It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: mariners starting rotation broken up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
last years 15 game winner gil meche was sent down to the minors, in his latest outing he threw 73 pitches in the first 2 innings against the toronto blue jays, this breaks up the 5 man pitching rotation that has started every game since opening day 2003, the streak will end at 217 games.....replacing meche on the mariners roster will be none other than HIRAM BOCACHICA :bounce:

TRD

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Is he any good Toejam?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
hiram had a terrific spring and was having a good year in the minors, meche was the comeback player of the year last year and had a good season, he has lost it this year though....he has been knocked out of 4 games real early this year, has lost all his consistancy and putting a strain on the bullpen

TRD

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Hrmm right, i will look out for him see how he does. He must be pretty good to replace Meche.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
hiram is an outfielder, he is replacing raul ibanez who tweaked a hamstring this week, they called up another pitcher this week also, not a good year for the m's

TRD

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Duh!

Ok i will see how he does with the bat then lol!

Hey did you check the MLB rumors thread i'm sure there was something about the mariners today.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
that is just what the team needs, trading for a pitcher who has been out of the yankee lineup most of the year working on his mechanics, nothing would suprise me right now, the front office is taking a lot of heat for the way the team is playing and ticket sales are way down, they had the smallest crowd in the history of safeco field this past week, that is the way the message will get through

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Was the 218 games with the same rotation a legue record?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
i believe that last year with the same 5 pitchers atarting every game was an american league record if not a major league record will try and check it out a bit further

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
here is more info

The highlight of the Mariners' 2003 season was having the five-man starting rotation start and finish the season as a group. Right-handers Freddy Garcia, Joel Pineiro, Gil Meche and Ryan Franklin, along with left-hander Jamie Moyer, were the first five-some since the 1966 Dodgers to start all 162 regular-season games. Moyer, who in 2001 became the oldest pitcher in MLB history to reach the 20-win plateau for the first time his career, did it again in '03 and went one better. He finished the season with a 21-7 record and earned his first All-Star Game appearance. Meche landed the AL Comeback Player of the Year Award, becoming the first pitcher since Whitey Ford in 1954 to win at least 15 games after not winning any games the previous two seasons. Second baseman Bret Boone led the team in home runs (35) and RBIs (117). The Mariners led the AL West (134 days) longer than anyone in the division and won 93 games for the second consecutive season. But they couldn't hold off the Athletics and fell two games short of the AL Wild Card playoff berth. 2003 stats >

new topics

top topics

join