It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: 2003 NL Cy Young award

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 10:26 PM
link   
so who's gonna get it?
1. Eric Gagne
2. John Smoltz
3. Russ Ortiz
4. other

here's what i think. if the dodgers make it to the playoffs, and gagne doesn't blow any saves he might get it. if smoltz breaks the saves in a season record (which is doubtfull since he's on the 15 day DL due to tendinitis) he'll get it, especially since his ERA is below 1. Russ Ortiz could get it if the above perform below expectations. those are my thoughts, and there really is no clear cut answer since the above 3 depend on how the other 2 perform or more correctly how the other 2 don't perform. what do you think?

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:05 AM
link   
That's a tough one, and there is still 5 weeks left. It obviuosly hurts Smoltz being placed on the DL. If I had to pick someone to win it today I'd pick Gagne, he's been awesome, hasn't blown a save all year and has 19 one-run saves. Ortiz is having an incredible year as well, although not many people are talking about him. Actually Peter Gammons on ESPN said tonight he would pick Hideo Nomo of LA if he had to choose one pitcher to win the Cy Young as of now.

Who would you pick in the AL? I think Esteban Loiaza of the ChiSox and Roy Halladay of the Jays are probably the leading candidates as of now.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 07:53 AM
link   
i don't know who i'd pick in the AL i don't really follow it. i'll check on how the twins are doing to get some goods to tease some of my coworkers with but their winning this year so i can't do that.

join