It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Ripken...Rose in hall of Fame.?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 07:54 AM
link   
DENVER -- Cal Ripken believes Pete Rose should be allowed in the Hall of Fame, but he's not sure if it would be a good idea to let the all-time hits leader back in baseball.

Ripken, in Denver as part of a speaking tour, said Rose's reinstatement and his entrance into the Hall of Fame are two separate issues.

"The first one is really easy. He should be in the Hall of Fame,'' said Ripken, who also threw out the first pitch before the Colorado Rockies' game against the Montreal Expos. "His career should be celebrated in the Hall of Fame. He has the most hits.''

Commissioner Bud Selig is weighing whether to reinstate Rose, who accepted a permanent ban in August 1989 and spent time in prison for failing to pay federal taxes. He acknowledged gambling with bookmakers, but denied betting on baseball.

Because of Rose's actions, Ripken is not convinced that he should be allowed back in baseball.

"I know that gambling almost killed baseball many years ago,'' Ripken said. "To actually examine that issue and say whether he should be involved in baseball or associated with baseball, I don't know. I think you have to go to a smarter person than I to actually decide that.''

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I have maintained my position all along that Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. He is the all-time hits leader ever, he deserves some recognition, he is human. I'm glad to see Cal Ripken defending Pete, Ripken is very respected in baseball and his voice carries alot of weight.

TRD

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I can agree with that PA...He's a sportsman,commend him for what he has achieved in the game.Thats what the hall of fame is for....
What he does outside of sport is his own buisiness....

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Yeah he belongs, hes suffered long enough

doesnt mean I like him however.

[Edited on 04/10/03 by Cannon]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I can agree with that PA...He's a sportsman,commend him for what he has achieved in the game.Thats what the hall of fame is for....
What he does outside of sport is his own buisiness....

He did it with a Reds uniform on. How is this outside of sport?

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
who cares if he bet....honestly put the guy in the HOF people bet all the time....until the late 60's tons of the players were alcoholics...in the early part of the century all of the players were horrible human beings.....who cares? its baseball rose and jackson should be in

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Really, he gambled when he was a manager anyway...Bud Selig...DO YOUR JOB!!!

top topics

join