It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: the best pitch in baseball?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   
just curious as to what everyone thinks the best pitch in baseball is. i'm not talking pitchers but the best pitch. i have my idea but i want to see what everyone else says before i reveal my thoughts on this.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Very interesting question aegis.

What do you mean by the "best"? The hardest to hit?

I think the hardest to hit is probably the knuckleball with absolutely no rotation on the ball whatsoever, Tim Wakefield on the RedSox is a knuckleball pitcher. You would think it would be easy to hit as slow as it is pitched, but it's unreal how much the ball moves with no rotation. I know how to throw one but what I cant figure out is how they are accurate with it with such an awkward delivery.

The screwball is a pretty wacky pitch also. The curveball is pretty basic but a few pitchers throw a knuckle-curve.

I pitched for years in little league and learned to throw a number of pitches although we were discouraged to do so as they dont think it's good for a kid's arm. I played baseball in high school as well, but didn't pitch.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 10:14 PM
link   
ok so here it comes, the best pitch in baseball, without a doubt is any pitch, as long as it's a strike. balls bore me, as do walksl. so i guess you could say that the best hit in baseball is a base hit.

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 06:38 PM
link   
well my favorite pitch is the splitter, but as far as what i think is the best i think its:

a good fastball accompanied with a changeup.(well its two pitches actualy but i love seeing pitchers throw something +95 mph and then changing speeds and making the batter swing way in front of it
)

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 11:23 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If you are talking pitch as type wise I would saya straight up 95 mile an hour fastball. But a curvve ball from Barry Zito is the most breaking pitch that will fool even the most skilled and experenced player.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I agree. That curveball he has is just about unhittable.

Ben

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I think that one of the best pitches in baseball is the cutter by Mariona Rivera.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Bert Blylieven's curve

(HE DESERVES TO BE IN THE HALL OF FAME!)

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Barry Zito curve.
Kyle Farnsworth Fastball

Ben

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 10:24 AM
link   
i always like the Rockets high heat

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The slider. If Teddy Ballgame say's it's the hardest to hit, it is.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The best pitch in baseball is strike one. Any pitching coach will tell you that.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The best pitch in baseball hands down is a well placed fastball. Any pro will tell you that.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
lol, but seriously, strike one is the most important pitch in baseball, because for a pitcher to be affective, he needs to throw strikes.

MLB.com: Do you have a favorite type of pitch?

Schilling: Strike one.

- www.mlb.com...
(check it out for yourself)
oh and by the way, any pro will tell you that.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I like the circle change

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
the best pitch is not actually just one pitch, but having two pitches. if you can only throw one pitch, you're screwed. if you can throw a crazy curveball like zito, you still need faster stuff to keep them off balance. if you have a fastball like pedro, you still need that changeup so they can't sit on your fastball. you could, in theory, only throw two pitches, one faster and one slower, but there is no one who could throw just one pitch and succeed...

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Mariano Rivera Has One pitch.. The damn thing jumps around though.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
ok his 4 seam fastball his cutter and his slider

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Screwball is good if done right, and i like the knuckle curve

top topics

join