It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: MVP's did they deserve them?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
This year the MVP awards were to say the least a bit controversial,Bonds got the vote but Pujols had the edge on the stats with hits, average, RBI, extra base hits, and total bases.

Here is a few others to think over what do you think?

2002 AL - Miguel Tejada:
A-Rod hit 57 home runs, had 142 RBI, and slugged .632, but was beaten convincingly by Tejada, who had inferior numbers but played for a playoff team with a 20 game winning streak.

2000 NL - Jeff Kent:
Barry Bonds hit more home runs and had higher on-base and slugging averages, but the writers were persuaded by Kent's edges in batting average and RBI.

1999 AL - Ivan Rodriguez:
Pudge did hit .332 with 35 home runs and 25 stolen bases, but had only a .356 on-base percentage and grounded into 31 double plays! Pedro Martinez had an ERA (2.07) more than 3 runs BELOW league average, and went 23-4 with 313 strikeouts. Pedro actually got more 1st place votes, but finished second because two voters left him off their ballots entirely.

1998 NL - Sammy Sosa:
Sosa hit 66 home runs... and LOST the home run race to Mark McGwire. McGwire also had huge leads in on-base and slugging averages, and only mild deficits in runs and RBI.

1996 AL - Juan Gonzalez:
A-Rod had more hits, better batting and on-base averages, better fielding, more runs, and better speed, but lost this MVP to the slugger, who didn't do much except hit home runs (47).

1995 AL - Mo Vaughn:
I'm gonna be honest, I don't know how Mo Vaughn got this award over Albert Belle. Belle had better averages (batting, on-base, slugging), hit 50 doubles and 50 homers (1st time in history that I know of), and had the same amount of RBI as Vaughn (126). Vaughn DID finish for a division winner (Red Sox) but Belle played for a pennant winner (Indians).

1991 NL - Terry Pendleton:
Barry Bonds got on base much more often, hit more home runs, drove in 30 more runs, and stole 30 more bases.

Ben

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Well it doesnt matter really how much more runs, or home runs you score. It matter on how much you do for your time, and how much your teams needs you to be a great ball club.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Pujols was more important to his team in my mind.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Bonds was. The Giants had 1 person hit above .300: Barry Bonds. 1 person that hit at least 20 HR's: Barry Bonds. 1 person that had an OBP of at least .400: Barry Bonds. Pujols had Rolen (25+ HR), Edmonds (35+ HR). Barry Bonds had Jose Cruz (18 HR, .249 BA) and that WAS IT!!!!!!!!!

Barry Bonds = 2003 NL MVP

Ben

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
who was more important to there team though?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
who was more important to there team though?

BONDS...
.......obviously. Without Bonds, the Giants are 81-81

Ben

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
is he going to be playing next season?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yes he will be playing... I do believe this is his last year with the Giants because his contract will run out. When he hit the 73 home runs he said he wouldn't play past this, but recent reports from him say he would like to go DH in the AL. So this may be his last year with the giants, he may play one more season with them. And if he does DH, it better not be for the Yankees!!

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Bonds was the mvp in 03. Pujols had more hits, etc. because Bonds walks so much, limiting his abs. Bonds OPS was 1.278 to Pujols 1.106. Bonds OPS+ (park adjusted) was 231 to Pujols 189.

02 Tejada stole a mvp thanks to ESPN screaming he's the mvp. Arod/Thome/Giambi were better.

99 Jeter was probably mvp. Pudge was a bad choice.

98 McGwire should have won, not Sosa.
Mac 1.222 OPS
Sosa 1.024 OPS, not even close.

96 Arod should have won, but both Seattle writer's screwed him, plus a writer had him 6th.

95 Was a joke. Belle was easy mvp, one of worst votes in history. Writer's hated Belle.

91 Bonds was mvp.

You left of 01, where Ichiro stole one from Giambi, which is up there with 95, as one of the worst votes in history.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

1998 NL - Sammy Sosa:
Sosa hit 66 home runs... and LOST the home run race to Mark McGwire. McGwire also had huge leads in on-base and slugging averages, and only mild deficits in runs and RBI.

I agreed with this vote, because Sammy actually helped his team with his HR's. MVP is not just the player with the best stats, but the one that also helped his team.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan

Originally posted by TRD

1998 NL - Sammy Sosa:

I agreed with this vote, because Sammy actually helped his team with his HR's. MVP is not just the player with the best stats, but the one that also helped his team.

McGwire helped his team more.

Runs Created

McGwire 179
Sosa 157

That's 22 more runs created.

Cards scored 810 runs (179 created by McGwire) = 22.09%
Cubs scored 831 runs (157 created by Sosa) = 18.89%

Any way you look at it, Mac did more. People are penalizing Mac because Cards won 83 to Cubs 90.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Sosa was still more valuable, because he helped his team make a push for the playoffs. Had the Cards made a run or even made the playoffs, Big Mac woulda had the MVP, because then his stats would have actually meant something.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan
Sosa was still more valuable, because he helped his team make a push for the playoffs. Had the Cards made a run or even made the playoffs, Big Mac woulda had the MVP, because then his stats would have actually meant something.

They did mean something, the Cards won 83 games. The mvp criteria mentions nothing of standings or postseason. Why not change the award to the mvp of a (playoff team), because that's what you are doing.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I'm not explaining as thoroughly as I'd like. Once I get my new keyboard, I'll try and explain more clearly what I am trying say. It will take far to long to do it with this on screen keyboard.

new topics

top topics

join