It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Sosa's new nickname

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 01:10 AM
link   
What should Sammy Sosa's new nickname be, Toenail or Corky?

- Sosa, the Chicago Cubs' star slugger, 17th on the career home-run list, was ejected in the first inning of Tuesday night's 3-2 win over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays after umpires found cork in his shattered bat.

Sosa, who gained national prominence in 1998 during his home-run battle with Mark McGwire, said he had the corked bat "for batting practice _ just to put on a show for the fans ... I like to make people happy and I do that in batting practice.''

Cork inside a wooden bat is thought to help players hit the ball farther and is against baseball rules. Several players have been caught using altered bats in the past, including Albert Belle, Wilton Guerrero, Chris Sabo, Billy Hatcher and Graig Nettles. All were suspended.
Security workers were seen carting off two boxes of Sosa's bats in the ninth inning, as well as a bat bag.

- Sosa just came off the disabled last Friday after having the nail taken off his big right toe and missing 17 games.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   
How about corky tonail Sosa.The corked gimp.What the hell was Sammy thinking?

Now what do we do about the points TRD got from Sosa?Do his home runs still count.J/K TRD......

TRD

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Oh dear well i dunno what to say...Looks like sammy has "corked" it up this time!!

After the major Toe Nail op you would think he wouldnt want anymore contraversy but i think Nyeff hit the NAIL on the head What the Hell was he playing at,you would think he would TOE the line...

Will he get suspended?? because i better start looking for a replacement...

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am seriously torn on what is worse...I mean 17 days is a long ass time to recover from a toenail(pussy). But using a corked bat when your as good as he is already is just stupid as hell.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i was thinking more along the lines of LOSER. it wouldn't be such a big deal if so many little kids didn't look up to him. until this incident he was in my opinion one of the best role model players out there, someone i would be happy to have my kids idolize. but now he's just as dirty as the rest of the cheaters, steroid takers, what have you of MLB. i'm very disappointed with him. whether he grabbed that bat on accident or not, why did he even have it. if you can't legally use a corked bat, why even have one? again i say LOSER.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
i was thinking more along the lines of LOSER. it wouldn't be such a big deal if so many little kids didn't look up to him. until this incident he was in my opinion one of the best role model players out there, someone i would be happy to have my kids idolize. but now he's just as dirty as the rest of the cheaters, steroid takers, what have you of MLB. i'm very disappointed with him. whether he grabbed that bat on accident or not, why did he even have it. if you can't legally use a corked bat, why even have one? again i say LOSER.

I completely agree...this guy is supposed to be a role model? I mean its not really as bad as getting arrested or something but it shows a lack of integrity

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   
he seemed kind of ho-hum about it all in the press conference, like its not a big deal at all.

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is a funny thread, but it's not really a laughing matter. What the hell was he thinking? I can't believe a player of his standing would make such a dramtic error of judgement.

TRD

posted on Jun, 8 2003 @ 05:05 AM
link   
error of judgement is a understatement more like he cheated and for how long...!

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 04:01 AM
link   
BALTIMORE -- Sammy Sosa's first road game since being caught with an illegal bat featured warm applause, a potentially dangerous fan and, of course, plenty of cork.

Sosa doubled and scored the Chicago Cubs' first run, and Shawn Estes pitched seven innings of six-hit ball Tuesday night in a 4-0 victory over the Baltimore Orioles.

First, Sosa received a cordial ovation from the crowd of 32,484 when he went to right field in the first inning.

The game was interrupted in the bottom of the eighth when a fan ran onto the outfield, threw cork at Sosa, removed his shirt and bowed to the slugger.

"That was another comedian, another idiot,'' Sosa said.

No one was laughing.

sports.espn.go.com...

TRD

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Man that was so funny i hope he gets banned for a long time....

TRD

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Sammy Sosa's suspension for using a corked bat in a game against Tampa Bay last week was reduced from eight games to seven Wednesday by Bob DuPuy, MLB's president and COO. Sosa will begin serving the suspension tonight and, barring rainouts, will be eligible to return next Wednesday when the Cubs play at Cincinnati.Well i don't think that was long enough he should have got more of a suspension...

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Major League Baseball reduced their eight-game suspension on Sammy Sosa (OF) ChN by one game after accepting his explaination that he simply made a mistake when he used a corked bat on June 3, according to the AP. Sosa, who had an appeal hearing with league officials on Tuesday, will begin his suspension tonight and is eligible to return on June 18.

TRD

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   
hey i already posted that...lol

But as i said i think he got off lightly and should have been banned for more games...

top topics

join