It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: walker the chicken

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
the san francisco giants will sell rubber chickens to fans at their home games to protest the number of walks that barry bonds is getting this year...gotta beat the rally monkees

Rubber Chickens to Protest Bonds' Walks

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The San Francisco Giants are tired of all the walks Barry Bonds is drawing this season. The club will begin selling orange rubber chickens named "Walk'er" on Monday, when the Giants open a four-game series against division rival Los Angeles.

The chickens - described as "your average fowl" - will sell for $10, with proceeds going to the Giants Community Fund.

Their purpose? "To officially protest the number of intentional walks at SBC Park," the Giants said.

Entering Saturday's game against the Boston Red Sox, Bonds had drawn a major league-leading 94 walks in 57 games, 51 intentional.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Wait, this promotion sounds fowl.

TRD

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Whats the record for the number of walks in a season? Bonds has tons so far.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Bonds already has the record.

TRD

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
So what is it? Is it a current record for this season? Or he already holds it and could break his own record?

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
He had 198 walks in 2002, a MLB record.

With his 2 walks today, Barry now has 96 this season.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I want a chicken. Thats a great protest

TRD

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Phew thats alot so i guess he is on target to break that record again....

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The chicken says it all, they are scared #$%^& of him.

I would just throw the ball in there up high so he can't take it yard. None of that baby stuff of just giving him the base.

If I was coaching I'd start Barry on the bench and then when the bases are loaded and they have nowhere to put him, then I'd send him to pinch hit

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Picthers do what their coach tells them to do. So I wouldnt call the pitchers chicken.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Rubber chickens? They should be sold by people wearing suits of armor, to get that whole Monty python feel.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
Picthers do what their coach tells them to do. So I wouldnt call the pitchers chicken.

Yeah, there was another story where they wanted to get the fans to cluck when he was intntionally walked. Did that ever happen?

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
Rubber chickens? They should be sold by people wearing suits of armor, to get that whole Monty python feel.

Lmao, that'd be great!

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Bonds is now just 4 walks shy of the all-time MLB record held currently by Rickey Henderson.

He'll probably break it tonight, he's been averaging damn near 3 walks a game!

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
What is the record???

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sniper474
What is the record???

It's fitting that Barry Bonds' initials are "BB." His pursuit of Hank Aaron's all-time home run record has led to his stalking of another record -- Rickey Henderson's mark for bases on balls.

Entering Wednesday night, Bonds had 2,183 career walks, seven short of Henderson's record. At Bonds' recent pace, that put him about, oh, seven plate appearances from tying Henderson. On Tuesday night against Los Angeles, Bonds went 0-for-0 with four walks, including two intentional.

Deciding how to pitch Bonds is difficult. Pitch to him and he'll make history against you. Pitch around him and he'll make history against you. Bonds has become the most feared hitter since the 1880s, when Ernest Lawrence Thayer introduced a slugger named Casey.

www.dfw.com...

top topics

join