the Yankees.

The Devil Rays, whose Saturday and Sunday home games against Detroit were postponed by Hurricane Frances, were still on the ground, having difficulty flying out of Florida.

Devil Rays general manager Chuck LaMar said at 11:40 a.m. that the team, which arrived at Tropicana Field at 8 a.m., was still at the ballpark.

Monday's doubleheader originally was scheduled to start at 1 p.m., then was pushed back on Sunday to 3 p.m.

Katy Feeney, the vice president in the commissioner's office in charge of scheduling, said discussions on how to handle the situation were ongoing.

The Yankees had urged the Devil Rays to leave Florida on Friday night or Saturday, before the storm caused airports to close.

It was unclear whether a failure by Tampa Bay to arrive by the scheduled start time would cause Major League Baseball to declare one or both games forfeits.

"Let's get a grill," Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina said. "Hot dogs and burgers on the field."

The Yankees were scheduled to report to Yankee Stadium at noon for the doubleheader.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
since this is weather related, i don't believe it should be a forfeit. they could just play a night game today and do the double header tomorrow. I like the idea of grilling out on the field, make it an autograph day and invite the fans, at least get something positive out of this.

Ben

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
i would go if there was a big cook out:party-smiley-018:

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
no way it should be a forfeit...if they were meaningless games that would be one thing but with the pennant race in the east every game should be played....

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
The Yankees had urged the Devil Rays to leave Florida on Friday night or Saturday, before the storm caused airports to close.

When the weekend series was announced cancelled on Friday night, I wonder why they waited until Monday morning to leave for New York. Unless you live under a rock, you knew that weather was coming. I agree it shouldn't be a forfeit as it has playoff implications but a little common sense never hurt much.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
I agree it shouldn't be a forfeit as it has playoff implications but a little common sense never hurt much.

How often do you see that in sports?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
this has got to go as a break for the yankees, their pitching staff could use the rest they will get instead of being stretched in a twin bill today

Devil Rays, Yankees game delayed

As a result of the continuing difficulty of air travel from Florida, the doubleheader between the Yankees and Devil Rays previously scheduled to begin at 3:05 p.m. today at Yankee Stadium has been changed to a single game to begin at 7:00 p.m. this evening. The second game of the doubleheader will be rescheduled by the Commissioner's Office after further consultation with the two Clubs.
Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig commented as follows: "I appreciate the cooperation of the New York Yankees and their fans throughout these delays. This has been an extraordinarily difficult time for Florida, as Hurricane Frances stalled off the coast and played havoc with everyone's lives in that state for the entire weekend. Given the stage of the season we are in, and the exciting pennant races, it is critical that we do everything to decide the championship on the field, being fair to all teams involved

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

When the weekend series was announced cancelled on Friday night, I wonder why they waited until Monday morning to leave for New York. Unless you live under a rock, you knew that weather was coming. I agree it shouldn't be a forfeit as it has playoff implications but a little common sense never hurt much.

actually they played a game friday night, and by the time it was announced cancelled, the Tampa Airport was already closed down for the weekend, that's what i heard on the radio today anyway.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yankees ask for forfeit as Devil Rays fail to arrive on time

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
September 6, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Yankees asked the commissioner's office to award them a forfeit over Tampa Bay after the Devil Rays failed to arrive in time for the scheduled start Monday because of travel problems in Florida due to Hurricane Frances.

The doubleheader was changed to a single game and the start time, pushed back Sunday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., was reset for 7 p.m. The Devil Rays, who reported to Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg at 8 a.m., left the ballpark at 1:05 p.m., departed Tampa International Airport at 2:40 p.m., arrived at LaGuardia Airport at 5:25 p.m. and pulled up to Yankee Stadium in two buses at 6:05 p.m.

``The rule states that if your team is here and ready to play, and the other team isn't here and not ready to play, there should be a forfeit, and we believe there should be a forfeit,'' Yankees president Randy Levine said.

``There are no plans to reschedule any games until this issue is worked out,'' he said.

Levine said the commissioner's office had been told by the Devil Rays that Tampa Bay would head to New York late Friday or Saturday. Levine called for an investigation by baseball, and said that if the facts as the Yankees understood them were true, the game should be forfeited. Alternatively, Levine said the game should be rescheduled for Oct. 4 -- the day after the regular season is scheduled to end -- if it's necessary to decide a postseason race.

``Get everything down in print as you will. I have no comment.'' Tampa Bay owner Vince Naimoli said.

A forfeit didn't appear to be likely.

``Given the stage of the season we are in, and the exciting pennant races, it is critical that we do everything to decide the championship on the field,'' commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement.

Tampa Bay's home games against Detroit on Saturday and Sunday were postponed, and the Tigers returned home after Friday night's games.

``There were plenty of opportunities to get out of Tampa on Saturday. The airports were open until 3 or 4 o'clock.'' Levine said.

Devil Rays spokesman Rick Vaughn said the Devil Rays had never intended to leave before Monday.

``The only thing that entered our mind was being with our families during the hurricane,'' he said.

The Yankee Stadium gates opened at 11 a.m., and about 1,000 fans were in the stands on the sunny afternoon when an announcement was made at 12:45 p.m. that the doubleheader would not start on time.

``We had planned on being here all day anyway,'' Yankees captain Derek Jeter said. ``I don't see how we could play two games today now.''

Ray Zincone, a 29-year-old from West Warwick, R.I., drove down to New York on Monday morning with his wife, Sheila, and 7-year-old son, Raymond.

``I would like to stay if there's a chance to play,'' he said.

The Yankees reported to Yankee Stadium at noon for the doubleheader.

``Let's get a grill,'' Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina said. ``Hot dogs and burgers on the field.''

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I retract my statements as the team stated that they wouldn't leave Florida until the storm passed to ensure that their families were safe, 100% legitimate IMO.

top topics

join