It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Tug McGraw passes away :(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I just heard some really sad news, one of my favorite baseball players growing up has passed away from brain cancer at the young age of 59. Tug McGraw was a great pitcher but more importantly a great person.

I'll never forget the 1980 World Series when he was on the mound for the Phillies for the last out against the Royals. He was such a fan favorite here in Philly even up until his death. He reenacted that final out of the '80 World Series during the closing ceremonies for Veterans Stadium just a couple months back. He got a very long standing ovation that day as the fans were applauding the Tugger and his miraculous recovery from the cancer that caught up with him just a few hours ago. He was diagnosed right before last season and he made incredible improvement and was hosting charity events and outings, I was really shocked to hear this news.

Alot of you probably dont remember him or maybe never even heard of him. I watched him growing up as a kid and as a huge baseball fan and he will surely be missed. Maybe some of you know of his son who is a famous country singer, Tim McGraw.

R.I.P. TUG MCGRAW

1944-2004

mlb.mlb.com...

"The Tugger"

"You Gotta Believe"

"The colorful left-hander, who had names for all his pitches, coined the phrase "Ya gotta believe!" during the Mets' improbable run to the 1973 National League pennant. McGraw maintained the slogan when he needed it most -- through his nearly year-long fight with cancer."

With the Phillies, McGraw was on teams that won NL East titles from 1976-78, the World Series in 1980 and the NL pennant in 1983. The 1981 Phillies also reached postseason play during a strike-shortened season.

Without McGraw, the Phillies never would have won their first World Series in 1980. After coming off the disabled list in July of that season, McGraw allowed just three earned runs the rest of the season and compiled a 0.52 ERA during that span.

I forgot I started a thread last year when he got sick, feels like so long ago.

www.sportztawk.com...

[Edited on 5-1-2004 by ProudAmerican]

Ben

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
he sounded like a good pitcher...i wonder why i never heard of him

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
he sounded like a good pitcher...i wonder why i never heard of him

He retired after the 1985 season so he's probably a bit before your time.

TRD

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Well i havn't heard of him either,but he sounded a good player...

"" Without McGraw, the Phillies never would have won their first World Series in 1980. After coming off the disabled list in July of that season, McGraw allowed just three earned runs the rest of the season and compiled a 0.52 ERA during that span. "" AWESOME!!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Yeah TRD, he was pretty awesome. He was a great closer back when closers weren't very well known.

I was only 10 years old when they won that World Series but I remember it like it was yesterday. Tugger retired 18 years ago but he stayed here in the Philly area and helped the Phillies as an instructor and he is one of the city's most popualr sports figures ever. He really was an animated guy, always making jokes and pulling pranks and ALWAYS had a smile on his face.

Look out, the baseball team in heaven just acquired a great pitcher.

Ben

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
maybe hes in the field of dreams

top topics

join