It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: unbeatable record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
this was posted on another bulletin board that i visit..i have been trying to confirm this for an hour now and i am unable to do it, i have found that mr taylor pitched 39 complete games for st louis in 1904...an incredible feat in itself

June 15, 1904
St. Louis pitcher Jack Taylor throws his 187th consecutive complete game in a 5-2 St. Louis win over the Giants at the Polo Grounds. In 1904 Mr. Taylor started 39 games and finished them all

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I'll say the record of two straight perfect games is the most unbeatable record in all of sports.

You need two to tie it, three to break it, that's impossible.

Don't ask me who did it because I forgot the man's name but it was back in the 20's/30's.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
johnny van demeer pitched back to back no hitters in 1938...i believe that is more attainable because todays pitchers seldom get a complete game at all anymore, 39 in a season is an incredible stat...but 187 in a row is out of sight

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I would have to say both are equally unbreakable, with today's hitters it's near impossible to get a no hitter, and with the way pitchers are taught how to pitch they can't make it through 9 innings anymore, how i would love to see one of the games you read about in the 20's where the pitcher, throws a 14 inning complete game, their pitch count would have to be up around 300, today's pitchers' arms couldn't take that.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
They didn't even count pitches back then, if you could lift your arm you'd better get back on the mound.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
They didn't even count pitches back then, if you could lift your arm you'd better get back on the mound.

Yeah and then be ready to do it in 3 days again. The pitchers of back in the day were like total machines. I suppose some pichers these days could do it, but they aren't trained to go for longevity, just power and lots of it

top topics

join