It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: today in baseball history...5/2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
» After carrying out the scorecard to the umpires, Lou Gehrig voluntarily benches himself "for the good of the team." He is batting .143 with one RBI. His consecutive-game string stops at 2,130. Babe Dahlgren, his replacement, has a homer and double, as the Yankees rout Detroit 22–2. New York bats around in three innings to make it easy for Red Ruffing. Ballyhooed Tiger teenager Fred Hutchinson makes his major league debut and the Yankees light him up for eight runs in 2/3 of an inning. Hutch gives up four hits and walks five.

» Des Moines (Western League) defeats Wichita 13–6 to open the first ballpark with permanently installed lights. The field is a predecessor of Sec Taylor Stadium. The Demons' victory was the first night game to be broadcast nationally

» Walter Johnson wins his 400th career game, a 4–3 victory over the A's. Slim Harriss is the loser

» The Cubs lefthander Hippo Vaughn and righthander Fred Toney of the Reds toe the mound in Chicago for a one-of-a-kind game. The Reds put up an all righthanded batting order, benching Edd Roush, who will lead the NL with a .341 BA. At the end of 9, both pitchers have no-hitters. With one out in the top of the 10th, Larry Kopf lines the first hit of the game. One out later, Hal Chase lines to Cy Williams, who drops the ball for an error. Chase then steals 2B, and with runners on 2B and 3B, Jim Thorpe hits a swinging bunt near the mound. Vaughn picks it up and, with no play at 1B, fires home, but C Art Wilson, not expecting the throw, freezes and the ball hits his chest protector. Kopf slides in for the only run. Toney sets the Cubs down in order and has the 4th 10-inning no-hitter to date. The run scored by the Reds is their first in 34 inning

» The Mariners rout the White Sox by a score of 15–4 as OF Mike Cameron becomes the 13th player in ML history to slug four home runs in a single game, all solo shots. Cameron is also hit by a pitch and flies out to deep right in a bid for a 5th homer. Cameron and 2B Bret Boone also become the first teammates in history to hit back–to–back home runs twice in the same inning, performing the feat in Seattle's 10–run 1st inning. The duo waste little time putting their names into the record book. After Ichiro Suzuki is hit by a pitch leading off, Boone homers. Cameron follows with a drive off Jon Rauch that barely cleared the center–field wall and a leaping Kenny Lofton. Two outs later, Boone again homers on the first pitch, this time off reliever Jim Parque. Cameron goes to a full count, then homers to center again. The Mariners also tie a team record with seven homers in the game. James Baldwin is the easy winner, with seven innings pitched. There had only been 39 previous occasions of a player hitting two home runs in an inning, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Eric Karros was last to do it, on August 22, 2000, for Los Angeles. Mark McGwire was the previous American League player to do it, on September 22, 1996, for Oakland

TRD

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Ahh i see you got the mariners in lol!

They got a few records in that game didn't they .

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
they sure did, they were bombing that day, was amazing to watch

TRD

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm sure i watched some of it, they showed the highlights of the game the folowing weekend in the UK.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
here is another one for today that i left off the original post, didn't want to over do the mariners

» In the 7th inning of the Mariners-Indians game, an earthquake rattles the Kingdome causing the umps to suspend the game. The quake registers 4.8 on the Richter scale. The Tribe leads 6–3 and the game will be completed tomorrow before the start of the Friday night game.

i am about 80 miles north of seattle and was watching the game on tv this nite, about a minute after the quake hit the kingdome it started shaking here, wasn't a big one but enough to get your attention

TRD

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hrmm i guess were lucky over here we don't really get them. I wouldn't like to be there when a big one hits.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
the biggest i have been through is a 6.5, they get your heart to beating thats for sure

TRD

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I bet...well rather you than me ..

Ben

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a quake in the middle of the game. i was younger when that happened i might have remembered that going on.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
it is a pretty famous piece of video now, see it quite a bit on the highlite shows

new topics

top topics

join