It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Tigers in for Pudge?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A surprise team has emerged in aquiring Pudge Rodriguez.....The Detroit Tigers.

As interest in the free-agent catcher has waned, the Tigers are sensing an opportunity to snatch up the former MVP.
Several teams were interested in Rodriguez, but his asking price scared most into finding cheaper alternatives.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Well i would be surprised if they get him.

Ben

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
i would think that pudge would goto a competetive baseball team

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Ivan Rodriguez has been offered a $40 million, four-year contract by the Detroit Tigers, a baseball source told The Associated Press on Friday.

Ben

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
i guess he could help the young team out with his experience.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
he has a ring and would be a big help to the tigers

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I dont get it, players like Rodriguez do not need to be in Detroit and Detroit has no business signing him. If I was a Detroit fan I would be PISSED!!! Small market teams will never get the picture. You cant win with BATS. You need solid pitching and if Detroit was smart they wouldve offered Ponson or some other pitcher some cash. They couldve got two decent pitchers for that price which wouldve helped them out a helluva lot more than some aging injury prone catcher would do for them.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
God point...and there is still enough time for the tigers to go out and get Maddux

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
I dont get it, players like Rodriguez do not need to be in Detroit and Detroit has no business signing him. If I was a Detroit fan I would be PISSED!!! Small market teams will never get the picture. You cant win with BATS. You need solid pitching and if Detroit was smart they wouldve offered Ponson or some other pitcher some cash. They couldve got two decent pitchers for that price which wouldve helped them out a helluva lot more than some aging injury prone catcher would do for them.

I agree with your entire post other than your assessment of Pudge. Yes he's aging(arent we all
) and is injury-prone (played in 144 games last season, alot for a catcher), but he is still far and away the best catcher in baseball IMHO. Theres no one even close defensively, he completely shuts down the opponents running game. And he is still very potent at the plate, especially in the clutch, remember last year's playoffs?

Again though, I do agree they could use a pair of young pitchers.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
PA, I'm not saying he isnt a great player, he is definately one of the best if not the best catcher to ever play the game. He played 91, 111, 108 and then 144 games int he last 4 seasons. To me that seems that he is injury prone. And at 33 years old, being a catcher is the equivelant to having a 39 year old starting pitcher IMO.

Pudge would be a great signing for a team that is looking for that extra piece to get over a hump. Maybe the Red Sox, Astros, or Cubs...But by no means is he going to help the Tigers as much as two younger arms wouldve. This is like a novelty signing for the Tigers if you ask me. Someone for the fans to root for, but someone who is not going to help them long-term. And long-term is the direction the Tigers need to be looking in. Maybe thatll clarify MO of the whole situation.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
Pudge would be a great signing for a team that is looking for that extra piece to get over a hump. Maybe the Red Sox, Astros, or Cubs...But by no means is he going to help the Tigers as much as two younger arms wouldve. This is like a novelty signing for the Tigers if you ask me. Someone for the fans to root for, but someone who is not going to help them long-term. And long-term is the direction the Tigers need to be looking in. Maybe thatll clarify MO of the whole situation.

Indeed it did and I couldn't agree more, he is not someone who is going to help a team that is rebuilding and far from contention but two young arms would be more sensible in their case. I also agree with your novelty suggestion, they're probably just looking for a few more asses in all those empty seats.

BTW, he did play alot more games last season than usual, he has missed signifigant time due to injury throughout his career.

Ben

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
looks like he could be less injury-prone he played very well last season, leading the marlins.

new topics

top topics

join